Electric Motor Drive Question

In summary, the conversation discussed the capabilities of a variable frequency drive (VFD) in controlling motor torque and speed. It was questioned if both variables could be controlled simultaneously and if torque and speed were isolated from each other. The concept of power, torque, and speed was also mentioned in relation to controlling tension and speed of a moving web. The conversation concluded that the primary function of a VFD is to control RPM and the torque specification is a safety feature to protect the motor.
tomizzo
Can a variable frequency drive with the ability to control motor torque, be programmed to run at a certain speed and torque? Or can you only control one of these variables because a change in one will affect the change in another?
I noticed that in certain drives, there is speed control and torque control. Are these isolated from one another? Is it possible that when torque is controlled, the speed of the drive is somehow proportional?

I understand that torque multiplied by speed is power. Is it possible to set a motor to operate at a certain torque and speed as long as it is within the motor’s rated power and torque?
The reason I ask these questions is because I’m trying to control tension and speed of a moving web. I believe that the torque produced by the motor will determine tension, however, I don’t understand how to change how fast the web will move. It seems like if the tension remains constant, than that would mean that the motor torque would remain constant and the torque would not effect the speed. Any help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It seems to me that speed and torque are dependent on each other based on the needs of the load, so other than establishing a torque limit, I don't see how you could control both at once.

The primary requirement of the VFD would be the control the RPM.
The torque specification is probably a programmed upper limit to the permitted current. It is there to protect the motor when something goes wrong.

1. What is an electric motor drive?

An electric motor drive is a device that controls the speed, torque, and direction of an electric motor by varying the frequency and voltage of the power supplied to it. It is a crucial component in a wide range of industrial and commercial applications, from electric vehicles to factory machinery.

2. How does an electric motor drive work?

An electric motor drive works by converting direct current (DC) power into alternating current (AC) power, which is then fed to the electric motor. The drive uses electronic controls to precisely adjust the frequency and voltage of the AC power to control the motor's speed and torque.

3. What are the benefits of using an electric motor drive?

The use of an electric motor drive offers numerous benefits, including improved energy efficiency, better control and precision over motor operation, reduced maintenance costs, and increased longevity of the motor. It also allows for smoother and quieter operation of the motor.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing an electric motor drive?

When selecting an electric motor drive, it is essential to consider factors such as the motor's power rating, voltage and current requirements, speed and torque requirements, and the type of control needed (e.g., variable frequency or variable voltage). Environmental factors, such as temperature and humidity, should also be taken into account.

5. Are there different types of electric motor drives?

Yes, there are various types of electric motor drives, including AC drives, DC drives, servo drives, and stepper drives. Each type is designed for specific motor types and applications, and they differ in terms of control methods, performance, and cost. It is essential to choose the right type of drive for the specific motor and application to achieve optimal performance.