Register to reply

Clausius-Clapeyron equation

by courtrigrad
Tags: clausiusclapeyron, equation
Share this thread:
courtrigrad
Nov19-05, 10:49 PM
P: 1,236
I know that the relationship between pressure and temperature for an ideal gas is linear. The relationship between vapor pressure and temperature for a liquid, however, is exponential. To make it linear we take the natural log and end up with: [tex] \ln P = -\frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{RT} + b [/tex]. How did we get [tex] -\frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{RT}[/tex] to be the slope? The y-axis is [tex] \ln P [/tex] and the x-axis is [tex] \frac{1000}{T} [/tex].

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
courtrigrad
Nov20-05, 07:01 AM
anybody have any ideas?

thanks
da_willem
Nov20-05, 10:02 AM
P: 599
I'm not sure what your question really is but if you plot lnP vs 1000/T the slope will be

[tex] -\frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{1000 R} [/tex]

ShawnD
Nov20-05, 01:51 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 986
Clausius-Clapeyron equation

Quote Quote by plugpoint
To make it linear we take the natural log and end up with: [tex] \ln P = -\frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{RT} + b [/tex]. How did we get [tex] -\frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{RT}[/tex] to be the slope? The y-axis is [tex] \ln P [/tex] and the x-axis is [tex] \frac{1000}{T} [/tex].
The slope will be whatever -Hvap/RT is divided by to get the x axis. If I have y=ab and I plot y vs b, the slope is a. If I plot y vs a, the slope is b. The only (theoretical) way you will get -Hvap/RT as the slope is if you plotted lnP vs 1, but this doesn't make any sense. So in conclusion, you will never get -Hvap/RT as your slope

Which variable are you trying to solve or prove something for?
courtrigrad
Nov20-05, 01:58 PM
The slope was actually [tex]\frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{R} [/tex]. I think it was meant to be written as: [tex] \ln P = -\frac{\Delta H_{vap}}{R}\frac{1}{T} + b [/tex]

Is this correct?

Thanks
GCT
Nov20-05, 04:26 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,769
yes, and assuming that we're referring to vapor pressure 1 as 1atm, b is

(DHvap/R)1/T(1atm)

Register to reply