Clausius-Clapeyron equation to estimate sublimation pressure of water

In summary, the Clapeyron equation is used to calculate the equilibrium vapor pressure of ice at -30 C. There is data in the table for saturated water at that temperature, so the equation can be solved. Phase 1 is assumed to be at -30 C, phase 2 at 0.01 C, and the pressure at phase 1 is found to be 0.6117 kPa. The enthalpy of vaporisation at 273 is 51.1 kJ/kg, and the answer for the vapor pressure of ice at -30 C is 0.03813 kPa.
WhiteWolf98
Homework Statement
Using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation and the triple-point data of water, estimate the sublimation pressure of water at ##-30°C## and compare to the value in your Thermodynamic Tables (Cengel and Boles).
Relevant Equations
##\int_1^2 (\frac {dP} P)_{sat}=\frac {\Delta h} {R} \int_1^2(\frac {dT} {T^2})_{sat}##
Before this question, the questions were about the Clapeyron equation, and how to estimate ##\Delta s##. I'm completely put off by this question however, and don't know where to start.

I've found that the triple point of water is at ##0.01°C##, and there is indeed data in the table for saturated water, for that temperature. So I know I've got this data available to me, but what next? I know also that sublimation is a state transition directly from a solid to a gas. How is sublimation linked to the triple point, and how do I manipulate this equation to find a single pressure?

After integration, the equation involves two pressures and two temperatures: what are states ##1## and ##2##, and in what state are we taking ##\Delta h## at?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are trying to determine the equilibrium vapor pressure of ice at -30 C, knowing the equilibrium vapor pressure and the molar heat of sublimation at 0.01 C (assuming that the heat of sublimation does not change significantly over the intervening temperature range).

Likes WhiteWolf98
After reading your response, I've had an attempt at the solution, and can't seem to reach the right answer.

I took phase ##1## to be at ##-30°C##, and phase ##2## at ##0.01°C##. Manipulating the equation to find the pressure at phase ##1##:

##ln(P_1)=ln(P_2)-\frac {\Delta h} R (\frac 1 {T_1} - \frac 1 {T_2})_{sat}##

##R=8.31~JK^{-1}mol^{-1}## >> (assuming this is the same as ##8.31~JK^{-1}kg^{-1}##

##T_1=243.15~K##

##T_2=273.16~K##

##P_2## I took to be ##saturation~pressure## at the triple point. From the tables, this pressure is ##0.6117~kPa##.

##\Delta h##, initially, I took from the table. The table value for ##\Delta h## at ##0.01°C## is ##2500.9~kJ/kg##. However, this value of ##\Delta h## I believe is the enthalpy of vaporisation, ##h_{fg}##.

Using this first value of ##\Delta h## provides an answer that couldn't possibly ever be correct. That's ##2500(1000)~J##.

So, I went online, and from Wikipedia I got a value for the ##enthalpy~of~sublimation## at ##273.15~K## (close enough). This value is ##51.1~kJ/mol## which I assume again, is the same as ##51.1~kJ/kg##.

Using these numbers in the equation, and multiplying the enthalpy by a thousand, yields the result:

##P_2=0.0380~kPa##.

The answer given is: ##P_2=0.03824~kPa##.

So there is a very small difference; insignificant, I would think. I'm just a little worried that I took a value off of the internet, rather than using the thermodynamic tables provided. I don't see however, where else I would get that value from. There is no such value for enthalpy of sublimation in the tables.

The heat of vaporization of water at 273 is 2501 kJ/kg and the heat of melting of water at 273 is 335 kJ/kg. So the heat of sublimation is 2501 + 335 = 2836 kJ/kg = 51048 J/mole. So your answer is correct: 38.1 Pa

Last edited:
Likes WhiteWolf98
After a little thinking, I believe I've made a mistake using the universal gas constant, ##8.31~J K^{-1}mol^{-1}##. I honestly don't know how I got the correct answer doing the calculation how I did. From the thermodynamic tables, the gas constant, ##R##, for steam, is ##0.4615~kJ kg^{-1} K^{-1}##. This means back in the equation, I no longer have to multiply by a thousand.

That's the gas constant sorted. Next, the enthalpy of sublimation:

##\Delta h_{sub}=51.1~\frac {kJ} {mol}(\frac {1~mol} {18.02~g})(\frac {1000~g} {1~kg})=2836~kJ kg^{-1}~(to~4~s.f.)##

Well, NOW after a little ##more## experimenting, it appears the fraction ##\frac {\Delta h} R## doesn't really change much between using these pairs of values. I don't know why. Using these new values however yields the answer: ##P_2=0.03809~kPa##, which I guess is a little closer. Is it wrong the way I did it before?

And I've just noticed my value for the enthalpy of sublimination is exactly the same as the one you've just stated.

Your latest comment I believe answers all my questions. In the tables, I'm given a value for the latent heat of fusion and vaporisation; summing these yields the latent heat of sublimination. I still think I'm missing something as the answers aren't ##exactly## the same, but I can refer to my lecturer for that. For the sake of completeness:

Enthalpy of vaporisation at ##0.01°C## is ##2500.9~kJ/kg##

Enthalpy of fusion for water is ##333.7~kJ/kg##

Enthalpy of sublimation: ##2500.9+333.7=2834.6~kJ/kg##

This value has been obtained using only what's given in the thermodynamic tables. Using this value for the enthalpy in the main equation gives a final answer of:

##P_2=0.03813~kPa##

Closest value yet, and I also believe this to be the most 'correct' answer as it's using only what's given.

Thank you for your help Chestermiller! Is there any way to mark questions as, 'solved'. I know there was before, though I can't seem to find how to do it anymore (if you still can).

WhiteWolf98 said:
After a little thinking, I believe I've made a mistake using the universal gas constant, ##8.31~J K^{-1}mol^{-1}##. I honestly don't know how I got the correct answer doing the calculation how I did. From the thermodynamic tables, the gas constant, ##R##, for steam, is ##0.4615~kJ kg^{-1} K^{-1}##. This means back in the equation, I no longer have to multiply by a thousand.

That's the gas constant sorted. Next, the enthalpy of sublimation:

##\Delta h_{sub}=51.1~\frac {kJ} {mol}(\frac {1~mol} {18.02~g})(\frac {1000~g} {1~kg})=2836~kJ kg^{-1}~(to~4~s.f.)##

Well, NOW after a little ##more## experimenting, it appears the fraction ##\frac {\Delta h} R## doesn't really change much between using these pairs of values. I don't know why. Using these new values however yields the answer: ##P_2=0.03809~kPa##, which I guess is a little closer. Is it wrong the way I did it before?

And I've just noticed my value for the enthalpy of sublimination is exactly the same as the one you've just stated.

Your latest comment I believe answers all my questions. In the tables, I'm given a value for the latent heat of fusion and vaporisation; summing these yields the latent heat of sublimination. I still think I'm missing something as the answers aren't ##exactly## the same, but I can refer to my lecturer for that. For the sake of completeness:

Enthalpy of vaporisation at ##0.01°C## is ##2500.9~kJ/kg##

Enthalpy of fusion for water is ##333.7~kJ/kg##

Enthalpy of sublimation: ##2500.9+333.7=2834.6~kJ/kg##

This value has been obtained using only what's given in the thermodynamic tables. Using this value for the enthalpy in the main equation gives a final answer of:

##P_2=0.03813~kPa##

Closest value yet, and I also believe this to be the most 'correct' answer as it's using only what's given.

Thank you for your help Chestermiller! Is there any way to mark questions as, 'solved'. I know there was before, though I can't seem to find how to do it anymore (if you still can).
You did it correctly. You just got to make sure the units match and cancel properly.

Likes WhiteWolf98

What is the Clausius-Clapeyron equation?

The Clausius-Clapeyron equation is a thermodynamic equation that relates the vapor pressure of a substance to its temperature. It is used to estimate the sublimation pressure of water, which is the pressure at which water transitions directly from a solid to a gas (vapor) without passing through the liquid phase.

How is the Clausius-Clapeyron equation derived?

The Clausius-Clapeyron equation is derived from the combination of the ideal gas law and the heat of vaporization equation. It takes into account the change in enthalpy and entropy of a substance as it undergoes a phase change.

What is the significance of the Clausius-Clapeyron equation in studying water vapor?

The Clausius-Clapeyron equation is important in studying water vapor because it allows us to estimate the sublimation pressure of water at different temperatures. This is useful in various fields such as meteorology, atmospheric science, and materials science.

What are the assumptions made in the Clausius-Clapeyron equation?

The Clausius-Clapeyron equation assumes that the substance is in a closed system, the vapor phase behaves ideally, and the heat of vaporization remains constant over the temperature range of interest.

How accurate is the Clausius-Clapeyron equation in estimating sublimation pressure of water?

The accuracy of the Clausius-Clapeyron equation in estimating sublimation pressure of water depends on the quality and availability of experimental data used to determine the heat of vaporization. In general, it provides a good estimate for most practical applications, but more complex equations may be needed for more accurate results.