Optimizing Tunnel Design: Calculus of Variations on a Spherical Earth

In summary: The first is the Euclidean frame in which the problem is solved using calculus. This is the frame you are probably most familiar with and in which the tunnel should be a cylindrical shape. The second is the inertial frame in which the tunnel should be a sphere. This is the frame of reference in which the particle is stationary and the only force acting on it is the gravitational force. This frame is more appropriate for problems like the moon landing where the gravitational force is the only force acting on the objects. In summary, the tunnel should be a sphere in order to minimize the time it takes for a particle to travel between the two points.
No Name Required
Presume the Earth is spherical, homogeneous and of radius [tex]R[/tex]. What should be the shape of a tunnel connecting two points on the surface in order to minimize the time it takes for a particle to travel between the two points.

I have had a go at doing it in both polar and cartesian co-ordinates but am getting stuck. I'm fairly sure we are supposed to do it in cartesian but this way is proving particularly tricky.

What i have done is this;

Using some basic physics and energy conservation I have found that

[tex]\displaystyle{v(r) = \sqrt{\frac{g}{R}(R^2 - r^2)}}[/tex]

or

[tex]\displaystyle{v = \sqrt{\frac{g}{R}(R^2 - x^2 - y^2)}}[/tex]

[tex]ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2[/tex]

[tex]ds = \sqrt{1 + (y')^2} \; dx[/tex]

So [tex]\displaystyle{\int t = \frac{ds}{v} = \sqrt{\frac{R}{g}} \int \frac{\sqrt{1 + (y')^2}}{\sqrt{R^2 - x^2 - y^2} \; dx}[/tex]

The functional is

[tex]\displaystyle{T[x, y, y'] = \sqrt{\frac{R}{g}} \frac{\sqrt{1 + (y')^2}}{\sqrt{R^2 - x^2 - y^2}}[/tex]

This is the problem, I've never dealt with a functional like this before. Up until now, any functional has had a cyclic coordinate which has made it nice and simple. This fuctional depends explicitly on both [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex].

Is what I've done so far correct? How can I go about finishing the problem

The question also gives the answer that should be obtained

[tex]\displaystyle{x(\theta) = (R - r) \cos \left(\frac{R}{r}\theta \right) + r \cos \left(\frac{R - r}{R} \theta \right)}[/tex]

and

[tex]\displaystyle{y(\theta) = (R - r) \sin \left(\frac{R}{r}\theta \right) - r \sin \left(\frac{R - r}{R} \theta \right)}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
bump... any ideas anyone?

Assuming your functional is correct, why don't you proceed with calculating the Euler-Lagrange differential equation. If you do it in polar coordiantes with the correct functional, the ELDE can be integrated once giving the equation for a hypocycloid in polar coordiantes. It can then be written parametrically giving you the answer your book provided. I don't know why your professor would have a bias towards either method, generally they like to see the simplest solution.

So you get to neglect Coriolis effects?

Carl

I found I a cool link on a GR brachistrone problem. It becomes an interesting problem in that there are then 2 distinct frames from which to minimize the travel time.

FAQ: Optimizing Tunnel Design: Calculus of Variations on a Spherical Earth

What is the Calculus of Variations?

The Calculus of Variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal value of a function, also known as the "extremum", by minimizing or maximizing a certain quantity. It is used to solve problems where there is a dependence on a function and its derivatives.

What are some applications of the Calculus of Variations?

The Calculus of Variations has a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. Some examples include finding the path of a light ray through a medium with varying refractive index, determining the shape of a soap film, and optimizing the trajectory of a spacecraft.

What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a fundamental equation in the Calculus of Variations that is used to find the extrema of a functional. It states that for a functional F that depends on a function y and its derivatives, the extrema satisfy the equation F' - d/dx(F'y') = 0.

What is the difference between the Calculus of Variations and traditional calculus?

Traditional calculus deals with finding the extrema of a function, while the Calculus of Variations deals with finding the extrema of a functional. This means that in traditional calculus, the independent variable is a number, while in the Calculus of Variations, the independent variable is a function.

What are some prerequisites for studying the Calculus of Variations?

A strong understanding of single and multivariable calculus, including derivatives and integrals, is necessary for studying the Calculus of Variations. Familiarity with differential equations and basic linear algebra is also recommended.

Back