Register to reply

Polar coordinate

by teng125
Tags: coordinate, polar
Share this thread:
teng125
Jan12-06, 09:56 AM
P: 422
x^2 + 2x + 5 = 0.Find the root of this eqn.can use polar system.

is the answer=(-1+2i) @ (-1-2i)??
pls help.......
thanx....
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
StatusX
Jan12-06, 10:19 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,566
That answer is in cartesian form. A polar answer looks like r e. Polar coordinates wouldn't really be appropriate to do this problem, although you could easily put the final answer from cartesian form, z=a+bi, into polar coordinates using r2=a2+b2, Θ=tan-1(b/a).
teng125
Jan12-06, 10:23 AM
can youpls show me the stpes??plsssss

StatusX
Jan12-06, 10:34 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,566
Polar coordinate

I won't do it for you, but I'll answer any specific questions you have. But if you are going to use cartesion coordinates, just use the quadratic formula.
teng125
Jan12-06, 10:36 AM
i have tried it.so is it the ans is 5^1/2 e(j0.6476pai)??
HallsofIvy
Jan12-06, 02:54 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,293
Please copy the problem exactly as it is given to you. In your first post you said
"x^2 + 2x + 5 = 0.Find the root of this eqn.can use polar system.

is the answer=(-1+2i) @ (-1-2i)??"

"can use polar system" doesn't mean you have to! It's easy to solve the equation by completing the square. Yes, the solutions are
x= -1+ 2i and x= -1- 2i. Are you required to write the answers in polar form?
aalmighty
Jan13-06, 03:37 PM
P: 17
AFAIK, there's no polar equivalent to adding numbers, so If anyone who knows how to solve it using polar system, please let us know.

Apart from that, it most prolly is to find the roots using quadratic formula in cartesian form ( x+iy ) and convert it to polar form

r(e)^iD, where r=sqrt(x^2+y^2) and angle D=arctan(y/x)
teng125
Jan13-06, 03:38 PM
ya,require.....
aalmighty
Jan13-06, 03:48 PM
P: 17
then convert using the expressions I gave in the last post.
HallsofIvy
Jan14-06, 10:23 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,293
Polar form of the number a+ bi is either [itex]r(cos\theta+ i sin\theta)[/itex] or [itex]r e^{i\theta}[/itex] (since [itex]e^{i \theta}= cos\theta+ i sin\theta[/itex] they are equivalent) where r is |a+ bi| and [itex]\theta[/itex] is the "argument" or angle the line through (0,0) and (a,b) makes with the positive real axis. For a+ bi, [itex]r= \sqrt{a^2+ b^2}[/itex] and [itex]\theta= arctan(\frac{b}{a})[/itex] as long as a is not 0. If a is 0 and b is positive, then [itex]\theta= \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]. If a is 0 and b is negative, then [itex]\theta= -\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]. The number 0 (0+ 0i) cannot be written in "polar form".

If you were given a problem requiring the answer in polar form, surely you were already taught all of that?

Register to reply