Solve the problem involving the cubic function

chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
cubic equations and roots.
The problem and solution are posted... no. 8

I may need insight on common difference ...

1708681081283.png

1708681276104.png

In my lines i have,
Let the roots be ##(b), (b-1)## and ##(b+1)##.
Then,
##x^3-3bx^2+3cx-d = a(x-b(x-b+1)(x-b-1)##

##x^3-3bx^2+3cx-d= a(x^3-3bx^2+3b^2x-x-b^3+b)##
##a=1##.

Let

##f(x)=x^3-3bx^2+3b^2x-x-b^3+b##

Using Factor theorem,

##f(b)=b^3-3b^3+3b^3-b-b^3+b=0##

##f(b)=0## thus ##b## is a root of the cubic equation.

For the condition, we solve the equations,

##x^3-3bx^2+3cx-d= x^3-3bx^2+3b^2x-x-b^3+b##

##(3b^2-1)=3c##
##-b^3+b=-d##

##⇒b(b^2-(3b^2-3c))=d##

##b(-2b^2+3c)=d##

##2b^3-3bc+d=0##.

Any insight ...let me work on common difference later...

Physics news on Phys.org
You are asked to prove that [itex]b[/itex] is a root; you cannot therefore assume that [itex]b[/itex] is a root, or that the common difference is 1.

The cubic with leading cofficient 1 with [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]p \pm q[/itex] as roots is [tex]
(x - p)((x - p)^2 - q^2) \equiv (x - p)^3 - q^2(x-p).[/tex] To compare this to our cubic, complete the cube to obtain [tex]\begin{split}
x^3 - 3bx^2 + 3cx - d &= (x - b)^3 - 3(b^2 - c)x + b^3 - d \\
&= (x - b)^3 - 3(b^2 - c) \left(x - \frac{b^3 - d}{3(b^2 - c)}\right). \end{split}[/tex] Now by comparison we must have [tex]\begin{split}
p &= b = \frac{b^3 - d}{3(b^2 - c)} \\
q^2 &= 3(b^2 - c).\end{split}[/tex]

• Informative
Likes docnet, chwala and SammyS
pasmith said:
You are asked to prove that [itex]b[/itex] is a root; you cannot therefore assume that [itex]b[/itex] is a root, or that the common difference is 1.

The cubic with leading cofficient 1 with [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]p \pm q[/itex] as roots is [tex]
(x - p)((x - p)^2 - q^2) \equiv (x - p)^3 - q^2(x-p).[/tex] To compare this to our cubic, complete the cube to obtain [tex]\begin{split}
&= (x - b)^3 - 3(b^2 - c) \left(x - \frac{b^3 - d}{3(b^2 - c)}\right). \end{split}[/tex] Now by comparison we must have [tex]\begin{split}
I will go through your steps...cheers.

In order to show ##b## is a root, you need to show ##f(b)=0##. Notice that the only thing you can conclude from the assumption of arithmetic progression is that the roots are ##b-r,b, b+r##, or ##b, b+r, b+2r##. You're assuming ##r=1##.

Likes chwala
WWGD said:
In order to show ##b## is a root, you need to show ##f(b)=0##. Notice that the only thing you can conclude from the assumption of arithmetic progression is that the roots are ##b-r,b, b+r##, or ##b, b+r, b+2r##. You're assuming ##r=1##.
yes, that was a mistake. I will re look into the steps...

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
While this did bear repeating, @pasmith covered this all very well in his earlier post.

SammyS said:
While this did bear repeating, @pasmith covered this all very well in his earlier post.
I think the emphasis on the ##r## part ... specifically let me state it as ##{d}## in terms of arithmetic progression was necessary...

pasmith said:

Your steps are clear; though on the last line where you have,

##p=b=\dfrac{b^3-d}{3(b^2-c)}## is a bit confusing, this would imply that

##b=\dfrac{b^3-d}{3(b^2-c)}## which may not be true ... unless we have the condition that

##2b^3=3bc+d##.

WWGD said:
Okay using what you and @pasmith hinted,
let the roots be ##(b-r), b## and ##(b+r)##
then we shall have ##(x-b)(x-b-r)9x-b+r)=(x-b)[(x-b)^2 -r^2]##

then,

##(x-b)^3-r^2(x-b)=x^3-3x^2b +3b^2x-r^2x-b^3+r^2b##

Let

##f(x)= (x-b)^3-r^2(x-b)=x^3-3x^2b +3b^2x-r^2x-b^3+r^2b##

then using Factor theorem,

##f(b)= b^3-3b^3 +3b^3-r^2b-b^3+r^2b=0##

##f(b)=0##

therefore ##b## is a root of the cubic equation.

chwala said:
then we shall have ##(x-b)(x-b-r)9x-b+r)=(x-b)[(x-b)^2 -r^2]##
Look!

If you start out saying that ##b## is one of the roots of the equation, then of course you will find that ##b## is a root of the equation.

Likes Mark44 and chwala
WWGD said:
then we shall have ##(x-b)(x-b-r)9x-b+r)=(x-b)[(x-b)^2 -r^2]=(x-b)^3-r^2(x-b)=x^3-3x^2b +3b^2x-r^2x-b^3+r^2b##

Let ##f(x)= (x-b)^3-r^2(x-b)=x^3-3x^2b +3b^2x-r^2x-b^3+r^2b##

then,

##f(b)= b^3-3b^3 +3b^3-r^2b-b^3+r^2b=0##

##f(b)=0## using Factor theorem and therefore ##b## is a root of the cubic equation.
SammyS said:
Look!

If you start out saying that ##b## is one of the roots of the equation, then of course you will find that ##b## is a root of the equation.
Okay boss ... I'll replace (amend) the ##b## with another letter... will do this later. Cheers...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done some minor editing to the quoted parts:
chwala said:
Okay --- ... I'll replace (amend) the ##b## with another letter... will do this later. Cheers...

... using what you ( WWGD ) and @pasmith hinted,
then we shall have ##(x-b)(x-b-r)(x-b+r)=(x-b)[(x-b)^2 -r^2]=(x-b)^3-r^2(x-b)=x^3-3x^2b +3b^2x-r^2x-b^3+r^2b##

Let ##f(x)= (x-b)^3-r^2(x-b)##

##\quad\quad\quad\quad=x^3-3b\,x^2 +3b^2x-r^2x-b^3+r^2b##
You have done most of the necessary algebra. We might as well use the variable, ##p## rather than using ##b## in ensuring that we have an arithmetic progression. The variable, ##r##, is fine to use.

Then you have that ##(p-r),\, p## and ##(p+r)## are zeros of the following cubic polynomial.

##\displaystyle f(x)= (x-p)^3-r^2(x-p)##

##\displaystyle \quad\quad\quad=x^3-3p\,x^2 +3p^2x-r^2x-p^3+r^2p##

We need this polynomial to be identical to the given polynomial. Therefore, we must have that

##\displaystyle f(x)=x^3-3bx^2+cx-d ##

This implies that the corresponding coefficients must be equal respectively. In particular, the coefficient of ##x^2## in the first version of ##f(x)## must be equal to the coefficient of ##x^2## in the second version.

Edit: -to reword/replace the following sentence.
Does this show that ##b## is a root of the cubic equation in the given problem?

This does show that ##b## is a root of the given cubic equation, given that the roots are in arithmetic progression.

Last edited:
Likes chwala
SammyS said:
I've done some minor editing to the quoted parts:

You have done most of the necessary algebra. We might as well use the variable, ##p## rather than using ##b## in ensuring that we have an arithmetic progression. The variable, ##r##, is fine to use.

Then you have that ##(p-r),\, p## and ##(p+r)## are zeros of the following cubic polynomial.

##\displaystyle f(x)= (x-p)^3-r^2(x-p)##

##\displaystyle \quad\quad\quad=x^3-3p\,x^2 +3p^2x-r^2x-p^3+r^2p##

We need this polynomial to be identical to the given polynomial. Therefore, we must have that

##\displaystyle f(x)=x^3-3bx^2+cx-d ##

This implies that the corresponding coefficients must be equal respectively. In particular, the coefficient of ##x^2## in the first version of ##f(x)## must be equal to the coefficient of ##x^2## in the second version.

Does this show that ##b## is a root of the cubic equation in the given problem?
@SammyS thanks so much for your invaluable contribution... got busy with work...will check on thread later boss.