Register to reply

Watt per second?

by TSN79
Tags: watt
Share this thread:
TSN79
Jan31-06, 05:35 PM
P: 357
Just trying to interpret some units here. If J/s is Watt, what does J/(s^2) tell me?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
On-chip topological light: First measurements of transmission and delay
A two-stage trap for single protons leads to measurement of their magnetic properties
Unexpected phenomenon discovered at the surface of a transition metal oxide material
Claude Bile
Jan31-06, 05:41 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,474
W/s is the rate at which power increases. I can't think of an example of where this unit might be commonly used.

Claude.
Pengwuino
Jan31-06, 05:46 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Something's power is increasing by 1 J/s every second.

Cyrus
Jan31-06, 06:01 PM
P: 4,780
Watt per second?

It is the rate at which power is used, as other have said before me. A practical example, you have a power transmission shaft of a car with an applied torque T, with a constant rotational speed, n. You want to determine the power transmitted to the shaft. Then you will have
[tex] \dot{W_{sh}} = 2 \pi \dot{n} T [/tex]

Edit: Oh, I see you said watts/second. Forget what I said above. That would be the rate of the rate at which power is being used. Well, you could change my n dot to an n double dot, where the n double dot is the rotational acceleration I guess. But I cant see any purpose for doing so. I guess you could interpret it as the rate at which the power being transmitted through the shaft is changing with respect to time, if it has a nonuniform speed, n. If you know n double dot, you can integrate to find the power transmission from [tex] t_0 [/tex] to [tex] t_1 [/tex]

[tex] \dot{W_{sh}} = \int^{t_1}_{t_0} \ddot{W_{sh}} dt = \int^{t_1}_{t_0}2 \pi \ddot{n} T dt [/tex]

Register to reply