Basic arrow projectile motion problem

In summary: And you're welcome. I hope you understand what went wrong. It's always good to think before substituting!In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the speed of an arrow shot from a bow. The participants use equations from physics to determine the initial velocity and time it took for the arrow to hit the ground. They also consider the height from which the arrow was shot and the ratio of vertical and horizontal velocities at the time of impact. Ultimately, they use these equations to calculate the speed of the arrow, with some minor errors along the way.
pureouchies4717

You are watching an archery tournament when you start wondering how fast an arrow is shot from the bow. Remembering your physics, you ask one of the archers to shoot an arrow parallel to the ground. You find the arrow stuck in the ground 63.0 m away, making a 3.00 degree angle with the ground. how fast was the arrow shot?

look two posts down...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
using another equation...

d= vit +.5at^2
63= vi(.616)+.5(-187)(.616)^2
vi= 678.23m/s

which is also wrong...

in case a wasnt supposed to be negative:

63=vi(.616)+.5(187)(.616^2)
vi= -473.69 m/s

which is also wrong

I'm not sure exactly what you did but for one thing, there is no acceleration in the x direction, only downwards cause of energy.
So the Vox = Vix. Cause of that you know that the x component of the original speed times the time equals the distance (63).
Also, the y component of the original speed Viy goes with the equation:
H = Viy*t - 0.5g*t^2. The H you have (dy, but I got 3.3) so now you have two equations with two unknowns (t and Vi).

First, be absolutely clear on what are your principal unknowns here!

Those are
a) the initial velocity V in the x-direction
and
b) The height H from which the archer shot the arrow parallell to the ground (i.e, the initial vertical velocity is, indeed 0, as you thought).

c) The time t it took the arrow to hit the ground.
Let's set up a few equations relating V,t,H:

Horizontal distance traveled:
[tex]63=Vt[/tex]
Vertical distance traveled:
[tex]H=\frac{gt^{2}}{2}[/tex]
Ratio of velocities at time of impact:
[tex]\frac{V_{y}}{V_{x}}=-\tan(3), V_{y}=-gt, V_{x}=V[/tex]

The last equation expresses that the arrow at the time of impact follows is parallell to the tangent line of the parabolic arc at that point.

You only need the first and third equation to answer your question.

arildno said:
First, be absolutely clear on what are your principal unknowns here!
Those are
a) the initial velocity V in the x-direction
and
b) The height H from which the archer shot the arrow parallell to the ground (i.e, the initial vertical velocity is, indeed 0, as you thought).

c) The time t it took the arrow to hit the ground.
Let's set up a few equations relating V,t,H:

Horizontal distance traveled:
[tex]63=Vt[/tex]
Vertical distance traveled:
[tex]H=\frac{gt^{2}}{2}[/tex]
Ratio of velocities at time of impact:
[tex]\frac{V_{y}}{V_{x}}=-\tan(3), V_{y}=-gt, V_{x}=V[/tex]

The last equation expresses that the arrow at the time of impact follows is parallell to the tangent line of the parabolic arc at that point.

You only need the first and third equation to answer your question.

thanks for your help. so...
t=.8209s
Vy= -8.0444m/s

final result:

Vy/[-tan(3)]=Vx
Vx=[-gt]/[tan(3)]
vx=153.5 m/s

its still saying its wrong, but thanks a lot man

Eeh, not too sure what you've done here!

From the 3rd equation, we get:

[tex]t=V\frac{\tan(3)}{g}[/tex]
and hence, from the first:
[tex]V=\sqrt{\frac{63g}{\tan(3)}}\approx\sqrt{\frac{60*63*g}{\pi}}\approx{60}\sqrt{3}[/tex]

arildno said:
Eeh, not too sure what you've done here!

From the 3rd equation, we get:

[tex]t=V\frac{\tan(3)}{g}[/tex]
and hence, from the first:
[tex]V=\sqrt{\frac{63g}{\tan(3)}}\approx\sqrt{\frac{60*63*g}{\pi}}\approx{60}\sqrt{3}[/tex]

ooo i get it. you substituted vy=-gt into the third equation. thanks so much man: :!)

nick727kcin said:
:!)
Well, I'm not going after your home address, but I am flattered.

1. What are the basic equations for calculating arrow projectile motion?

The basic equations for calculating arrow projectile motion are:
- Vertical motion: h = h_0 + v_0t - 1/2gt^2
- Horizontal motion: x = x_0 + v_0xt
- Range: R = (v_0^2/g)sin(2θ)
Note: h is the height, h_0 is the initial height, v_0 is the initial velocity, t is time, g is the acceleration due to gravity, x is the horizontal distance, x_0 is the initial horizontal distance, and θ is the angle of launch.

2. How do I determine the initial velocity of an arrow for a given range?

To determine the initial velocity (v_0) of an arrow for a given range (R), you can use the following equation:
v_0 = √(Rg/sin(2θ))
Note: g is the acceleration due to gravity and θ is the angle of launch.

3. Can I use the same equations for calculating arrow projectile motion in different environments?

No, the equations for calculating arrow projectile motion are based on the assumption of a uniform gravitational field. If the environment has a different gravitational field or other factors that may affect the motion of the arrow, the equations may not be accurate.

4. How does air resistance affect arrow projectile motion?

Air resistance can greatly affect the motion of an arrow. It can cause the arrow to slow down and deviate from its expected trajectory. To account for air resistance, more complex equations and models are needed.

5. Is there a limit to the range an arrow can travel?

Yes, there is a limit to the range an arrow can travel. This is due to the fact that the arrow is affected by air resistance and gravity, which act to slow it down and pull it towards the ground, respectively. Additionally, the initial velocity and angle of launch also play a role in determining the maximum range. In ideal conditions, the maximum range is achieved when the angle of launch is 45 degrees.