Register to reply

What is the most difficult mathematics?

by silverdiesel
Tags: difficult, mathematics
Share this thread:
silverdiesel
Feb25-06, 09:46 PM
P: 65
I am about a year into an undergraduate degree in Physics and I am wondering what might lay ahead. What do the more experienced mathematicians think is the most difficult subject?

a couple things happended recently that made me ponder the subject.

- My calc2 professor was lecturing on applicaitons of the deginate integral, specifically in regard to the work function. In doing so, he admitted to the class that this was his least favorite lecture becuase he was not as comfortable with the Physics. I thought it was an odd coment becuase he seems like the most intelligent professor I have ever had. W=Fd is so simple, how could that seem difficult to a guy that knows all the ins and out of calculus?

- I was reading an interview of a Mathematic PHD. He was asked what he thought was the most difficult mathematics. "Definetly Advanced Calculus" was his reply. I had always just assumed the math gets more and more difficult as you progress. I may be showing how green I am, but what is 'Advanced Calculus'? Is that Calc 3? Or, are there more higher level calculus classes? If calc3 is as hard as it gets, that does not seem too difficult.

Honestly, I really enjoy calculus -when you really get to apply it, as in optimization and applications of the definate integral. They just make a lot of sence. I enjoy them because it is like writing an essay, except in the most efficiant of language. I like applying the concepts of calculus, rate of change and the limit of summations. You can spend all this time in math playing logic games, but what is the point unless you can use it to tell you something about the world. I'll work all day trying to figure out a problem if the answer will actually tell me something interesting like how much work is required to move an object.

It is the nitty gritty algebra at the end that always causes me trouble. Algebra is what I would consider the most difficult. My physics professor is always setting up problems for us, and then saying "the rest is just algebra, and if you cant do that, you should not be in this class" Which is true, no doubt, but I dont like the implication that it is "just algebra". Algebra can be a major in pain in the arse.

Anyway, just curious, what someone with more experience might think.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
Hurkyl
Feb25-06, 10:00 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,092
The most difficult mathematics is that which you do not know.

A surprising amount of mathematics is actually easy once you've learned it. Of course, once you learn the easy stuff, then you have to start tacking the deep stuff, and that gets harder.

One teacher I had was introducing a new concept, and we did an example in class. (and this was a class for good mathematicians -- not your average students) There was a lot of blank stares, and not everybody seemed to follow all the way through.

The very next thing he asked was for us to differentiate the function x with respect to x. Of course, everybody could do that very easily.

His response? "The reason you can do differentiation, but not the other thing, is that you've differentiated things hundreds of times, but you haven't done this other thing very much yet."
matt grime
Feb26-06, 04:01 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,396
Quote Quote by silverdiesel
My physics professor is always setting up problems for us, and then saying "the rest is just algebra, and if you cant do that, you should not be in this class" Which is true, no doubt, but I dont like the implication that it is "just algebra". Algebra can be a major in pain in the arse.
Which is exactly why he doesn't want to do it. I would like to clarify that when you say algebra, you are not for instance denigrating group theory etc, but you are referring to the mindless manipulation of symbols such as as simplifying an equation. Now, for my money, a better name for it is 'bookkeeping'. It requires no intellect just the ability to follow a simple set of rules (which actually, is like a lot of maths apart from the simple part).

If for instance I were to take such a class and write on the board ...=42/64, I would leave it as that and would be mightily annoyed if any student pointed out that that is the same as 21/32 since that shows that they're focusing on the wrong thing.

Mathematics is such a huge subject with so many opinions you're not going to get a simple answer. Perhaps a more reasonable question would be: what is the hardest part of mathematics that I'm likely to need to master?

fourier jr
Feb26-06, 08:01 AM
P: 948
What is the most difficult mathematics?

Quote Quote by Hurkyl
The most difficult mathematics is that which you do not know.

A surprising amount of mathematics is actually easy once you've learned it. Of course, once you learn the easy stuff, then you have to start tacking the deep stuff, and that gets harder.
yeah that sounds right. it doesn't matter what part of math you study, there will always be pages in a textbook that take a solid day or two to really understand. i guess it could be slightly easier for someone to study a subject & then study a subject that is relatively close to it. like some sort of algebraist might not have as much trouble working on some other kind of algebra because of their background. it would probably be harder for an analyst to start working on graph theory because they don't have a lot to do with each other.
AlphaNumeric
Feb26-06, 08:37 AM
P: 290
Quote Quote by matt grime
and would be mightily annoyed if any student pointed out that that is the same as 21/32 since that shows that they're focusing on the wrong thing.
Yet there always seems to be such a person in the lecture theatre...
Quote Quote by fourier jr
it would probably be harder for an analyst to start working on graph theory because they don't have a lot to do with each other.
Also bear in mind that some different areas of maths require different ways of thinking, so to someone whose good at one area, it might take an inordinately long time to get as good in another area, if even possible at all (though that depends on what you might consider 'good').
arildno
Feb26-06, 10:28 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
It also depends on your "personality". Some analysts loathe discrete mathematics and would gladly not learn anything about it, and vice versa.
0rthodontist
Feb27-06, 08:06 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,253
Here's a related question: what is the mathematics that depends on the most other mathematics?
Treadstone 71
Feb27-06, 08:27 PM
P: 304
I've had a batch of math classes, and so far, the most difficult IMO is differential equations. Lots of plug-and-chunk, and that's the problem for me: most of the time I don't know where to plug things.
JasonRox
Feb27-06, 10:15 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,327
Quote Quote by arildno
It also depends on your "personality". Some analysts loathe discrete mathematics and would gladly not learn anything about it, and vice versa.
Exactly.

It all depends on what you like.

If you truly hate it, well certainly it's going to become difficult after awhile. You'll never give it some thought because you hate it.
mathwonk
Feb27-06, 10:34 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,453
difficulty is relative to the individual. for me analysis is the most difficult and the easiest is geometry topology, and in between is algebra.

but complex analysis is to me easier than real analysis. and so on...
JasonRox
Feb27-06, 11:05 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by mathwonk
difficulty is relative to the individual. for me analysis is the most difficult and the easiest is geometry topology, and in between is algebra.

I can't get anywhere with Complex Analysis right now. Maybe it's too early to tell.

I've been asking for a good book for awhile now. Something that is not too rigorous though.

Sure, I might do well in the course, but that means nothing to me if I don't know what's going on.

We don't have a textbook in our class, and we seem to be jumping all over the place. A nice thorough textbook would be what I'm looking for. I want a good one. I've seen free ones and cheap ones, but there are reasons for them being free and cheap. They aren't very good.
d_leet
Feb28-06, 12:28 AM
P: 1,076
Quote Quote by mathwonk
I'll agree with you on that count because I'm taking a complex analysis course right now and I'm really starting to enjoy it, and I've also tried to teach myself bits of real analysis but have been having some problems but in complex analysis I'm starting to make connections with other branches of mathematics and everything seems to be coming together for me.
quasar987
Feb28-06, 01:33 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,771
Quote Quote by JasonRox
A nice thorough textbook would be what I'm looking for. I want a good one. I've seen free ones and cheap ones, but there are reasons for them being free and cheap. They aren't very good.
I take it you didn't like the one in french I refered to you. I agree, it stinks. The proofs are not easy to follow and his definitions are scatered randomly throughout the text. But what do you mean by
we seem to be jumping all over the place
? Give an exemple.
JasonRox
Feb28-06, 07:00 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by quasar987
I take it you didn't like the one in french I refered to you. I agree, it stinks. The proofs are not easy to follow and his definitions are scatered randomly throughout the text. But what do you mean by
? Give an exemple.
Yeah, even though I understand French, it still becomes hard to follow. I'm not the best in French, but I do know lots.

We jump around in the sense that we don't know where we are going or heading.

We didn't have a course outline either, so that doesn't help either.
gravenewworld
Feb28-06, 07:31 PM
P: 1,405
Math/formal logic=by the far hardest math course I have ever taken. You really have to think way far outside of the box to follow what is going on in math logic. Proving godel's theorems and learning recursion theory was the most challenging thing I have ever learned in my entire life. Next to logic, learning about Hilbert Spaces was also very hard, but not as bad as logic.

Honestly, I really enjoy calculus
we'll see if you say this after you suffer through advanced calc.
Plastic Photon
Feb28-06, 10:37 PM
P: 166
Speaking from what little I have done, I found algebra hard, specifically just logrithms. Took me weeks to realize how change of base worked....well not really but you get the idea. I just finished roots of complex numbers using DeMoivre's Theorem (begining trig).

Speaking from what I have heard, everyone says Cal II is a (certain inappropriate word that starts with a capital "B"). All I hear is 'Cal III is some much easier than Cal II, what a "B" it was'.
Treadstone 71
Mar1-06, 09:50 AM
P: 304
Cal III is easier mainly because by the time you get there, you are used to integration and differentiation. Cal III doesn't teach anything conceptually new, unlike cal 1 and 2.
Mafer
Mar1-06, 10:11 AM
P: 15
The most difficult maths is the one you haven't learn and you are not going to learn...so, learn more practise more, and all will be clear...

Register to reply