Why is mathematics limited/incomplete?

• Thread starter Estanho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, limitations exist in both physics and mathematics due to the constraints of describing and modeling nature. Even if we were to start with a completely new system for abstract models and computation, the same limitations would likely still apply. These limitations are not of physical nature, but rather logical nature, as shown by Goedel's Incompleteness Theorems. These limitations define the system and without them, there would be no system at all.
Estanho
I can understand that we can have limitations on physics, as we are trying to describe nature and so constraints can naturally occur - even meta-constraints that limit our ability to model nature to an arbitrary degree.

However, why does that applies to a synthetic system such as mathematics as well? From my understandings of computability, there are several things that we cannot do with mathematics - and that's completely proven. But that seems to be generic enough that any system that we could come up with will always have those limitations.

So I guess my question is twofold:
  • If we scraped our mathematics development completely and started from scratch completely out of the box, coming up with a totally different system for building abstract models and computation, would we still probably hit equivalent milestones and in the end have the same limitations (e.g. would there be calculus, or something equivalent but totally different?)
  • What is the reason why such limitations exist? Is it some sort of physical constraint that our universe impose? For example, the fact that we can use mathematics to model nature, maybe some natural limitations are transferred to it. It's kind of clear that there are some limitations in information theory maybe due to its more applied nature that are due to physical constraints, such as uncertainty or relativity.

Likes Jarvis323
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Check out Goedel's Incompleteness Theorems.

It's nothing to do with relativity, physics or the universe.

Likes Jarvis323 and FactChecker
Estanho said:
I can understand that we can have limitations on physics, as we are trying to describe nature and so constraints can naturally occur - even meta-constraints that limit our ability to model nature to an arbitrary degree.

However, why does that applies to a synthetic system such as mathematics as well? From my understandings of computability, there are several things that we cannot do with mathematics - and that's completely proven. But that seems to be generic enough that any system that we could come up with will always have those limitations.

• If we scraped our mathematics development completely and started from scratch completely out of the box, coming up with a totally different system for building abstract models and computation, would we still probably hit equivalent milestones and in the end have the same limitations (e.g. would there be calculus, or something equivalent but totally different?)

This cannot be answered. How can we make any statements about a subject that does not only not exists, but isn't described at all? All we can say is, that there will be the same limitations, i.e. unprovable truths and undecidable theorems. Goedel's proofs will almost certainly apply in such a system, too.

Estanho said:
  • What is the reason why such limitations exist? Is it some sort of physical constraint that our universe impose? For example, the fact that we can use mathematics to model nature, maybe some natural limitations are transferred to it. It's kind of clear that there are some limitations in information theory maybe due to its more applied nature that are due to physical constraints, such as uncertainty or relativity.

The nature of mathematical limitations is not of physical nature. The limitations are of logical nature. There is no such thing as the set of all sets. It cannot be proven that arithmetic is free of contradictions by merely arithmetic methods.

Such restrictions will remain. You need a meta-level to discuss a subject. And to discuss the meta-level on a subject, you will need a meta-meta-level. And so on. There is a system imminent distinction between an argument and the question of whether it can be applied or not.

Hmm I am aware of Gödel's theorems and I should probably have mentioned it on the post, although I don't possesses the technical knowledge to follow the proofs on a fundamental level.

What I'm looking for is more on the level as to why such limitations exist. Sorry for repeating this example again but physical limitations make sense due to the external factor that nature imposes constraints into any models we might come up with, and that's outside of our control. But why then should there be limitations in any logic system we come up with, on a fundamental level?

Estanho said:
Hmm I am aware of Gödel's theorems ...

What I'm looking for is more on the level as to why such limitations exist.
Goedel's theorems are the reason.

Estanho said:
What I'm looking for is more on the level as to why such limitations exist. Sorry for repeating this example again but physical limitations make sense due to the external factor that nature imposes constraints into any models we might come up with, and that's outside of our control. But why then should there be limitations in any logic system we come up with, on a fundamental level?

We have logical limitations in mathematics: meta-levels, independent, possibly undecidable statements like AC. Those are constraints due to the facts, that it makes a difference to reason within a system or about a system, and that proof of existence is a purely logical construction, none that necessarily can be worked out in an algorithm.

We have also created nonbinary logics, but that didn't really solve the problems.

Likes Jarvis323
I think what Goedel's theorems show is that any system where you start with a set of axioms and apply a consistent set of algorithmic procedures has limitations. Because of the rigidity of algorithmic procedures, to me it does seem too surprising that there is more to logic than algorithmic procedures. For example, neural networks like our brains are not algorithmic in nature, and can potentially "see" solutions to problems that are not accessible with algorithmic procedures. Penrose makes the point (perhaps in "The Emperor's New Mind", I've forgotten the reference) That we should view Goedel's theorems positively, not negatively. It means we have the ability to deduce things beyond what rigid algorithms can tell us.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Estanho said:
But why then should there be limitations in any logic system we come up with, on a fundamental level?
The limitations are what define the system. No limitations, no system.

Here's an example with a classic connect-the-dots game. To win, you have to connect all nine dots using only four straight lines without lifting your pencil off the paper:

5a667c265b33e372fc8a9fa8cc89e8df.jpg

Where the answer is:

Nine-dots-four-lines.jpg

The constraints are:
  1. connect all nine dots;
  2. using only four straight lines;
  3. without lifting your pencil off the paper.
The point of the game is to notice that you DO NOT have a constraint that restricts you to change direction only on a dot.

But if you remove all constraints, then there is no game. All you are left with is: To win, you have to do something ... or nothing.

If you keep only the first constraint, it is still a valid game. It is just a much much easier problem to solve because there is an infinite amount of solutions.

Likes Jarvis323
Estanho said:
What I'm looking for is more on the level as to why such limitations exist.
At a hand wavy level, the limitations exist because of self reference. If you design a system capable of "understanding" or "encompassing" everything then you can ask it questions about itself.

The self-reference is not always obvious. Mathematicians are clever folks who know better than to use a language that allows direct paradoxes like "this sentence is a lie". But they do use formal systems that can contemplate things like "all strings of any finite length". With a little bit of cleverness, mathematicians can embed a functional copy of a formal system within itself so that the theorems of the system can be expressed as strings of finite length within the system.

Then you can have a theorem whose truth or provability correlates problematically with the "truth" or "provability" of a string corresponding to itself.

Likes phyzguy, PeroK, TeethWhitener and 1 other person
Estanho said:

It's pretty much the same as why you can't have a set of all sets. It couldn't contain itself. In my opinion it isn't all that profound.

Likes jack action
jbriggs444 said:
At a hand wavy level, the limitations exist because of self reference. If you design a system capable of "understanding" or "encompassing" everything then you can ask it questions about itself.

The self-reference is not always obvious. Mathematicians are clever folks who know better than to use a language that allows direct paradoxes like "this sentence is a lie". But they do use formal systems that can contemplate things like "all strings of any finite length". With a little bit of cleverness, mathematicians can embed a functional copy of a formal system within itself so that the theorems of the system can be expressed as strings of finite length within the system.

Then you can have a theorem whose truth or provability correlates problematically with the "truth" or "provability" of a string corresponding to itself.
This is one of the most illuminating post I have read in a while on this website. Not to mention I always learn something new here.

Hornbein said:
It's pretty much the same as why you can't have a set of all sets. It couldn't contain itself. In my opinion it isn't all that profound.
I guess you wouldn't have been fooled like Hilbert and all the rest of them before Goedel surprised the mathematical world.

Hornbein said:
In mathematics, we try to reason formally. Intuition is nice, but it is not infallible.

We have this collection of objects called "sets". And we have this relation "is a member of". There is nothing immediate that precludes a "set" from having this relationship with itself.

It takes more than just self-membership in order to instantiate Russell's paradox. Some form of the axiom of comprehension is also required (e.g. "for any predicate and any set there is a subset which contains exactly those elements that satisfy the predicate"). With that form of the axiom, I believe that you still need a "set of all sets" to get a paradox. A mere set containing itself won't do.

Last edited:

1. Why is mathematics limited/incomplete?

Mathematics is limited and incomplete because it is a human-created system that is constantly evolving and expanding. As our understanding of the world and its complexities grows, so does the need for new mathematical concepts and theories. Additionally, mathematics is based on axioms and assumptions that cannot be proven, leading to limitations in its ability to fully describe and explain certain phenomena.

2. How does Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem relate to the limitations of mathematics?

Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem states that in any formal mathematical system, there will always be true statements that cannot be proven within that system. This shows that mathematics is inherently limited and incomplete, as there will always be questions and concepts that cannot be fully explained or proven using mathematical principles.

3. Can new discoveries and advancements in mathematics overcome its limitations?

While new discoveries and advancements in mathematics can certainly expand our understanding and application of the subject, they cannot completely overcome its limitations. As mentioned earlier, mathematics is based on axioms and assumptions that cannot be proven, and there will always be phenomena that cannot be fully described or explained using mathematical principles.

4. How do the limitations of mathematics affect other fields of science?

The limitations of mathematics can have a significant impact on other fields of science, particularly in areas where precise and accurate calculations are necessary. For example, in physics, the limitations of mathematics can hinder our ability to fully understand and predict complex systems, such as quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any potential solutions to the limitations of mathematics?

Some mathematicians and philosophers have proposed solutions to the limitations of mathematics, such as developing new axioms and theories to expand the scope of mathematical principles. However, it is unlikely that these solutions will completely eliminate the limitations of mathematics, as it is a fundamental aspect of the subject.