Understanding the Function of a Narrow Band-Pass Filter and its Transitions

• Thread starter electronic engineer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Filter
In summary, the conversation is about studying and drawing the transitions of a narrow band-pass filter function using its Laplace transform. The formula for the filter function is given as Av(s)=Ao (s*Wo/Q)*(1/(s^2+s*Wo/Q+Wo^2)) and the parameters Wo, Q, WH, and WL are defined. The speaker offers advice on how to determine the center, upper, and lower cut off frequencies and suggests using Excel to plot the function. They also recommend using online resources and tutorials to learn more about the filter function and its design. The conversation ends with a discussion about using advanced features on Google to find relevant information.
electronic engineer
I was aksed to study and draw the transitions of narrow band-pass filter function gives as :

Av(s)=Ao (s*Wo/Q)*(1/(s^2+s*Wo/Q+Wo^2) ; S Laplace transform

where: Wo is central frequency

Q quality factor Q=Wo/WH-WL=Wo/BW

WH &WL are high cut-off and low cut-off frequency respectively

just need some hits !

thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Whats your problem? Determine the center, upper, and lower cut off frequencies?

You can use Excel to plot it to get a feel for what it looks like, although it will plot best in log-log (log frequency on horizontal axis). Start with a Q=1 plot, then overlay Q=10 and Q=0.1 plots. Pick some generic Wo frequency for starters, like 100kHz or something.

What textbook are you using? Most texts should have a good discussion of the BPF transfer function and the effect of the Q factor. If your text is lacking, there are lots of resources on the web. I googled bandpass analog filter transfer function tutorial, and got lots of good hits. Here's one -- scroll down to some of the Filter Design articles:

http://www.circuitsage.com/filter.html

Last edited by a moderator:
oh ,berkeman thanks you for your googling , sometimes i google for various things but I find out that you have good experience in selecting keywords, is there any generic rule to precisely find what you need through google or that just depends on repitation?!

thanks a lot!

Mostly getting better at google involves trying out stuff, and learning some of the advanced features. Check out the advanced feature list sometime -- I forget if google supports the "near" keyword, for example. Only some search engines do. Using quotes around multiple word phrases helps a lot in cutting down on the extra search hits that are displayed. And using the + sign before required terms in the search also helps a lot sometimes.

Also, I've lately found the keywork "tutorial" to be real helpful in finding info in the form that helps folks here on PF.

berkeman said:
Check out the advanced feature list sometime -- I forget if google supports the "near" keyword, for example.

I didnn't find that feature but there's another feature for finding pages similar to a webpage we detect , and find pages that link to the page!

Page-Specific Search:
Similar Find pages similar to the page
Links Find pages that link to the page

What is a narrow band-pass filter?

A narrow band-pass filter is an electronic device that allows only a specific range of frequencies to pass through while blocking all others. It is commonly used in signal processing and telecommunications to isolate desired signals and remove unwanted noise.

How does a narrow band-pass filter work?

A narrow band-pass filter works by using a combination of capacitors, resistors, and inductors to create a circuit that only allows a narrow range of frequencies to pass through. The components are carefully selected and arranged to create a sharp cutoff point, allowing only the desired frequencies to be transmitted.

What are the applications of a narrow band-pass filter?

Narrow band-pass filters have a wide range of applications, including in audio equipment, radio and television broadcasting, medical devices, and telecommunications. They are also commonly used in scientific research, such as in spectroscopy and signal analysis.

What is the difference between a narrow band-pass filter and a wide band-pass filter?

The main difference between a narrow band-pass filter and a wide band-pass filter is the range of frequencies they allow to pass through. A narrow band-pass filter only allows a small range of frequencies to pass through, while a wide band-pass filter allows a wider range. This means that a narrow band-pass filter provides more precise filtering, while a wide band-pass filter is better for capturing a broader range of signals.

How do I choose the right narrow band-pass filter for my application?

Choosing the right narrow band-pass filter for your application involves considering the frequency range you need to pass through, the desired bandwidth, and the attenuation rate. You should also consider the quality factor, insertion loss, and power handling capabilities of the filter. It is best to consult with a technical expert or refer to the manufacturer's specifications to ensure you choose the most suitable filter for your specific needs.