Calculating Power Delivery of a DC Generator with Varying Load and Speed

In summary, at 2400 rpm, a d.c. generator driven at 1800rpm with a rated field current of 85 volts will deliver 217.81 watts to a 50 ohm resistive load.
cabellos
DC generator question please help...

Please could I get some help with the following question:

An open circuit voltage of a d.c. generator driven at 1800rpm with rated field current is 85Volts. The resistance of the armature is 4.3 ohms. If a resistive load of 50 ohms is connected to the armature terminals, what will be the power delivered to this load when the machine is driven at 2400rpm?

Physics news on Phys.org
This question requires some assumptions. Does the open-circuit DC voltage of the generator vary linearly with its speed?

If so, you just need to solve for the voltage of the generator at 2400 rpm, then find the current through the loop (50 ohms + 4.3 ohms = 54.3 ohms), then find the power dissipated in the load resistor (P = I2R).

- Warren

Thanks but I am a bit lost with your explanation. The first step i thought i had to take was to find the armature current. simply using V=IR? is this correct? so it would be 85/4.3 = 19.77A ... but i really am lost as to the next step...

If the armature is not connected to anything (it's "open circuit"), then the current through it is zero, not 19.77 A.

What you want to do first is find the open circuit voltage of the generator at speed.

Next, find out how much current would flow when the load resistor is connected. The completed circuit has two resistors in it -- one's 50 ohms and the other is 4.3 ohms.

Next, find out how much power is dissipated by the load resistor alone. The power dissipated by a resistor is given by P = I2R.

Follow these steps exactly. I can't really give you any more hints; I'd just be doing the problem for you.

- Warren

thanks but i have one final question and need another push in the right direction if possible. Iv just been looking through some similar examples and to me it seems you are required to know the field current to find the open circuit voltage of the generator at the new speed. In my question no field current value is given?

All you need to analyze a DC loop composed of resistors is the voltage and the resistances.

I honestly do not know how you're supposed to find the voltage at the new speed -- as I said in my first post, there problem has some assumptions. I assume that your textbook (or teacher) can help you further.

- Warren

I think iv cracked it...does this sound right...
Voltage = 85 x (2400/1800) = 113.33 Volts
Now V=IR 113.33/54.3 = 2.09 Amps
And finally P = (2.09^2)50
= 217.81 Watts

Looks right, cabellos!

- Warren

1. What is a DC generator?

A DC generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It uses the principle of electromagnetic induction to produce a direct current (DC) output.

2. How does a DC generator work?

A DC generator works by using a rotating armature and a stationary set of magnets to create a magnetic field. As the armature rotates, it cuts through the magnetic field, producing a current. This current is then collected by brushes and transferred to an external circuit.

3. What are the main components of a DC generator?

The main components of a DC generator include the armature, field magnets, commutator, brushes, and external circuit. The armature is the rotating part that produces the current, while the field magnets create the magnetic field. The commutator and brushes are responsible for collecting the current and transferring it to the external circuit.

4. What is the difference between a DC generator and an AC generator?

The main difference between a DC generator and an AC generator is the type of output they produce. A DC generator produces a direct current, which flows in one direction, while an AC generator produces an alternating current, which periodically reverses direction. Additionally, the construction and working principles of the two types of generators differ.

5. What are the applications of a DC generator?

A DC generator has various applications, including providing power in small electrical systems, such as flashlights and portable electronic devices. It is also used in larger systems, such as power plants, to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. Moreover, DC generators are used in cars as part of the charging system to keep the battery charged.