Thermodynamics - efficiency question

In summary, the efficiency of the engine in the given conditions is approximately 23.46%. This is calculated by dividing the power output of the engine (25 horsepower) by the heat input (2.195 gallons per hour). Due to the lack of temperature data, the formula used is simplified to W/Qh = 1 - (Ql/Qh). However, it is important to note that rounding too early in calculations can lead to significant errors.
N_L_
The burning of gasoline in a car releases about 3.0 x 10^4 kcal/gal. If a car averages 41 km/gal when driving 90 km/h, which requires 25 hp, what is the efficiency of the engine under those conditions?

I think I have an answer, but I'm not sure if it's correct.

1 horsepower = 746 watts

25 hp = 18650 watts

1 kcal = 4186 joules (watts / sec)

e = W / Qh = 1 - (Ql / Qh)

1 gal / 41 km at 91 km / h means that that 2.26 gallons will be used in one hour.

Since no temperatues are given I don't think that the 1 - Ql / Qh is needed...

Converting 30000 kcal / gal to watts I get 34883 joules/sec. Since 2.26 gal are used, I multiplied the above by 2.26 to get 78836.

Dividing 18650 watts (from hp) by 78836 I got an efficiency of 23.46%.

Physics news on Phys.org
N_L_ said:
The burning of gasoline in a car releases about 3.0 x 10^4 kcal/gal. If a car averages 41 km/gal when driving 90 km/h, which requires 25 hp, what is the efficiency of the engine under those conditions?

I think I have an answer, but I'm not sure if it's correct.

1 horsepower = 746 watts

25 hp = 18650 watts

e = W / Qh = 1 - (Ql / Qh)

1 gal / 41 km at 91 km / h means that that 2.26 gallons will be used in one hour.

Since no temperatues are given I don't think that the 1 - Ql / Qh is needed...

Converting 30000 kcal / gal to watts I get 34883 joules/sec. Since 2.26 gal are used, I multiplied the above by 2.26 to get 78836.

Dividing 18650 watts (from hp) by 78836 I got an efficiency of 23.46%.
You don't need to find Qc but it is just:[tex]Qc = Qh - W[/tex]. You don't need temperatures to find this.

You should state your answer algebraically so you and others can follow the physical reasoning. ie:

[tex]\eta = W/Q_h = (dW/dt)/(dQ_h/dt)[/tex]

Your answer is almost right. I get 2.195 gal/hr (90/41) not 2.26.

[tex]dQ_h/dt = 2.195 * gal/hr = 3 x 10^4 * 2.195 * 4.186 KJ/hr = 2.76 x 10^8 J/hr = 7.66 x 10^4 J/sec[/tex]

[tex]dW/dt = Power = 25 * 746 J/sec = 1.87 x 10^4 J/sec[/tex]

So:

[itex]\eta[/itex] = 1.87/7.66 = 24.4%

AM

Last edited:
I have not rigorously checked your answer, however the efficency appears reasonable for a car, just beware of rounding too early in your calculations, this could induce significant errors. For example you obtained 78836 watts for the input power of the engine, however I obtained [itex]78798\frac{2}{3}[/itex].

Just a small point that I sould point out is that here you said;
N_L_ said:
I'm sure this is just a typo, but this should be joules = watts * sec. Power is work done (energy) divided by time, therefore it follows that energy is the product of power and time.

~H

Sorry AM, didn't see your post. I sould learn to type faster :wink:

Thank you.

What is the definition of efficiency in thermodynamics?

Efficiency in thermodynamics is a measure of how much useful work or energy is produced by a system compared to the amount of energy that is put into the system. It is usually expressed as a percentage and can range from 0% (no useful energy produced) to 100% (all energy input is converted to useful work).

How is efficiency calculated in thermodynamics?

The efficiency of a thermodynamic system is calculated by dividing the useful work or energy output by the total energy input. This can be represented by the equation: efficiency = (useful output / total input) x 100%. For example, if a system produces 80 joules of useful work with an input of 100 joules, the efficiency would be 80%.

What factors affect the efficiency of a thermodynamic system?

The efficiency of a thermodynamic system can be affected by various factors such as the type of system, the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, and the design and materials used in the system. Other factors such as friction, heat loss, and energy losses due to chemical reactions or phase changes can also impact the efficiency of a system.

What is the Carnot efficiency and why is it important?

The Carnot efficiency is the maximum possible efficiency of a thermodynamic system operating between two temperatures. It is important because it provides a theoretical upper limit for the efficiency of heat engines, and it can be used to compare the efficiency of real systems. The Carnot efficiency is only attainable in idealized systems and serves as a benchmark for the efficiency of real-world systems.

Can a system have an efficiency greater than 100%?

No, a system cannot have an efficiency greater than 100%. This would violate the first and second laws of thermodynamics, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, and that the total energy in a closed system must remain constant or decrease. Therefore, the maximum efficiency of a system is 100%, which would mean that all energy input is converted into useful work.