Next major disaster in the US: Predict

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the conversation revolves around people finding it annoying when a disaster happens and everyone claims it was obvious and could have been prevented. The topic then shifts to predicting the next disaster and preparing for it. Some specific disasters are mentioned, and there is a debate about the effectiveness of the Kyoto protocol in minimizing damage from disasters. The conversation ends with some jokes and references to partisan arguments.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ok what i always find annoying is when a disaster happens somewhere and everyone goes "It was so obvious! Anyone could see it coming! The whole government/military/rescue organizations/whoever was involved was incompetant!" and then comes the slew of random articles from here and there making it seem so obvious.

Soooooooooo, what's the next disaster that's going to hit the US? I'm sure its so obvious, so out with it and exactly how should we prepare for such a disaster to minimize the damage. Go for it!

*waits for the 40 partisan jokes that contribute nothing*

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you name some specific disasters besides Katrina where people say it was so obvious?

You have to admit when a hurricane is forcasted to possibly make landfall within a few days everybody could see it coming.

The next disaster will be another hurricane.

The next major disaster?

Your pointless threads dumbing down PF and America.

dav2008 said:
Can you name some specific disasters besides Katrina where people say it was so obvious?

You have to admit when a hurricane is forcasted to possibly make landfall within a few days everybody could see it coming.

The next disaster will be another hurricane.

9/11 for one. Enron. The problem with Katrina's little "it was so obvious" people were people making references to random articles 1 or 2 years earlier

What about the effects of global warming? I think the US ratifying the Kyoto protocol to cut emissions would minimize the damage.

The Kyoto treaty is a disaster itself :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Pengwuino said:
The Kyoto treaty is a disaster itself :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's a matter of opinion.

Pengwuinos threads are a major disaster.

I have a joke.

Knock knock.

dav2008 said:
I have a joke.

Knock knock.
who's there?

Pengwuino.

Pengwuino who?

Pengwuino this joke sucks as much as Pengwuino's threads.

:uhh:

It's late. I'm tired enough to laugh at that.:rofl:

Pengwuino said:
*waits for the 40 partisan jokes that contribute nothing*

Blah blah blah blah republicans!

Blah blah blah blah liberals!

Blah blah blah blah CEOs!

Blah blah blah blah enviromentalists!

x10

There, it's done with.

When's this year's hurricane season start?

Chi Meson said:
Blah blah blah blah republicans!

Blah blah blah blah liberals!

Blah blah blah blah CEOs!

Blah blah blah blah enviromentalists!

x10

There, it's done with.
p.s. Yadda yadda yadda . . . .

or as the French would say

le blah et le yadda. :biggrin:

I learned French from Cyrus. :biggrin:

1. What are the most common types of disasters that occur in the US?

The most common types of disasters in the US include natural disasters such as hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, and wildfires, as well as man-made disasters like terrorist attacks, mass shootings, and industrial accidents.

2. How are scientists able to predict the next major disaster in the US?

Scientists use various methods and tools to predict potential disasters, including historical data analysis, computer modeling, and monitoring of environmental conditions. They also rely on early warning systems and emergency response plans to prepare for potential disasters.

3. Is it possible to accurately predict the exact location and time of the next major disaster in the US?

While scientists can make predictions about the likelihood and severity of a potential disaster, it is not possible to accurately predict the exact location and time of the event. Factors such as shifting weather patterns and human behavior can impact the course of a disaster.

4. How can individuals and communities prepare for a potential disaster?

Individuals and communities can prepare for a potential disaster by creating emergency plans, stocking up on supplies, and staying informed about potential risks. It is also important to have evacuation routes and designated meeting places in case of an emergency.

5. What role does the government play in predicting and preparing for disasters?

The government plays a crucial role in predicting and preparing for disasters. They allocate resources for research and monitoring, develop emergency response plans, and coordinate with local authorities and organizations to ensure a timely and effective response to disasters.