Working Out Star Radius from Bolometric Flux, Wavelength & Parallax

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the radius of a star using the bolometric flux, the wavelength of the peak flux, and its parallax. It also mentions the temperature of the star's photosphere and how it relates to its area and luminosity. The conversation also touches on the distance to the star and how it can be used to calculate its luminosity and ultimately its radius.
Brewer
How do I go about working out the radius of a star when I have the bolometric flux, the wavelength of the peak flux of its spectrum, and its parallax?

I've also calculated the temperature of its photosphere (Wein's law right?).

Or is it more to do with the parallax?

Physics news on Phys.org
Brewer said:
I've also calculated the temperature of its photosphere (Wein's law right?).

How does a blackbody's temperature relate to its area and luminosity?

Or is it more to do with the parallax?

What quantity does a parallax give you? How might you use this to derive a luminosity from a flux?

I haven't touched on luminosity for this question, as it asks for that in the next part (and I know how to get that).

As I understand it, radius of the star is d*tanP where d is the distance to the star, and P is the parallax. Is [tex]10^11[/tex] the correct order of magnitude for a star do you think? Its bigger than the sun, but its not overly huge for a star is it?

you have its parallax? so it must be fairly close ... right?
that means it should appear fairly bright ... right?
Temperature determines how much light is emitted by each sq. meter of surface - not how much light comes off the entire surface.

Do you know how these are related?

Please don't double-post, it's very annoying to those trying to help you.

Brewer said:
I haven't touched on luminosity for this question, as it asks for that in the next part (and I know how to get that).

You'll need it for this part.

As I understand it, radius of the star is d*tanP where d is the distance to the star, and P is the parallax. Is [tex]10^11[/tex] the correct order of magnitude for a star do you think? Its bigger than the sun, but its not overly huge for a star is it?

1011 what? Meters?

SpaceTiger said:
Please don't double-post, it's very annoying to those trying to help you.

You'll need it for this part.

1011 what? Meters?

Yes [tex]10^1^1m[/tex]. Sorry about the double post

Brewer said:
Yes [tex]10^1^1m[/tex].

That's about the distance from the Earth to the sun, so it's a bit too close for a star. I just noticed that you were associating the parallax with the radius -- actually, it gives you a distance. The distance, in parsecs, is given by:

[tex]d=\frac{1}{\theta}[/tex]

where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the parallax angle in arcseconds.

Is it in metres if you use radians and parsecs if you use it in degress, arcmin and arcsec then?

I've just realized how its done though - distance can be used with the bolometric flux to find the bolometric luminosity. This is turn can be used with [tex] P = \sigma AeT^4[/tex] to find the raduis of the star right?

I'm a little confused how the question was intended to be worked out though - 2 marks for this, and a further two in the next part for writing down something you've already calculated in order to do this question (luminosity).

Brewer said:
Is it in metres if you use radians and parsecs if you use it in degress, arcmin and arcsec then?

More generally, the expression is:

[tex]d=\frac{d_{earth}}{\theta}[/tex]

where [itex]d_{earth}[/itex] is the distance from Earth to sun. The expression I gave you is only valid in units in which the angle is in arcseconds and the distance is in parsecs. Use the above expression for meters and radians.
I've just realized how its done though - distance can be used with the bolometric flux to find the bolometric luminosity. This is turn can be used with [tex] P = \sigma AeT^4[/tex] to find the raduis of the star right?

Yep.

Related to Working Out Star Radius from Bolometric Flux, Wavelength & Parallax

1. How do you calculate star radius from bolometric flux, wavelength, and parallax?

To calculate star radius, you can use the following formula: R = √(F/σT4), where R is the star radius, F is the bolometric flux, σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, and T is the effective temperature of the star. You will also need to take into account the parallax of the star, which is the apparent shift in its position due to Earth's orbit around the Sun.

2. Why is parallax important in determining star radius?

Parallax is important because it allows us to measure the distance to a star, which is a crucial component in calculating its radius. By measuring the apparent shift in a star's position over a period of time, we can determine its distance from Earth and use that information in our calculations.

3. What is bolometric flux and how is it related to star radius?

Bolometric flux is a measure of the total amount of energy radiated by a star at all wavelengths. It is important in calculating star radius because it is directly proportional to the star's luminosity, which is a key factor in determining its size.

4. Can star radius be accurately determined using only bolometric flux and wavelength?

No, in order to accurately determine star radius using bolometric flux and wavelength, you also need to take into account the star's effective temperature and parallax. These additional factors are necessary for a precise calculation of star radius.

5. Are there any limitations to using bolometric flux, wavelength, and parallax to determine star radius?

There are a few limitations to this method. First, it assumes that the star is a perfect blackbody radiator, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the accuracy of the parallax measurement can affect the accuracy of the calculated radius. Finally, the presence of dust or other materials can affect the measurements of bolometric flux and wavelength, leading to potential errors in the calculation.