How to Calculate Velocity and Time of a Rock Tossed Into a Hole?

• Thread starter punkytrixter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Rock
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a rock being tossed straight up with a velocity of +20 m/s and falling into a 10 m deep hole. The problem asks for the rock's velocity as it hits the bottom of the hole, which was calculated to be -24.4 m/s. The conversation then moves on to discussing how to calculate the time the rock is in the air, with one person mentioning the use of equations and another bringing up the need for the acceleration value (or g-value). The conversation concludes with a suggestion to check out a tutorial for the answer.
punkytrixter
Hello, if someone could help me with the second part of this problem, I would be so grateful.

A rock is tossed straight up with a velocity of + 20 m/s When it returns, it falls into a hole 10 m deep.

What is the rock's velocity as it hits the bottom of the hole?
I got -24.4 m/s for this.

How long is the rock in the air, from the instant it is released until it hits the bottom of the hole?
This is what I have no idea how to figure out.

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well what equations do you use to describe the object's trajectory as a function of time ?

marlon

Dont you need the a (or g) value to work this out as the object falls freely on the descend?

The acceleration is indeed the g-vector.

marlon

ps : check out this TUTORIAL

The answer you are looking for is right in there

FAQ: How to Calculate Velocity and Time of a Rock Tossed Into a Hole?

What is the process of a rock being tossed into the air?

The process of a rock being tossed into the air involves an initial force being applied to the rock, such as a person throwing it or a natural force like wind. The rock then travels through the air until it reaches its peak height, at which point it begins to fall back to the ground due to the force of gravity.

What factors affect the height and distance a rock can be tossed?

The height and distance a rock can be tossed can be affected by various factors such as the initial force applied, the weight and shape of the rock, air resistance, and external forces like wind or obstacles in its path.

What happens to the kinetic energy of a rock when it is tossed into the air?

When a rock is tossed into the air, the initial force applied gives it kinetic energy which allows it to move through the air. As the rock reaches its peak height, its kinetic energy is converted into potential energy. As it falls back to the ground, the potential energy is converted back into kinetic energy.

Can a rock tossed into the air reach escape velocity?

No, it is not possible for a rock to reach escape velocity when tossed into the air. Escape velocity is the speed required for an object to overcome the gravitational pull of a celestial body, and the force applied in tossing a rock is not enough to reach this speed.

What are some real-life applications of studying the motion of a rock tossed into the air?

Studying the motion of a rock tossed into the air can have various real-life applications. For example, understanding the effects of air resistance and external forces can help in designing projectiles for sports like baseball or studying the trajectory of objects in space. It can also be used to analyze the impact of natural disasters such as volcanic eruptions or landslides.

Back