Rock is being thrown horizontally off a cliff (2d motion)

In summary, The rock was thrown horizontally off a 56 m high cliff overlooking the ocean and the sound of the splash was heard 3.60 seconds later. The initial velocity of the rock was 2.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

A rock is thrown horizontally off a 56 m high cliff overlooking the ocean. And the sound of the splash is heard 3.60 seconds later. Speed of sound in air is 343 m/s.

What was the initial velocity of the rock?

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I know

height of cliff is [itex]56m [/itex]

[itex] V_0y = 0, V_x = V_{0x} [/itex]

##t = t_1 + t_2=3.60 s##

Time it took for the rock to hit the ground I use this eq because ##V_oy = 0##

##\Delta y = V_{0y} t + \frac 12 a_x t^2##

## \sqrt {{2\Delta y }\over{a_x}} = t_1##

plugging my values in I got

##t_1 = 3.38## whichc gives ##t_2 = 0.22 ##

Since the cliff is 56 m high, I don't know the horizontal distance, but I do know that the speed of sound is traveling back in a straight line at ##343 m/s##, and with this, I multiply ##343 m/s## by ##0.22 s##, and get ##75 m##. This helps me get horizontal distance of ##50 m##. Does everyone agree with my logic here?

So now I use formula
since ##V_{0x} = V_x##

##\Delta x = {(V_{0x} + V_x)t\over 2}##

##{{\Delta x}\over t} = V_x##

plugging in I get ##14.8 m/s ##

But my book gives me answer ##15.1 m/s##

Now I believe this to be an error that has to do with rounding or significant figures, but I'm not sure, and I don't see my professor until Saturday so I can't ask him if my method is correct. Can anyone please help me here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your method looks correct. It's probably round offs. Do it symbolically and plug in numbers at the very end to confirm this.

Rijad Hadzic said:
Since the cliff is 56 m high, I don't know the horizontal distance, but I do know that the speed of sound is traveling back in a straight line at ##343 m/s##, and with this, I multiply ##343 m/s## by ##0.22 s##, and get ##75 m##. This helps me get horizontal distance of ##50 m##. Does everyone agree with my logic here?
Logic's okay, but you need to keep more digits in your intermediate values to avoid accumulated roundoff/truncation errors from creeping into your significant figures. Also, you haven't mentioned anywhere what value you are using for g.
So now I use formula
since ##V_{0x} = V_x##

##\Delta x = {(V_{0x} + V_x)t\over 2}##

##{{2\Delta x}\over t} = V_x##

plugging in I get ##14.8 m/s ##

But my book gives me answer ##15.1 m/s##
Not sure why you went to the trouble of using the formula you did. Since the x-velocity is constant you could simply write ##Δx = v_x t##. You should make clear which value of t you used, since there are three values that've come up to this point.
Now I believe this to be an error that has to do with rounding or significant figures, but I'm not sure, and I don't see my professor until Saturday so I can't ask him if my method is correct. Can anyone please help me here?
Yup. Keep more digits in intermediate values or do the whole thing symbolically and only plug in values at the end.

[Oops! I see that @kuruman got there ahead of me!]

Thanks for the replies guys.

Gneill I see what you mean with [itex] (2\Delta x /t) = V_x [/itex]

not sure why I wrote that, it wasn't like that on the paper I was doing my work on, it was indeed

[itex] \Delta x / t = V_x [/itex] because [itex] V_{0x} + V_x = 2V_x [/itex]

So my method is good, great! One more question before I mark as "answered," so its best to do significant figures at the end the question, and keep all the intermediate values until then?

Rijad Hadzic said:
One more question before I mark as "answered," so its best to do significant figures at the end the question, and keep all the intermediate values until then?
Yes. Rounding should be done only for "presentation" values. In practice, keep two or three guard extra digits of precision in any intermediate values that you need to "store" on paper rather than keeping them in a calculator memory at full precision. Of course, it's always best to do the majority of the work algebraically, only plugging in values once the equations have been simplified and the number of operations minimized.

gneill said:
rather than keeping them in a calculator memory at full precision
Why?

haruspex said:
Why?
I meant that if intermediate values could not be kept on the calculator for any reason then any values kept on paper should be be recorded with extra digits.

gneill said:
I meant that if intermediate values could not be kept on the calculator for any reason then any values kept on paper should be be recorded with extra digits.
Ah, ok.

Rijad Hadzic said:
But my book gives me answer 15.1m/s15.1m/s15.1 m/s
I got 14.87 m/s using g = 9.8 m/s^2 and 15.13 m/s using g = 9.81 m/s^2
Edit: had to correct units

TomHart said:
I got 14.87 m/s using g = 9.8 m/s^2 and 15.13 m/s using g = 9.81 m/s^2
Edit: had to correct units
I confirm those numbers. Interestingly, g=10 m/s2 gives 19.9 m/s, showing how sensitive the answer is to precision of the data.
Going by significant digits, the least accurate input value is the cliff height. It could be anything from 55.5m, giving 17.5m/s, to 56.5m, giving 12.5m/s.
This sensitivity arises because most of the 3.6s is taken by the descent of the rock. A small change in the latter produces a much larger percentage change in the time left for the sound to return.

1. What factors affect the horizontal distance traveled by the rock?

The horizontal distance traveled by the rock is affected by the initial velocity of the rock, the angle at which it is thrown, and the force of gravity acting on the rock.

2. How does the horizontal distance traveled change as the initial velocity increases?

The horizontal distance traveled increases as the initial velocity increases, assuming all other factors remain constant. This is because the initial velocity determines the speed at which the rock travels.

3. How does the angle of throw affect the horizontal distance traveled?

The angle of throw can greatly affect the horizontal distance traveled by the rock. The ideal angle for maximum horizontal distance is 45 degrees, as this angle provides the best balance between the vertical and horizontal components of velocity.

4. Is the horizontal motion of the rock affected by air resistance?

In most cases, yes, air resistance will affect the horizontal motion of the rock. However, if the rock is thrown with a very high initial velocity or at a very low angle, the effect of air resistance may be negligible.

5. How does the height of the cliff affect the horizontal distance traveled by the rock?

The height of the cliff does not directly affect the horizontal distance traveled by the rock. However, a higher cliff may provide a longer time frame for the rock to travel horizontally before hitting the ground, which could result in a greater horizontal distance traveled.