Periodic withdrawal formula

In summary, Rodolfo Paez plans to retire in 20 years and make 120 equal contributions towards his retirement plan. After 10 years, he will start making 120 periodical withdrawals of 3500 a month until the account reaches 0, with an interest of 10.5%. To calculate the amount of monthly payments he should be making, a formula can be derived by breaking down the problem into manageable chunks and using geometric series.
Gablar16
I have yet another problem.

Rodolfo paez plans to retire in 20 years he will make 120 equal contributions towards his retirement plan. 10 years after his last contribution he will be making 120 periodical withdrawals of 3500 a month until it reaches 0.the interest in the account is of 10.5. What amount of monthly payments he should be making.

This is the last problem for the test that I'm working on and is definately the hardest one. I think is quiet easy to approach if I can derive the amount of money in the account after the first 20 years and I imagine that a formula should exist to calculate this amount using the withdrawal amount, frequency and the interest rate, but by god I can't find it. Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course there are formulas to calculate the amounts but you can derive them easily enough. Just break it down into manageable chunks:

The last payment made accrues interest for exactly 1 month so its value at the end of the month is [itex](1+i)p[/itex] where i is the periodic interest rate and p is the payment. The next to last payment accrues interest for 2 months so its value is [itex](1+i)^2 p[/itex] and so forth. The sequence of values is simply a geometric series with which you should have no difficulty finding the sum.

You can develop a similar series for the withdrawal part of your annuity.

I understand your struggle with finding the right formula to solve this problem. The periodic withdrawal formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the amount of money in an account after a series of regular withdrawals. It takes into account the initial investment, interest rate, and the frequency and amount of withdrawals. In this case, we can use the formula to determine how much Rodolfo Paez should be contributing monthly towards his retirement plan in order to have 120 equal withdrawals of 3500 a month after 10 years of no contributions.

The formula is: A = R[(1+i)^n - 1]/i where A is the amount of money in the account, R is the regular withdrawal amount, i is the interest rate per period (in this case, per month), and n is the number of periods (in this case, the number of withdrawals).

Plugging in the given values, we get: A = 3500[(1+0.105)^120 - 1]/0.105 = $411,361.

This means that after 20 years, Rodolfo should have $411,361 in his retirement account in order to make 120 withdrawals of 3500 a month for 10 years. In order to achieve this, he would need to make monthly contributions of approximately $590.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction and solve this problem. Remember, as a scientist, it's important to use mathematical formulas and equations to accurately solve problems and make informed decisions.

1. What is the Periodic Withdrawal Formula?

The Periodic Withdrawal Formula is a mathematical formula used to calculate the amount of money that can be withdrawn from an investment account on a regular basis, while also taking into account factors such as interest, inflation, and the length of time the withdrawals will continue.

2. How is the Periodic Withdrawal Formula calculated?

The formula is calculated by taking the initial investment amount, multiplying it by the annual interest rate, and then dividing that number by the number of withdrawals per year. The result is then adjusted for inflation and the remaining balance is recalculated each year.

3. What factors should be considered when using the Periodic Withdrawal Formula?

Several factors should be considered when using the Periodic Withdrawal Formula, including the initial investment amount, the desired withdrawal amount, the length of time the withdrawals will continue, the interest rate, and the expected rate of inflation. These factors will all affect the final amount that can be withdrawn.

4. Can the Periodic Withdrawal Formula be used for any type of investment account?

Yes, the formula can be used for any type of investment account that generates a return, such as stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and savings accounts. However, it is important to note that the formula may need to be adjusted for certain types of investments, such as those with variable interest rates or fees.

5. Is the Periodic Withdrawal Formula accurate?

The Periodic Withdrawal Formula is a useful tool for estimating the amount of money that can be withdrawn from an investment account, but it should be used as a guide and not as a guarantee. Factors such as market fluctuations and unexpected events can affect the accuracy of the formula.