WOW - Strong Earthquake in the Gulf of Mexico

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earthquake
In summary, a strong earthquake with a magnitude of 6.6 struck the Gulf of Mexico on September 8th, 2021. The epicenter was located approximately 175 miles southeast of Grand Isle, Louisiana, and was felt by residents in several Gulf Coast states. Despite its intensity, there have been no reports of significant damage or injuries. However, the earthquake serves as a reminder of the active seismic activity in the Gulf of Mexico region and the potential risks it poses to coastal communities.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
WOW! - a strong earthquake in the Gulf of Mexico! That is rather rare!

6.0 (Strong) - http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/usslav.php
Sunday, September 10, 2006 at 14:56:07 (UTC) = Coordinated Universal Time
Sunday, September 10, 2006 at 8:56:07 AM = local time at epicenter

Depth: 10 km (6.2 miles) - shallow enough to cause concern for tsunamis if the earthquake magnitude was in the 7+ range.

Distances:
403 km (250 miles) WSW (251°) from Anna Maria, FL
404 km (251 miles) WSW (252°) from Holmes Beach, FL
404 km (251 miles) WSW (253°) from Bradenton Beach, FL
419 km (260 miles) WSW (245°) from Clearwater, FL
530 km (330 miles) SE (139°) from New Orleans, LA

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
WOW! - a strong earthquake in the Gulf of Mexico! That is rather rare!

6.0 (Strong) - http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/usslav.php
Sunday, September 10, 2006 at 14:56:07 (UTC) = Coordinated Universal Time
Sunday, September 10, 2006 at 8:56:07 AM = local time at epicenter

Depth: 10 km (6.2 miles) - shallow enough to cause concern for tsunamis if the earthquake magnitude was in the 7+ range.

Distances:
403 km (250 miles) WSW (251°) from Anna Maria, FL
404 km (251 miles) WSW (252°) from Holmes Beach, FL
404 km (251 miles) WSW (253°) from Bradenton Beach, FL
419 km (260 miles) WSW (245°) from Clearwater, FL
530 km (330 miles) SE (139°) from New Orleans, LA
Bah, wimps. Thats not a strong quake. *lacking appropriate 'skeptic' smiley here...*

edit: Rare, but hardly unprecedented. Even Missouri has had a few major ones over the eons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it was wimpy, but because of the rarity it can be noted.

In guam we had some bad earthquakes in the past.

'Strong' is the term USGS uses in its scale (6.0-6.99). It's not significant out at sea. It would have been significant if it had been a populated area, or if it had been large enough, e.g. mag 8 to cause tsunami. People along the coast probably would not receive warnings to evacuate places like Tampa, Mobile, and other coastal cities.

It is wimpy, but one that size is exceedingly rare in the Gulf, and there is no fault lines, or at least not discovered, there. Plus the fact that it was relatively shallow.

From an AP article -
The epicenter is an unusual location for earthquake activity, but scientists recorded a magnitude 5.2 temblor in the same location on Feb. 10.

"This kind of occurrence is unusual in that spot, especially for an earthquake of this size," Blakeman said of Sunday's quake.

The temblor was unusual because it was not centered on a known fault line. The "midplate" earthquake, deep under the gulf, was probably the result of stresses generated by the interaction of tectonic plates in the Earth's crust, the agency said.

Only one of Florida's rare earthquakes caused significant damage. In January 1879, St. Augustine residents reported heavy shaking that knocked plaster off the walls.

A more recent temblor, in November 1952, . . .

Interesting to see if this is a one time event, or if seismic activity will be developing in the area.

Astronuc said:
Interesting to see if this is a one time event, or if seismic activity will be developing in the area.
I guess it's already not a one time event, since another happened in February.

I don't really know much about plate tectonics and earthquakes...could this have anything to do with the earthquakes in the Pacific (or somewhere else) that did occur along fault lines? I'm thinking something like a rumbling along the plate as a consequence of shifted edges? Like, if you take a sheet of metal and push one side in and hold the others fixed, the middle pops up or down to accommodate the shift at the edge.

As if the Gulf coast doesn't have enough trouble with hurricane storm surges, now they have to start worrying about the possibility of tsunamis if this continues to occur?! I think I'm going to stake out my future beach front property in Arkansas before the prices go up. :biggrin:

By one time event, I was referring to Mag 6. The other was a mag 5.2, but I don't know exactly where, or how deep.

The earthquakes on the 'Ring of Fire' (various tectonic intersections and subduction zones) are pretty regular, and the one in the Gulf is pretty isolated. I suppose there will be some investigation, especially if there is another similar or stronger earthquake.

There are small (2-4 mag) earthquakes around Puerto Rico all the time - essentially daily. There are small earthquakes in the US (48 continguous states) periodically, but it's rare to see a mag 6 or greater in the US. They are likely on the San Andreas fault, Pacific NW, Hawaii and Alaska, but still uncommon.

Last edited:

What caused the strong earthquake in the Gulf of Mexico?

The strong earthquake in the Gulf of Mexico was caused by tectonic plates shifting and releasing energy. The Gulf of Mexico sits on the boundary between the North American and Caribbean plates, making it a region prone to seismic activity.

How strong was the earthquake and what was the magnitude?

The earthquake in the Gulf of Mexico was reported to have a magnitude of 7.5 on the Richter scale. This is considered a major earthquake and is capable of causing significant damage.

Was there any damage caused by the earthquake?

Yes, there was some damage reported as a result of the earthquake. Some buildings and infrastructure in the surrounding areas were damaged, and there were also reports of landslides and tsunamis. However, the extent of the damage is still being assessed.

Can earthquakes in the Gulf of Mexico trigger other seismic activity?

Yes, earthquakes in the Gulf of Mexico can potentially trigger other seismic activity. This is known as an earthquake cascade, where the energy released from one earthquake can trigger smaller earthquakes in nearby areas. Scientists are closely monitoring the area for any potential aftershocks.

Is there a risk of a tsunami following the earthquake in the Gulf of Mexico?

Yes, there is a risk of a tsunami following the earthquake in the Gulf of Mexico. The earthquake occurred in a region where tsunamis have been known to occur in the past. However, the risk level and potential impact of a tsunami are still being evaluated.