Exploring the Meaning of Curling a Stress Tensor

In summary, the term "curl" usually applies to vector fields. If there is an equivalent definition of curl for tensor fields, I am not familair with it.
touqra
Can we curl a stress tensor? What physically meaning will it be?

Physics news on Phys.org
The term "curl" usually applies to vector fields. If there is an equivalent definition of curl for tensor fields, I am not familair with it.

- Warren

Are you referring to an operation like
[tex]\nabla_{[a}T_{b]c[/tex]?

I was thinking of something like Helmholtz's theorem, where if you specify the div and curl of a vector field, you then know everything there is to know about the field.
Maybe there's something similar for rank 2 tensor, like the stress tensor, or higher tensors.

chroot said:
The term "curl" usually applies to vector fields. If there is an equivalent definition of curl for tensor fields, I am not familair with it.

- Warren
Incidentally, the defn of curl resembles the antisymmetrized derivative (F in electromagnetism & the curvature tensor in GR). That's not accidental, is it?

Hi

i think that the rotor (curl) of a bilinear tensor T can be defined as follows:

let [T] be the matrix associated with T :

t11 t12 t13
[T] = t21 t22 t23
t31 t32 t33

interpreting the raws of [T] as vectors

T1=t11*e1+t12*e2+t13*e3 => [T1]'=(t11,t12,t13)
T2=t21*e1+t22*e2+t23*e3 => [T2]'=(t21,t22,t23)
T3=t31*e3+t32*e2+t33*e3 => [T3]'=(t31,t32,t33)

we can write [T] as

[T1]'
[T] = ( [T2]' )
[T3]'

then, the rotor (curl) of T is simply :

[rotT] = ( [rotT1] , [rotT2] , [rotT3] )

where [rotT1] , [rotT2] , [rotT3] are the column matrix of the rotor (curl) of vectors T1, T2 and T3

Thrice said:
Incidentally, the defn of curl resembles the antisymmetrized derivative (F in electromagnetism & the curvature tensor in GR). That's not accidental, is it?
Indeed, Thrice, this is not accidental. I am learning much of the nature of axial vectors, curl, and the Minkowski tensor. I need to understand the forms expressed in spherical terms and fields for magnetism.

Curl and all that

touqra said:
Can we curl a [second rank] tensor?

There are various things one could mean by this, but yes, there are various ways of generalizing the "curl" from vector calculus. In the context of gtr, one particularly useful formalism involves "curl" and "div" operations on hyperslices using the induced connection in the slice.

nike^^ said:
i think that the rotor (curl) of a bilinear tensor T can be defined as follows:

You should ask yourself if your proposed operation yields a tensor.

touqra said:
I was thinking of something like Helmholtz's theorem, where if you specify the div and curl of a vector field, you then know everything there is to know about the field.
Maybe there's something similar for rank 2 tensor, like the stress tensor, or higher tensors.

Yes indeed, the Hodge decomposition, which applies to p-forms, generalizes the Helmholtz decomposition. This can be stated in various ways: one statement is that any exterior form on a compact boundaryless Riemannian manifold can be uniquely decomposed (as an orthogonal direct sum) as the sum of an exact form, a coexact form, and a harmonic form: [itex]\beta = d\alpha + \delta \gamma + \eta[/itex], where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a coclosed (p-1)-form, [itex]\gamma[/itex] is a closed (p+1)-form, and [itex]\eta[/itex] is a harmonic p-form (thus, both closed and coclosed).

Undergraduate courses which mention the Helmholtz decomposition typically omit mention of the harmonic term by adding the additional assumption that the form to be decomposed asymptotically vanishes far from the origin (of R^3), whence by Liouville's theorem we expect the harmonic form appearing in the decomposition to vanish, which it does. See for example Frankel, Geometry of Physics.

Exterior forms are anti-symmetric tensors, so this won't apply directly to a symmetric tensor. Also, Hodge theory works best in Riemannian manifolds, not Lorentzian manifolds.

Last edited:

1. What is a stress tensor in physics?

A stress tensor is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the stress or force per unit area acting on a material. It is a 3x3 matrix that represents the distribution of forces and torques on an infinitesimal element of a material.

2. How is a stress tensor used in the study of materials?

In materials science, the stress tensor is used to understand the mechanical properties of materials, such as how they deform under stress. It can also be used to predict how a material will behave under different conditions and how it will respond to external forces.

3. What does it mean to "curl" a stress tensor?

Curling a stress tensor refers to taking the curl of the stress tensor, which is a mathematical operation that describes the tendency of a vector field (in this case, the stress tensor) to rotate. This can provide insights into the rotational forces acting on a material.

4. What can be learned from exploring the meaning of curling a stress tensor?

Exploring the meaning of curling a stress tensor can help us understand the complex forces and deformations that occur in materials under stress. It can also provide insights into the stability and failure mechanisms of materials, which is crucial in engineering and design processes.

5. How is the concept of curling a stress tensor used in other fields?

Curling a stress tensor is not only used in materials science but also has applications in fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and other areas of physics. It is a fundamental concept in understanding how forces and fields interact and can be applied to a wide range of systems and phenomena.