How Is Acceleration Calculated for a Hollow Cylinder Lawn Roller?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a lawn roller, which is a hollow cylinder with a handle attached to the axle, to roll without slipping. The acceleration and frictional force are determined using the equations Sum Fy= n - M*g, Sum Fx= F - f, and Sum F = M*a. The equations for translational and rotational motion are also provided, and a final equation is derived to determine the acceleration. The correctness of the equations is questioned and it is determined that they are correct.
John O' Meara
A lawn roller in the form of a hollow cylinder of mass M is pulled horizontally with a constant force F applied by a handle attached to the axle. If it rolls without slipping, find the acceleration and the frictional force.
Let R1 be the radius of the hollow and R2 the outer radius, and (alpha) the angular acceleration.
Sum Fy= n - M*g
Sum Fx= F - f.
Where n = normal reaction and f = friction force. Applying Sum F = M*a, we get n=M*g ...as ay=0.
F - f = M*ax ...the equation for the translational motion of the center of mass. And where ax and ay are the accelerations in the x and y directions resprctively.
And the equation of rotational motion about the axis through the center of mass is:
f*R2 = I*(alpha)=.5*M*(R1^2+R2^2)
f*R2 = .5*M*(R1^2+R2^2)*ax/R2: let a=ax
f = .5*M*(R1^2+R2^2)*a/R2^2 ...(ii)
F-f = M*a...(i) After adding i and ii
a=F/(M+.5*M*(R1^2+R2^2)/R2^2.
The question is, is this correct or not? And where is it wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me.

I would say that your approach and equations seem to be correct based on the given information. However, there are a few things that could be clarified or improved upon in your response.

Firstly, it would be helpful to provide some context or background information about rotational inertia and its importance in this problem. This would help the reader understand why the equations and approach you have used are relevant and necessary.

Secondly, it would be beneficial to define your variables and explain their significance in the problem. For example, it would be helpful to define R1 and R2 as the inner and outer radii of the cylinder, respectively, and explain why they are important in determining the frictional force.

Additionally, you could clarify the meaning of the equations you have used, such as the equation for rotational motion about the center of mass. This would help the reader understand the logic behind your approach and how the equations are related to each other.

Finally, it would be good to mention any assumptions that were made in solving this problem, such as assuming that the roller is a rigid body and that there is no external torque acting on it.

Overall, your response seems to be correct, but providing more context, defining variables, and clarifying equations and assumptions would make it more thorough and clear.

FAQ: How Is Acceleration Calculated for a Hollow Cylinder Lawn Roller?

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of mass in the object.

2. How is rotational inertia different from mass?

While mass is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion, rotational inertia is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. An object with a larger rotational inertia will require more torque to rotate at the same angular acceleration as an object with a smaller rotational inertia.

3. What factors affect rotational inertia?

The two main factors that affect rotational inertia are the mass of the object and the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation. The greater the mass and the farther it is from the axis, the greater the rotational inertia.

4. How does rotational inertia affect objects in motion?

Rotational inertia plays a crucial role in the motion of objects. It determines how much torque is needed to change an object's rotational motion or to keep it rotating at a constant speed. Objects with a larger rotational inertia will be more stable and resistant to changes in their motion.

5. How can rotational inertia be calculated?

The rotational inertia of a point mass can be calculated using the formula I = mr², where m is the mass and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. For more complex objects, the rotational inertia can be calculated by breaking the object down into smaller parts and using the formula I = Σmᵢrᵢ², where Σmᵢ is the sum of the masses of the individual parts and rᵢ is the distance of each part from the axis of rotation.

Back