Inertia of a hollow cylinder and hollow sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the inertia of a hollow cylinder with an unknown inner radius, in order to determine the required radius for the cylinder to roll down an incline in the same time as a spherical shell with the same mass and outer radius. The formula for the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder is given, and the discussion also mentions the importance of considering the density of the cylinder in the calculation. The final formula for the inertia of the hollow cylinder is determined to be I=M[(R_out)^2+(R_in)^2]/2.
GayYoda

Homework Statement

Consider a hollow cylinder of mass M with an outer radius R_out = 10 cm and an unknown inner radius R_in. If the hollow cylinder is to roll down an incline in the same time as a spherical shell of the same mass and the same outer radius, calculate R_in.

Homework Equations

I_cyl = MR^2/2 .
I_shell = 3/5(MR^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the inertia of each are equal but I'm not sure

Physics news on Phys.org
You've given the moment of inertia of a solid cylinder. What you need is the inertia of a hollow cylinder of finite thickness.

I=M/2[(R_out)^2-(R_in)^2]?

GayYoda said:
I=M/2[(R_out)^2-(R_in)^2]?
What happens in your formula if ##R_{in}## is close to ##R_{out}##?

To calculate this inertia is not that easy. I suggest you consider the density of the cylinder.

i got it now its I=M[(R_out)^2+(R_in)^2]/2 as the density becomes M/[pi*h*[(R_out)^2-(R_in)^2] and when you sub it back into the intergral it becomes [(R_out)^4-(R_in)^4]/[(R_out)^2-(R_in)^2] = [(R_out)^2+(R_in)^2] because of difference of 2 squares

1. What is the definition of inertia?

Inertia is defined as the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. This means that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does the inertia of a hollow cylinder compare to that of a solid cylinder?

The inertia of a hollow cylinder is lower than that of a solid cylinder with the same mass and dimensions. This is because the mass of a hollow cylinder is distributed further from the central axis, reducing its resistance to rotational motion.

3. How does the shape of an object affect its inertia?

The shape of an object can greatly affect its inertia. Objects with larger mass and/or distributed mass further from the central axis will have a higher inertia, while objects with smaller mass and/or distributed mass closer to the central axis will have a lower inertia.

4. Does the size of a hollow cylinder or hollow sphere affect its inertia?

The size of a hollow cylinder or hollow sphere does not affect its inertia as long as the mass and distribution of mass remain constant. This means that a small hollow cylinder and a large hollow cylinder with the same mass and dimensions will have the same inertia.

5. How is the inertia of a hollow sphere different from that of a hollow cylinder?

The inertia of a hollow sphere is greater than that of a hollow cylinder with the same mass and dimensions. This is because the mass of a hollow sphere is distributed further from the central axis, resulting in a higher resistance to rotational motion.