Photons Perceive Universe as 2D: A Curious State?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of envisioning the universe from the standpoint of a photon and how this would affect the measurement of time and length due to the Lorentz contraction and time dilation equations. The conclusion was reached that from the photons point of view, it would appear as though the length of the universe contracts to zero and time would also appear to stand still. This led to the question of whether a photon would perceive itself as being stuck in a timeless and stationary state on a 2D sheet. A previous discussion on this topic was referenced for further information.
LHarriger
I was trying to envision the universe from the standpoint of a photon and it seems that based on the Lorentz contraction:
[itex]L = L_{0}\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}[/itex]
since u = c this implies that, from the photons point of view, the length of the universe in the photons direction of travel contracts to zero.
Moreover, based on time dialation
[itex]\bar{t} = \frac{t}{\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}[/itex]
since u = c any time t-bar measured by an observer will correspond to a zero time measurement by the photon.
Does all this mean that a photon observes itself as stuck timeless and stationary on a 2D sheet?
This just seems like a curious state of affairs and I was wondering if my reasoning was correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
LHarriger said:
I was trying to envision the universe from the standpoint of a photon and it seems that based on the Lorentz contraction:
[itex]L = L_{0}\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}[/itex]
since u = c this implies that, from the photons point of view, the length of the universe in the photons direction of travel contracts to zero.
Moreover, based on time dialation
[itex]\bar{t} = \frac{t}{\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}[/itex]
since u = c any time t-bar measured by an observer will correspond to a zero time measurement by the photon.
Does all this mean that a photon observes itself as stuck timeless and stationary on a 2D sheet?
This just seems like a curious state of affairs and I was wondering if my reasoning was correct.
There was an earlier discussion on this topic: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=107741" already. Perhaps it answers your question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

What is the theory behind "Photons Perceive Universe as 2D: A Curious State?"

The theory suggests that photons, the fundamental particles of light, perceive the universe as a two-dimensional space rather than the three-dimensional space that we perceive it as. This means that photons only have a limited perception of the universe and cannot fully comprehend its complexity.

How does this theory affect our understanding of the universe?

This theory challenges our traditional understanding of the universe as a three-dimensional space and forces us to reconsider the nature of reality. It also raises questions about the limitations of human perception and the role of consciousness in shaping our understanding of the universe.

What evidence supports this theory?

There is currently no direct evidence to support this theory as it is still a topic of debate and exploration in the scientific community. However, some studies have shown that photons exhibit wave-like behavior and can only be observed at specific points, which could be interpreted as perceiving the universe in a two-dimensional way.

How does this theory relate to other theories of the universe?

This theory does not necessarily contradict other theories of the universe, but rather offers a new perspective on how the universe may be perceived. It could potentially complement theories such as string theory, which also suggests that the universe may have more dimensions than we can perceive.

What implications does this theory have for future research?

This theory opens up new avenues for exploration and research in the field of physics and cosmology. It challenges scientists to think outside the box and consider alternative perspectives when studying the universe. It also highlights the importance of continued research and investigation into the nature of reality.