Been away a while. Miss anything?

• Thread starter Kalimaa23
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person who took a break from posting on a forum after graduating and returning now as a PhD student and TA. They ask if they missed anything important and are told about a few birthdays and the usual discussions, including topics related to relationships and being a new TA. The conversation also mentions some staff changes and other forum members' personal matters.
Kalimaa23
Hi all,

I took a little time of from these fora after my graduation. Now that I have pretty much settled in my new life as a PhD student and TA I'm ready to stalk these boards once more.

So, did I miss anything important these last few months?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dimitri Terryn said:
So, did I miss anything important these last few months?
A few birthdays, but other than that, just the usual stuff.

Your just in time to give your views on what women/girls want, and other related problems. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
Your just in time to give your views on what women/girls want, and other related problems. :biggrin:

Indeed, I can relate to the problem

Astronuc said:
In other words, nothing has changed around here. :smile:

There have been a few threads about experiences as and advice for new TAs, so those might be relevant if you're interested in tips or sympathy from others also just starting out as TAs this year.

There have been some staff changes. jtbell and berkeman have ascended to Mentorhood, and enigma, hypnagogue and dduardo have taken time off for real life matters.

I am sure i noted that some one got married another six or seven times.

Evidently, Ivan got crabs (I'm afraid to open that thread).

Related to Been away a while. Miss anything?

1. What have I missed in the scientific community while I've been away?

While you were away, there have been numerous advancements and discoveries in various fields of science. Some notable ones include the first-ever image of a black hole, the development of CRISPR gene editing technology, and the discovery of new exoplanets.

2. Has there been any progress in finding a cure for COVID-19?

Yes, there have been significant developments in the search for a COVID-19 cure. Multiple vaccines have been developed and approved for use, and ongoing research continues to improve our understanding of the virus and potential treatments.

3. What new technologies have emerged during my absence?

There have been many advancements in technology, including the development of artificial intelligence, quantum computing, and virtual and augmented reality. These technologies have the potential to revolutionize various industries and fields of study.

4. Have there been any major breakthroughs in renewable energy?

Yes, there have been several breakthroughs in renewable energy, such as the development of more efficient solar panels and the use of hydrogen fuel cells. Additionally, there has been a significant increase in the adoption of renewable energy sources worldwide.

5. How has climate change research progressed in recent years?

Climate change research has continued to advance, with more evidence supporting the urgent need for action to mitigate its effects. Scientists have also made strides in developing sustainable solutions to combat climate change, such as renewable energy and carbon capture technology.