Register to reply

LINEAR ALGEBRA: What is the relationship between ||y||^2 and y . x?

by VinnyCee
Tags: algebra, linear, relationship, ||y||2
Share this thread:
VinnyCee
Nov6-06, 08:08 AM
P: 492
QUESTION (5.1, #30 -> Bretscher, O.):

Consider a subspace V of [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex] and a vector [tex]\overrightarrow{x}[/tex] in [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex]. Let [tex]\overrightarrow{y}\,=\,proj_v\,\overrightarrow{x}[/tex]. What is the relationship between the following quantities?

[tex]||\overrightarrow{y}||^2[/tex] and [tex]\overrightarrow{y}\,\cdot\,\overrightarrow{x}[/tex]

My work so far:

I only know this for sure...

[tex]||\overrightarrow{y}||\,\leq\,||\overrightarrow{x}||\,\iff\,\overrighta rrow{x}\,\in\,V[/tex]

But how do I use this to relate the two quantities? Please help, thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
quasar987
Nov6-06, 10:57 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,771
I assume [itex]\hat{v}[/itex] is a unit vector? Then [itex]\vec{y}=(\vec{x}\cdot \hat{v})\hat{v}[/itex]. I think this "substitution" is a good place to start.
VinnyCee
Nov6-06, 05:42 PM
Ok, I use that version and write:

[tex]\,\left[\left(\overrightarrow{v}\,\cdot\,\overrightarrow{x}\right)\,\overrighta rrow{v}\right]\,\cdot\,\left[\left(\overrightarrow{v}\,\cdot\,\overrightarrow{x}\right)\,\overrighta rrow{v}\right]\,[/tex]

[tex]\left[\left(\overrightarrow{v}\,\cdot\,\overrightarrow{x}\right)\,\overrighta rrow{v}\right]\,\cdot\,\overrightarrow{x}[/tex]

This is two equations in two variables.

Is the second one equal to zero?

quasar987
Nov6-06, 05:49 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
LINEAR ALGEBRA: What is the relationship between ||y||^2 and y . x?

write the squared norm of y as [itex]||\vec{y}||^2=\vec{y}\cdot\vec{y}[/itex].

and simplify <y,x> a little also.

the relationship should become clear.

(Why would you think the second one equals to zero?)
VinnyCee
Nov6-06, 06:22 PM
The squared norm of y is [tex]||\,\left(\overrightarrow{v}\,\cdot\,\overrightarrow{x}\right)^2\,\over rightarrow{v}^2\,||[/tex]?

[tex]\overrightarrow{y}\,\cdot\,\overrightarrow{y}\,=\,||\overrightarrow{y}| |^2[/tex]

Does that sound right?
quasar987
Nov6-06, 06:34 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
As I said, the squared norm (or norm squared if you'd like) of [itex]\vec{y}[/itex] is [itex]||\vec{y}||^2=\vec{y}\cdot\vec{y}[/itex].

And as I said in post #2, [itex]\vec{y}=(\vec{x}\cdot \hat{v})\hat{v}[/itex]. So

[tex]||\vec{y}||^2=(\vec{x}\cdot \hat{v})\hat{v}\cdot(\vec{x}\cdot \hat{v})\hat{v}[/tex].

Now use the properties of the scalar product to make that look nicer (e.g. [itex] \vec{a}\cdot \alpha\vec{b}= \alpha\vec{a}\cdot \vec{b}= \alpha(\vec{a}\cdot \vec{b})[/itex])
quasar987
Nov6-06, 06:37 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
As a general rule, stay away from notational shortcuts like [itex]\vec{y}^2[/itex] in a mathematics course. Always write the ||
VinnyCee
Nov6-06, 06:41 PM
Like the first equation in post #3?

Scalar product properties?

So...

[tex]\hat{v}\,\left(\overrightarrow{x}\,\cdot\,\hat{v}\right)^2[/tex] is the norm squared?
VinnyCee
Nov6-06, 06:54 PM
I am guessing that this might have something to do with the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality since it is in the section and all, right?

[tex]|\vec{x}\,\cdot\,\vec{y}|\,\leq\,||\vec{x}||\,||\vec{y}||[/tex]

How do I use the inequality for this problem? Just start substituting?
quasar987
Nov6-06, 06:56 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
The first equation in post #3 doesn't make much sense because the ||a|| notation means "norm of vector a", but in your first equation of post 3, you have a scalar in btw the ||.||. You don't even need absolute values either because [itex]\vec{y}\cdot\vec{y}=y_x^2+y_y^2+y_z^2[/itex] can never be negative.

So the equation to work with is [itex]||\vec{y}||^2=(\vec{x}\cdot \hat{v})\hat{v}\cdot(\vec{x}\cdot \hat{v})\hat{v}[/itex]

And if that is the norm squared, how did you pass from that to [itex]\hat{v}\,\left(\overrightarrow{x}\,\cdot\,\hat{v}\ \right)[/itex] as the norm squared?! This is not even a scalar!

You need to re-read your notes carefully I think!
VinnyCee
Nov6-06, 07:02 PM
So we have:

[tex]||\vec{y}||^2=(\vec{x}\cdot \hat{v})\hat{v}\cdot(\vec{x}\cdot \hat{v})\hat{v}[/tex]

But how do you simplify that expression? (without just going back to [tex]||\vec{y}||^2[/tex])
xAxis
Nov6-06, 07:25 PM
P: 210
You can simplify it in many ways, but you must compare your RHS
[tex](\vec{x}\cdot \hat{v})\hat{v}\cdot(\vec{x}\cdot \hat{v})\hat{v}[/tex]
with
[tex]\overrightarrow{y}\,\cdot\,\overrightarrow{x}[/tex]
quasar987
Nov6-06, 07:27 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by VinnyCee
So we have:

[tex]||\vec{y}||^2=(\vec{x}\cdot \hat{v})\hat{v}\cdot(\vec{x}\cdot \hat{v})\hat{v}[/tex]

But how do you simplify that expression? (without just going back to [tex]||\vec{y}||^2[/tex])
By the properties of the scalar product (or inner product or whatever you call the [itex]\cdot[/itex] operation). More precesily, use this property: [itex] \vec{a}\cdot \alpha\vec{b}= \alpha\vec{a}\cdot \vec{b}= \alpha(\vec{a}\cdot \vec{b})[/itex].
VinnyCee
Nov6-06, 07:34 PM

[tex]||\vec{y}||^2=(\vec{x} \cdot ||\vec{v}||^2)(\vec{x} \cdot ||\vec{v}||^2)=(||\vec{x}||^2 \cdot ||\vec{v}||^4)[/tex]
quasar987
Nov6-06, 08:13 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Sniff. Where do you pull all these equations from? Your last equation doesn't make sense and you should see it! You're taking the dot product of scalars!

You have the template right here:

[tex] \vec{a}\cdot \alpha\vec{b}= \alpha\vec{a}\cdot \vec{b}= \alpha(\vec{a}\cdot \vec{b})[/tex]

Except in your case, [itex]\alpha = (\vec{x}\cdot \hat{v})[/itex] and [itex]\vec{a}=\vec{b}=\hat{v}[/itex]. And also, both a and b are multiplied by a constant.
VinnyCee
Nov6-06, 08:35 PM
[tex]||\vec{y}||^2=\alpha(\vec{a}) \cdot \alpha(\vec{a})[/tex]

But what is the result of a dot product between two identical vectors?
quasar987
Nov6-06, 08:43 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
You've only rewritten the equation by changing the notation. You're not more advanced.

Use the property of the dot product that allows you to take the alpha's and pull them in front: [tex] \vec{a}\cdot \alpha\vec{b}= \alpha\vec{a}\cdot \vec{b}= \alpha(\vec{a}\cdot \vec{b})[/tex]
VinnyCee
Nov6-06, 08:59 PM
[tex]||\vec{y}||^2=\alpha^2 \vec{a} \cdot \vec{a}[/tex]?

Register to reply