Register to reply

Which is worse: Cigars or Cigarettes

by Nothing000
Tags: cigarettes, cigars, worse
Share this thread:
Nothing000
Nov16-06, 04:33 AM
P: 442
I know what you all are going to say: They are both bad for you!!! But I want to find out which one is really worse for you.

I of course know that smoking one cigar is worse than smoking one cigarette. But I was wondering what would be worse: smoking a pack of cigarettes a day, or smoking one cigar a day?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
courtrigrad
Nov16-06, 04:40 AM
P: 1,237
cigarettes are worse
siddharth
Nov16-06, 05:20 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,198
They are both bad for you!!!

I strongly advise against both, as they can kill you.

Volumunox
Nov16-06, 06:03 AM
P: 5
Which is worse: Cigars or Cigarettes

Well.. i heard a cigar is like 10 cigarettes... so i take it cigars are worse :P
Anttech
Nov16-06, 06:18 AM
P: 1,401
Cigar smokers generally dont inhail, whether that makes a difference or not I dont know.
Nothing000
Nov16-06, 07:51 AM
Quote Quote by Anttech
Cigar smokers generally dont inhail, whether that makes a difference or not I dont know.
Ya, I forgot to mention that.

I also forgot to mention that I am asking this question since I recently started smoking cigars (I am sure most of you realized that already from the way the post was written). But I don't inhale. And yes, I know it is still bad. They are both bad; we can all agree on that. But does anyone have any factual info on the health difference between cigarettes and cigars?
radou
Nov16-06, 08:07 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,224
Quote Quote by Nothing000
Ya, I forgot to mention that.

I also forgot to mention that I am asking this question since I recently started smoking cigars (I am sure most of you realized that already from the way the post was written). But I don't inhale. And yes, I know it is still bad. They are both bad; we can all agree on that. But does anyone have any factual info on the health difference between cigarettes and cigars?
You can find lots of facts on the internet. I think cigar smokers (who don't inhale) possess a greater oral cavity cancer (of any kind) potential. Inhaling any type of cigar is pure madness. Further on, I think it looks pretty stupid, specially if you're younger, but suit yourself.
Nothing000
Nov16-06, 08:15 AM
How the hell do you know I am younger. I could easilly be in my early 130's for all you know.

Hey, do you like the deftones?
radou
Nov16-06, 08:24 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,224
How the hell do you know I am younger. I could easilly be in my early 130's for all you know.

I said, if you're younger. It's only a possibility.
Nothing000
Nov16-06, 08:30 AM
Good. Because I am in fact 132 years YOUNG. Hey, homes, do you like Deftones? And more important, do like Beastie Boys?
arildno
Nov16-06, 09:41 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
I think it is gross that Havana cigars are rolled into shape on the thighs of Cuban women.
So, just cigarettes for me.
Anttech
Nov16-06, 09:54 AM
P: 1,401
Cuban's are lovely... I only smoke 'em at special occasions, like new Year. Takes me a good few hours to finish them.
Danger
Nov16-06, 10:05 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Other areas are probably different. Here, it's the addatives in cigarette tobacco that make them worse. I always inhale cigars and pipes when I smoke them, but that's just because they aren't too far removed from the unfiltered cigarettes that I use. I pretty much gave up both of them with the advent of the emphysema because they're too harsh. Still working on the cigarette thing.
hypatia
Nov16-06, 07:48 PM
P: 1,298
Cigars, not inhaled.
Approximately 50% of people with oral cancer will live more than 5 years after diagnosis and treatment. If the cancer is detected early, before it has spread to other tissues, the cure rate is nearly 75%. Unfortunately, more than 50% of oral cancers are advanced at the time the cancer is detected. Most have spread to the throat or neck.

cigarettes
Lung cancer is the most lethal of cancers worldwide, causing up to 3 million deaths annually. Only one in ten patients diagnosed with this disease will survive the next five years.

So its just a matter of chooseing which way you perfer to die. I have seen the bodies from both kinds of deaths, neither is very pretty.
DaveC426913
Nov16-06, 08:47 PM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by hypatia
I have seen the bodies from both kinds of deaths, neither is very pretty.
What the #$!% do you do for a living!
physics girl phd
Nov17-06, 12:48 AM
P: 936
What about pipe smoking? Not that I'd consider it... I don't smoke... I just sometimes like the smell of someone who does. A mild cigarette smoke reminds me of a good girl-friend, stronger cigarettes of some European pals, etc... and well, I was walking down the street this past week and someone on the other sidewalk was smoking a pipe... and I inhaled the smell of some memories... and it was kinda nice. Could I encourage someone to smoke an occasional pipe without enormous amounts of guilt? I already know a few guys that smoke an occasional cigar. Cigars vs. pipe? Anyone know?
Evo
Nov17-06, 01:23 AM
Mentor
P: 26,473
Quote Quote by physics girl phd
What about pipe smoking? Not that I'd consider it... I don't smoke... I just sometimes like the smell of someone who does. A mild cigarette smoke reminds me of a good girl-friend, stronger cigarettes of some European pals, etc... and well, I was walking down the street this past week and someone on the other sidewalk was smoking a pipe... and I inhaled the smell of some memories... and it was kinda nice. Could I encourage someone to smoke an occasional pipe without enormous amounts of guilt? I already know a few guys that smoke an occasional cigar. Cigars vs. pipe? Anyone know?
My dad smoked a pipe and I bought him a humidor for his pipe tobacco, it smelled so good.

I know someone that smokes a pipe and he doesn't believe me that it won't bother me. There is so much difference between cigarette and pipe smoke.
Andre
Nov17-06, 10:16 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,458

in that case I would advise chocolate with sigar taste.

Register to reply