Register to reply

Curious Inequality

by MathNerd
Tags: curious, inequality
Share this thread:
MathNerd
Feb19-04, 10:38 AM
P: n/a
I know that this isnít very practical but I discovered the following curious inequality when I was playing around with [tex]d(n)[/tex] where [tex]d(n)[/tex] gives the number of divisors of [tex]n \ \epsilon \ N[/tex]. If [tex]n[/tex] has [tex]p[/tex] prime factors (doesnít have to be distinct prime factors e.g. [tex]12 = 2^2 \ 3 [/tex] has got three prime factors (2,2,3)), Then

[tex] p + 1 \leq d(n) \leq \sum_{k=0}^{p} _{p} C_{k} [/tex]

I donít know if this has been previously discovered but giving its simplicity it wouldnít surprise me if it has.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
matt grime
Feb19-04, 10:52 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,396
Originally posted by MathNerd
I know that this isnít very practical but I discovered the following curious inequality when I was playing around with [tex]d(n)[/tex] where [tex]d(n)[/tex] gives the number of divisors of [tex]n \ \epsilon \ N[/tex]. If [tex]n[/tex] has [tex]p[/tex] prime factors (doesnít have to be distinct prime factors e.g. [tex]12 = 2^2 \ 3 [/tex] has got three prime factors (2,2,3)), Then

[tex] d(n) \leq \sum_{k=0}^{p} _{p} C_{k} [/tex]

I donít know if this has been previously discovered but giving its simplicity it wouldnít surprise me if it has.
the sum you wrote down is just 2^p btw. and isn't that result rather obvious? I mean p distinct primes gives you 2^p divisors, so repeated primes naturally gives you fewer.

Register to reply