For ## n>1 ##, show that every prime divisor of ## n+1 ## is an odd integer

In summary, Euclid's proof that there is no limit to the number of primes relies on the fact that if p divides both n! and n!+1, then p does not divide 1.
Math100
Homework Statement
For ## n>1 ##, show that every prime divisor of ## n!+1 ## is an odd integer that is greater than ## n ##.
Relevant Equations
None.
Proof:

Suppose for the sake of contradiction that there exists a prime divisor of ## n!+1 ##,
which is an odd integer that is not greater than ## n ##.
Let ## n>1 ## be an integer.
Since ## n! ## is even,
it follows that ## n!+1 ## is odd.
Thus ## 2\nmid (n!+1) ##.
This means every prime factor of ## n!+1 ## is an odd integer.
Let ## p ## be a prime factor of ## n!+1 ## such that ## p\leq n ##.
Then we have ## p\mid n! ## and ## p\mid (n!+1) ##.
Thus ## p\mid 1 ##, which implies that ## p=\pm 1 ##.
This is a contradiction because ## p ## must be a prime number where ## p\neq \pm 1 ##, so ## p\nleq n ##.
Therefore, for ## n>1 ##, every prime divisor of ## n!+1 ## is an odd integer that is greater than ## n ##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right, but a bit laboured.

Likes Math100
PeroK said:
Looks right, but a bit laboured.
What do you mean by 'laboured'? I do not understand this.

Math100 said:
What do you mean by 'laboured'? I do not understand this.
This, for example:

Math100 said:
Since ## n! ## is even,
it follows that ## n!+1 ## is odd.
Thus ## 2\nmid (n!+1) ##.
This means every prime factor of ## n!+1 ## is an odd integer.
Could simply be replaced by this:

Math100 said:
Since ## n! ## is even, every prime factor of ## n!+1 ## is odd.

Likes Math100
I guess I wrote too many words.

Math100 said:
The problem will come when you get more difficult proofs. Too much detail will make such proofs unreadable.
You have some good ideas that are not easy to see, but then you take 3-4 lines to convince us that an odd number is not even!

Likes Math100
Math100 said:
In some places, but you have not written any words to justify the key statement of the proof:

Math100 said:
Let ## p ## be a prime factor of ## n!+1 ## such that ## p\leq n ##.
Then we have ## p\mid n!##
Why?

Likes Mark44
SPOILER ALERT!if 1<p ≤ n, then p divides n!, so the remainder after dividing (n!+1) by p is 1. Hence p does not divide n!+1.

This is the key observation in Euclid's original proof that there is no limit to the number of primes. I admit I myself found it mysterious when I first saw it. I just didn't realize that if p divided both n! and n!+1 then p would divide 1. This is the famous and useful (and trivial) "3 term principle".

mathwonk said:
This is the famous and useful (and trivial) "3 term principle".
Yes but the exercise is to prove it. I don't see how you can do that without something like "from the definition of the factorial, every p not greater than n divides n!".

the 3 term principle says that if p divides both a and b, and a+b = c, then p divides c. or also if p divides any 2 of the 3 terms, a,b,c, then it divides the third. this is a pretty easy exercise.

"from the definition of the factorial, every p not greater than n divides n!".

forgive me, this is so obvious as to not seem to be needed to be mentioned. but you are right, this is a key step. i just assumed someone using the notation n! knows what it means. or rather, when outlining a short "proof" i tend to omit steps which i think have been rendered so obvious as to suggest themselves to the reader.

In this example of course, if the reader is someone who does not notice that n! is divisible by every integer between 1 and n, then your explanation is more appropriate than mine. of course you are right, the clearest explanation is always one that gives all the steps.
cheers!

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for a number to be a "prime divisor"?

A prime divisor of a number is a prime number that evenly divides into that number. In other words, it is a prime number that is a factor of the original number.

2. Why does the statement specify that ## n>1 ##?

This is because if ## n=1 ##, then ## n+1=2 ##, which is a prime number. In this case, the statement would not hold true as 2 is an even integer and not an odd integer.

3. How can you prove that every prime divisor of ## n+1 ## is an odd integer?

We can prove this by contradiction. Assume that there exists a prime divisor of ## n+1 ## that is an even integer. This would mean that ## n+1 ## is divisible by an even prime number, which is not possible as the only even prime number is 2 and we have already established that ## n+1 ## cannot be divisible by 2.

4. Can you give an example to illustrate this statement?

Yes, for example, let ## n=5 ##. Then ## n+1=6 ##. The prime divisors of 6 are 2 and 3, both of which are odd integers.

5. How does this statement relate to the concept of prime numbers?

This statement is related to the concept of prime numbers because it states that every prime divisor of ## n+1 ## must also be a prime number. This reinforces the idea that prime numbers are the building blocks of all other numbers and cannot be divided by any other number except for 1 and itself.