Problems with parametrization

In summary: I would expect the intersection of z2= x2+ y2 and z= x+ y to be a circle in the x,y plane with center (1/2, 1/2, 0) and radius √(1/2). So, again, let t= θ and the parametrization is x= (1/√(2))(cos(t)+ 1/2) y= (1/√(2))(sin(t)+ 1/2) z= (1/√(2))(cos(t)+ sin(t)+ 1).In summary, the conversation discusses the process of parametrization and how to find param
LostInSpace
Hi all! I'm having some problems with parametrization. I read somewhere that you should locate circles, ellipses, hyperboloides, paraboloides etc and use these elements to express a parametric function.

But someone must have figured out how to do it! The way I see it, there's nothing logical about
[tex]
x^2+y^2-z^2=1 \Leftrightarrow f(t,\varphi)=\left(\sqrt{t^2+1}\cos\varphi,\sqrt{t^2+1}\sin\varphi,t\right)
[/tex]

Yes, I understand that
[tex]
(\sqrt{t^2+1}\cos\varphi)^2 + (\sqrt{t^2+1}\sin\varphi)^2 - t^2 = 1
[/tex]
but how do you actually get to that conclusion (without plotting the function)?

Consider this problem (which may be simple):
Determine the intersecting curve (parametric function) between the surfaces [tex]z^2=x^2+y^2[/tex] and [tex]z=x+y[/tex]. How do you approach that?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what is meant by "you should locate circles, ellipses, hyperboloides, paraboloides etc and use these elements to express a parametric function." Certainly standard figures such as circles,ellipses, etc. (hyperboloids and paraboloids are surfaces, not curves) and have standard parameterizations but if your curve, surface, or function doesn't happen to be one, it doesn't help.

It does help to think about some "standard" parameterizations and perhaps try to adapt them.

First, you do understand that there exist an infinite number of different parameterizations for any curve, don't you?

If I were trying to find a parametrization for [tex]x^2+y^2-z^2=1 [/tex], then first thing I would notice is that [tex]x^2+y^2[/tex] and think [tex]sin^2(\theta)+cos^2(\theta)= 1[/tex] (or some people might think "circle!"- it's the same thing.) I see immediately that if I let x= cos(θ) and y= sin(θ), I will have x2+ y2= 1. Now I have to take care of that "-z2" term. It would be nice if I could just set it equal to 0 but I can't!. I might think: If instead I set x= R cos(θ), y= R sin(θ) (Yes, I confess: I wrote "R" instead of "A", for example, because I really thinking "circle"!). Now x2+y2= R2 and I have R2- z2= 1. Okay, how about if I take R2= 1+ z2? That is: set R= √(1+ z2)? It's not illegal to use z itself as a parameter but, since "t" is more common, let z= t and the parametrization becomes

x= √(1+t2)cos(θ)
y= √(1+t2)sin(θ)
z= t.

Finding the intersection of z2= x2+ y2 and z= x+ y is, in fact, relatively straightforward (in theory at least). Saying that (x,y,z) is on the intersection means that the same values for x,y,z satisfy both equations or that
z= x2+y2= x+ y.

The intersection of two surfaces (2 dimensional) is a curve (1 dimensional) so I would expect this to depend on a single variable.

One thing I could do is think of x2+y2= x+ y as a quadratic equation for x:x2- x+(y2- y)= 0 and use the quadratic formula to find x as a function of y. Use y itself as the parameter (or write y= t) so the solution is a parametric equation for x. We could use z= x+y to then get an equation for z. The only problem with that is that "+/-" in the quadratic formula.

Actually, you should be able to look at x2+ y2= x+ y and immediately think "circle!" (Your first sentence is making more and more sense, at least for these problems!). A standard way of rewriting an equation for a circle is to complete the square (remember way back when you first learned to do that?). Write this as
x2-x + y2- y= 0 and think "In order to make both x and y terms perfect squares, I have to add 1/4 to each term". That would of course, add 1/2 to the right:
x2-x+ 1/4 + y2- y+ 1/4= 1/2 or
(x- 1/2)2+ (y- 1/2)2= 1/2.

That's a circle (in the x,y plane) with center at (1/2, 1/2) and radius √(1/2). More importantly I see that if I set
x= cos(θ)+ 1/2 and y= sin(θ)+ 1/2, then
(x- 1/2)2+ (y- 1/2)2= cos2(θ)+sin2(θ)= 1.

To account for the "1/2" on the right side, just multiply each by 1/√(2):

x= (1/√(2))(cos(θ)+ 1/2)
y= (1/√(2))(sin(θ)+ 1/2) and
z= x+ y= (1/√(2)(cos(θ)+ sin(θ)+ 1).

Last edited by a moderator:

Parametrization can definitely be a challenging concept to grasp at first, but with some practice and understanding, it can become a useful tool in solving problems involving curves and surfaces. In response to your concerns, I would like to offer some clarification and tips on how to approach parametrization.

Firstly, it is important to understand that parametrization is not a one-size-fits-all solution. Different types of curves and surfaces may require different approaches to parametrization. For example, circles and ellipses can be easily parametrized using trigonometric functions, while hyperboloids and paraboloids may require more complex expressions.

In the case of the equation x^2+y^2-z^2=1, the key is to recognize the familiar form of a circle in the x-y plane, which can be expressed as x^2+y^2=r^2. This allows us to use the familiar parametric equations for a circle, x=r\cos\theta and y=r\sin\theta, and substitute in the expression for r, which in this case is \sqrt{t^2+1}. The z component is simply t, as it can take on any value along the z-axis. This approach may not be immediately apparent, but with practice and familiarity with different types of curves, it becomes easier to identify the appropriate parametric equations.

As for the intersecting curve problem, it is important to first visualize the two surfaces and understand how they intersect. In this case, the surfaces intersect along a line, meaning the resulting parametric function will be a straight line passing through the point of intersection. To find the parametric equations, we can set one variable (in this case, z) equal to the other (x+y) and solve for the remaining variables. This results in the parametric equations x=t and y=t. The z component is simply the expression we set equal to x+y, which is t.

In summary, parametrization may not always be a straightforward process, but with practice and understanding of different types of curves and surfaces, it becomes easier to identify appropriate parametric equations. It is also important to visualize the problem and understand how the curves or surfaces intersect in order to determine the appropriate approach. Hopefully these tips will help you in your future parametrization problems. Good luck!

1. What is parametrization?

Parametrization is the process of describing a system or phenomenon using a set of parameters, or variables, that can be measured or manipulated. It allows for a mathematical representation of the system, making it easier to analyze and understand.

2. What are some common problems with parametrization?

Some common problems with parametrization include choosing the wrong parameters, overfitting the data, and failing to account for all relevant variables. These can lead to inaccurate or misleading results.

3. How can incorrect parametrization affect the outcome of a study?

If the parameters chosen do not accurately represent the system or if important variables are left out, the results of a study may not be valid or applicable. This can lead to incorrect conclusions and potentially hinder further research progress.

4. Are there any methods for avoiding problems with parametrization?

Yes, there are several methods for avoiding problems with parametrization. These include thoroughly understanding the system being studied, carefully choosing parameters based on their relevance and measurability, and using statistical techniques to check for overfitting.

5. How can parametrization be useful in scientific research?

Parametrization is a valuable tool in scientific research as it allows for a quantitative understanding of complex systems. It can also help identify key variables and relationships within a system, leading to new insights and potential solutions to problems.