Partial derivatives/ total derivative

by zell99
Tags: derivative, derivatives or, partial
Share this thread:
zell99
Dec21-06, 10:53 AM
P: 13
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I've attactched an image of the question, I hope this is ok, if not let me know and I'll copy it out onto a post,

3. The attempt at a solution
I've done parts (a) and (b) using the total derivative of f ( http://mathworld.wolfram.com/TotalDerivative.html ) but I can't get started on the last part. I've tried differentiating the expressions found in (a) but it doesn't seem to lead anywhere.

A push in the right direction would be appreciated.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
untitled.JPG  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
HallsofIvy
Dec21-06, 11:04 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,344
You have the definitions. All I can say is "just do it"! You are asked to show that
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}= u\frac{\partial F}{\partial u}+ v\frac{\partial F}{\partial v}[/tex]
u= excos(y), v= exsin(y) and F(u,v)= f(x,y).

You will need to use the chain rule:
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial F}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/tex]
zell99
Dec21-06, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the reply: I've done parts (a) and (b) already, it's the third part I'm struggling with (I can't quite see how your post relates to this bit). I won't post my solutions for these bits unless thay would be helpful, since they are show that... questions.

zell99
Dec21-06, 06:26 PM
Partial derivatives/ total derivative

Just to clarify since my use of 'last part' wasn't particularly precise, it's part (c) I'm struggling with.
Thank you
zell99
Dec22-06, 08:31 AM
Solved it.

Register to reply