Polar Partial Derivatives - Boas Ch 4 Sect 1 Prob 13

In summary: The two solutions are different because the first one factors ##x^2## out of the equation and the second one doesn't. This results in a different derivative and in turn, a different answer.
rhdinah

Homework Statement

If ## z=x^2+2y^2 ##, find the following partial derivative:
[tex]\Big(\frac{∂z}{∂\theta}\Big)_x[/tex]

Homework Equations

## x=r cos(\theta), ~y=r sin(\theta),~r^2=x^2+y^2,~\theta=tan^{-1}\frac{y}{x} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been using Boas for self-study and been working on this problem for almost a week now and cannot get the expected answer. I'm persistent though and have decided to look outside my study area for some help. So if you can add some direction or pointers I'd appreciate it.

The first thing we need to do is to simplify the original equation since keeping ##x## constant means the ##x^2## term is a constant and will differentiate to 0 ... so ## z=2y^2 ##.
[tex]\frac{∂z}{∂\theta}=\frac{∂z}{∂y}\frac{∂y}{∂\theta}=4 r sin(\theta)*r cos(\theta)=4 r^2sin(\theta)cos(\theta)[/tex]
Now the expected answer is ##4 r^2 tan(\theta)## and the apparent only way to get to the expected answer from here is to divide by ##cos^2(\theta)## ... which is working backwards of course. I've done and redone this work from a number of approaches and have gotten the same answer. I just don't see where this ##tan## function is coming from.

One of my problems is that I don't know how to do the special case of partial derivatives on Wolfram|Alpha ... while writing standard partials is easy, setting the constraint on what stays constant is difficult to conjure. Plus the engine doesn't convert easily from polar to cartesian well. So if there are some hints there ... so far, I've not found them on my googling of the net.

I've had no problems with any other of the partials, plus all the exercises I've found on the Internet have been straight-forward. So I wonder what I'm doing wrong here. Her next problem 14, ##\Big(\frac{∂z}{∂\theta}\Big)_y##, goes down a similar path so knowing how to approach this problem will help with the next. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you! Okay, let's give it a go ... been thinking about this all day ... :-)

##z=x^2+2y^2=(x^2+y^2)+y^2=r^2+r^2sin^2(\theta)=r^2(1+sin^2(\theta))##

##\Big(\frac{∂z}{∂\theta}\Big)=\Big(\frac{∂}{∂\theta}\Big)r^2(1+sin^2(\theta))=2r^2sin(\theta)cos(\theta)=r^2sin(2\theta)##

Now by *not* collecting terms and dropping ##x^2## as before we get the ##4r^2sin(\theta)cos(\theta)=2r^2 sin(2\theta)## as before ... very confusing ... any other pointers please? Thanks!

Last edited:
rhdinah said:
Thank you! Okay, let's give it a go ... been think about this all day ... :-)

##z=x^2+2y^2=(x^2+y^2)+y^2=r^2+r^2sin^2(\theta)=r^2(1+sin^2(\theta))##

##\Big(\frac{∂z}{∂\theta}\Big)=\Big(\frac{∂}{∂\theta}\Big)r^2(1+sin^2(\theta))=2r^2sin(\theta)cos(\theta)=r^2sin(2\theta)##

Now by *not* collecting terms and dropping ##x^2## as before we get the ##4r^2sin(\theta)cos(\theta)=2r^2 sin(2\theta)## as before ... very confusing ... any other pointers please? Thanks!
I had also ##\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}z = 2xy## and not the factor ##4## as claimed. And even less the tangent of ##\theta##.

Thank you Mr. Fresh_42 for your help! I'm not sure where the ##x## in your solution would have come from as ##x## is supposed to be held constant in the differentiation. Perhaps as a side effect of the ##y## partial. I'm going to try to ask for help from Mary Boas's son as he is monitoring the book for errors and such. If I find some more information I'll post it here. I don't want to be held back so early in the chapter from a seemingly easy problem. We know it may be easy, but it is not trivial. Clearly there is something I'm not seeing here. I'm pretty sure it is not an error in her book as it would have been pointed out a long time ago. Thanks again.

Professor Boas was kind enough to give me some pointers on this:

$$z=x^2+2y^2=x^2+2(r^2-x^2)=x^2+2(x^2sec^2\theta-x^2)=x^2-2x^2+2x^2sec^2\theta=-x^2+2x^2sec^2\theta$$

$$\frac{d}{d\theta}(-x^2+2x^2sec^2\theta)=4x^2tan\theta sec^2\theta=4 \frac{x^2}{cos^2\theta}tan\theta=4r^2tan\theta\hspace{10 mm} \square$$

rhdinah said:
Professor Boas was kind enough to give me some pointers on this:

$$z=x^2+2y^2=x^2+2(r^2-x^2)=x^2+2(x^2sec^2\theta-x^2)=x^2-2x^2+2x^2sec^2\theta=-x^2+2x^2sec^2\theta$$

$$\frac{d}{d\theta}(-x^2+2x^2sec^2\theta)=4x^2tan\theta sec^2\theta=4 \frac{x^2}{cos^2\theta}tan\theta=4r^2tan\theta\hspace{10 mm} \square$$
Do you see the difference between the two solutions and why we got a different result?
In other words: What can be learned?

Likes rhdinah

1. What are polar partial derivatives?

Polar partial derivatives are a type of mathematical operation used to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to two variables, typically denoted as r and θ. These derivatives are used in polar coordinate systems, where a point is represented by an angle and a distance from the origin.

2. How do you calculate polar partial derivatives?

To calculate polar partial derivatives, you use the chain rule from calculus. First, you take the partial derivative of the function with respect to r while holding θ constant. Then, you take the partial derivative of the function with respect to θ while holding r constant. These two expressions are combined using the chain rule to find the polar partial derivatives.

3. What is the purpose of polar partial derivatives?

Polar partial derivatives are used to find the slope or rate of change of a function at a specific point in a polar coordinate system. They are also used in applications such as physics and engineering, where polar coordinates are often used to model circular or rotational motion.

4. Can polar partial derivatives be negative?

Yes, polar partial derivatives can be negative. The sign of a polar partial derivative depends on the direction of change in the function. If the function is decreasing as r or θ increases, the partial derivative will be negative. Similarly, if the function is increasing as r or θ increases, the partial derivative will be positive.

5. Are polar partial derivatives the same as ordinary partial derivatives?

No, polar partial derivatives and ordinary partial derivatives are not the same. Polar partial derivatives take into account the change in both r and θ, whereas ordinary partial derivatives only consider the change in one variable while holding the others constant. Additionally, the formulas for calculating these derivatives are different due to the use of polar coordinates in the former.