Cleaning Brazed Plate Heat Exchanger

by malkio
Tags: brazed, cleaning, exchanger, heat, plate
malkio
Jan5-07, 04:03 AM
P: 11
Is there a way to chemically clean this type of exchanger from graphite impurities (tiny particles) ? is possible to chemically remove coke,soot,graphite at all? we clean it with xylene but that doesn't help
tnx
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
Researchers propose network-based evaluation tool to assess relief operations feasibility
brewnog
Jan5-07, 06:49 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,793
Interesting question.

I've known organic solvents to be pretty good at cleaning brazed plate heat exchangers in combustion engine intercoolers before; recirculated fumes from the crankcase breather system can leave some pretty nasty carbon based deposits on the plates causing a reduction in efficiency.

However, I'm surprised to hear that xylene isn't effective. Let me know if you do find anything...
Averagesupernova
Jan7-07, 03:52 PM
P: 2,450
Take the simple approach and try vinegar.

chemisttree
Jan11-07, 02:54 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725

Cleaning Brazed Plate Heat Exchanger

Try a hot solution of sodium hydroxide in water if the material will hold up to it. A surfactant will help. Try dodecylbenzenesulfonate or Tide (about 1 to 2 %). Adding a little (5% by volume) of ethylene glycol monobutyl ether (DOW EB, active ingredient in Windex) and a percent of sodium metasilicate will have huge results. It will take time unless you have an ultrasonicator you can put the heat exchanger into. It will only take about 1/2 hour with heat, all of the above chemistry and the sonicator.

Remember that EB is flammable, so ventilation is required. Good luck!

Register to reply