Is This Simplification of a Complex Fraction Correct?

• Thread starter Isolex
  • Start date
In summary, a user is seeking help with a math problem involving the equation .5x² + 50x - 280000 = 0. Another user provides guidance to use the Binomial Theorem to solve the problem. The user also provides a simplified form of the equation using various algebraic steps. Another user reminds not to post complete solutions in the homework forums and to provide hints instead.
Isolex
It looks like this:

1 1
__ - _
1-t t
_________
1 1
__ - _
1+t t

Sorry if that looks strange. =/

I got it down to this:

2t-1
______
t(1-t)

I have no idea if that's right though, and I don't know where to go from there.

I'm really sorry if this is off topic.

It's a friend of mine who needs the help, and I have no idea what type of math this is, so I thought some great mind here could help her out. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm also having problems with a word problem. I think I set it up right... but I'm not getting to a solution that can be worked out. x_x At least. This doesn't look easily solvable:
.5x² + 50x - 280000 = 0

I'll try it a different way...

Isolex said:
I'm also having problems with a word problem. I think I set it up right... but I'm not getting to a solution that can be worked out. x_x At least. This doesn't look easily solvable:
.5x² + 50x - 280000 = 0

I'll try it a different way...

Thread moved from Physics to Math. Isolex, use the Binomial Theorm to solve this. Look it up at wikipedia.org if you don't have it in your textbook for some reason.

And the math in your first post is hard to follow with the way you've laid it out. Can you maybe re-try and just put each equation on one line and use parenthesis to show the groupings? (Better yet would be to use LaTex as described in the Tutorials forum, but we can leave that for later...)

Okay,

We solved the word problem, thanks to you!

We're going to try to make a picture for the other one.

eewmathproblem.jpg

Er. That didn't work. Lol.

But yeah, there's the problem. :D

http://www.img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/Azari/eewmathproblem.jpg

Sorry, I'm just playing around and figuring this out. Heh.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's right so far.

But what is it supposed to equal? Otherwise you can't solve it.

But to simplify it further, use the fact that

[tex]\frac{\frac{a}{b}}{\frac{c}{d}} = \frac{ad}{bc}[/tex]

[tex] \frac {\frac {1}{1-t} - \frac {1}{t}}{\frac {1}{1+t} - \frac {1}{t}}[/tex].

Multiply the whole fraction by t/t, which is just one. One times anything is the same thing. Once we times it by t/t we get:

[tex]\frac{\frac{t}{1-t} -1}{\frac{t}{1+t}-1}}[/tex]

Times it all by (t+1)/(t+1), since that's just one again.

We get:
[tex]\frac{\frac{t(t+1)}{1-t} - (t+1)}{t-(t+1)}[/tex].

As you Can see, the bottom cancels out to 1.

We are left with
[tex]\frac{t(t+1)}{1-t} - (t+1)}[/tex]

Multiply the 2nd part, -(t+1), by (1-t/(1-t), since that's just 1. Then put it all on one big fraction.

[tex]\frac{t(t+1) - (1-t)(t+1)}{1-t}[/tex]

Bring the (t+1) terms together, and we get our simplest form of the equation:

<< Last result deleted by berkeman >>

Hope that helps :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gib_Z, remember not to post complete solutions in the homework forums. Our job here (according to the PF rules that you agreed to) is to provide hints and guidance, not complete solutions.

I'm going to leave your post, however (except I deleted your final result). This is a simple enough problem and you did a nice job with LaTex, so it will probably help the OP in this case to learn how to work the problem. In the future, leave most of the final steps out -- just provide a framework that helps the OP to get going.

Last edited:
Sorry about that, I didn't actually read the rules..Ill make sure I adhere to them now. Thats for not deleting my post, the LaTex did take a while :) ty

What is the best way to approach a difficult math problem?

The best way to approach a difficult math problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. Start by identifying what the problem is asking for and then work backwards to figure out what information you need to solve it. Don't be afraid to use diagrams or draw out the problem to help visualize the solution.

How can I find someone to help me with a math problem?

If you are struggling with a math problem, there are several resources you can turn to for help. You can ask a classmate or friend who is proficient in math, seek assistance from a tutor or academic support center, or even reach out to your teacher or professor for additional guidance.

What should I do if I am still having trouble with a math problem after seeking help?

If you are still having trouble with a math problem after seeking help, try approaching it from a different angle. Sometimes a fresh perspective or alternative method can help you better understand the problem. You can also try looking for similar examples or practice problems to help reinforce the concept.

How can I improve my math problem-solving skills?

Improving your math problem-solving skills takes practice and patience. Start by reviewing basic concepts and techniques, and then gradually work your way up to more complex problems. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or participate in online forums to discuss and solve math problems together.

Is it okay to ask for help with a math problem?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help with a math problem. In fact, seeking help is often the best way to learn and improve your understanding of a concept. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek assistance when needed. Remember, even the most skilled mathematicians need help sometimes!