Register to reply

Highest RPM?

by fedorfan
Tags: None
Share this thread:
fedorfan
Jan21-07, 04:30 PM
P: 113
Does anyone know what the highest rpm in the universe is?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Bubbling down: Discovery suggests surprising uses for common bubbles
New non-metallic metamaterial enables team to 'compress' and contain light
Ki Man
Jan21-07, 05:55 PM
P: 555
RPM? are you talking about tires or computers or what

if its speed related dont doubt the power of c
Crosson
Jan21-07, 10:38 PM
P: 1,295
Does anyone know what the highest rpm in the universe is?
No, but John Wheeler would jokingly discuss the maximum upper limit on horsepower (about 10^64), an engine with which would instantly rip itself into a black hole .

fedorfan
Jan22-07, 06:28 PM
Highest RPM?

My best guess would be a turbocharger at like 180,000 rpm. I guess the universal speed limit would be the speed of light. Also, Im talking about whatever is rotating the fastest. Not pkanets or something though, I mean revolutions per minute, not year.
Crosson
Jan23-07, 12:18 AM
P: 1,295
Quote Quote by fedorfan View Post
My best guess would be a turbocharger at like 180,000 rpm.
This illustrates the problem with the question, because RPM on its own has no limit (as the revolving system decreases in radius). Using a radius about one meter, the speed of light limits us to an RPM of about 18 billion, so that is a safe upper limit.
Danger
Jan23-07, 04:34 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
My semi-educated guess is that the fastest that anyone will ever likely run across in reality would be a black hole. Since the angular momentum of the remains of the original star is conserved, those suckers can spin.
fedorfan
Jan23-07, 08:25 PM
Yeah danger, thats probably a very close guess, although I suspect a microscopic black would be even faster.
fedorfan
Jan27-07, 07:57 PM
Noone else knows anything?
spartinf
Apr6-07, 11:24 AM
P: 1
I'd say it is the flagellum at up to 17,000 rpm....if you look at a figure of it you'll be pretty amazed at it's complexity and sophistication
tehno
Apr6-07, 11:30 AM
P: 363
Quote Quote by fedorfan View Post
My best guess would be a turbocharger at like 180,000 rpm. I guess the universal speed limit would be the speed of light. Also, Im talking about whatever is rotating the fastest. Not pkanets or something though, I mean revolutions per minute, not year.
Electrons around nuclei in atoms good enough candidates?
Danger
Apr6-07, 08:20 PM
PF Gold
To start with, that would be revolving, not rotating... but it doesn't count anyhow. As for the electron spin component, it isn't really spin. I think that you pretty much have to stick with macroscopic phenomena.
drboylecj
Aug10-09, 11:27 PM
P: 1
http://www.popsci.com/gear-amp-gadge...est-motor-ever

apparently the highest RPM device in existence?
Danger
Aug11-09, 12:25 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by drboylecj View Post

Holy ****ing sheepgarbage! 104,000 rpms? Jeez, I thought that those 30,000 rpm satellite stabilization motors were fast. This is just outrageous.
Still, though, for non-man-made objects my money is on the black hole.
turin
Aug11-09, 12:40 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,327
How could one convince one's self that Dyson's little motor is running at such a high rpm? Even with an oscope, how would one know that the oscope isn't simply picking up "fake" electronic signals from the control circuit? I don't believe that I can hear such a high pitch. Maybe some angular momentum test?
Superstring
Aug11-09, 01:26 AM
P: 119
The maximum RPM in the universe is dependent on the radius of the spinning object.

The formula for calculating velocity of the outer edge of the "wheel" using RPM is:

[tex]\upsilon=C*RPM[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]RPM=\frac{\upsilon}{C}[/tex]

Plugging the speed of light in for velocity (and making it an inequality to show that it has to be less than c):

[tex]RPM<\frac{c}{C}[/tex]

So the maximum RPM of an object is the speed of light divided by the object's circumference. That means the smaller the object, the faster it can spin.
Danger
Aug11-09, 02:02 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Superstring View Post
So the maximum RPM of an object is the speed of light divided by the object's circumference. That means the smaller the object, the faster it can spin.
Which brings us back to black holes...
diazona
Aug11-09, 03:02 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,155
Quote Quote by Superstring View Post
The maximum RPM in the universe is dependent on the radius of the spinning object.

The formula for calculating velocity of the outer edge of the "wheel" using RPM is:

[tex]\upsilon=C*RPM[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]RPM=\frac{\upsilon}{C}[/tex]

Plugging the speed of light in for velocity (and making it an inequality to show that it has to be less than c):

[tex]RPM<\frac{c}{C}[/tex]

Well, actually
[tex]\omega < \frac{c}{r}[/tex]
and convert to revolutions per minute. (RPM is a unit, it sows confusion to try to use it as a variable)

I got
[tex]\omega < \frac{2.86\times 10^9\,\mathrm{m}}{r}\cdot\frac{\mathrm{rev}}{\mathrm{min}}[/tex]
so... for something with radius equal to the Planck length, [itex]1.77\times 10^{44}[/itex] revolutions per minute? (If such a thing could exist, of course)
_HL4E_HalfLife_
Aug12-09, 06:53 PM
P: 5
Quote Quote by drboylecj View Post

WRONG!

1 Million would be the fastest.

http://gizmodo.com/5087710/matchbook...ion-rpm-record

Register to reply