Register to reply

Fill in the blank ...

by gnome
Tags: blank
Share this thread:
Feb7-07, 08:32 AM
P: 1,046
_____ is to addition as factorize is to multiplication.

Is there a word for this?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
Feb7-07, 08:59 AM
P: 224
addendize? summandize? mm, decompose?
Feb7-07, 10:08 AM
P: 1,046
No, i think decompose means the same as factorize, i.e. multiplication, as in matrix decomposition.

But I think I just found my answer further down the page in the the "number partition" thread. I guess the word I'm looking for is "partition."

Wikipedia agrees:
"In number theory, a partition of a positive integer n is a way of writing n as a sum of positive integers."

Feb7-07, 01:50 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,808
Fill in the blank ...

It seems that one can use either sum or summate. I looked in the dictionary.
Feb7-07, 06:32 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 3,682
Gnome, I agree that 'partition' is used -- it's just about the only term I've read for that.

Register to reply

Related Discussions
Hit a Blank Differential Equations 2
*Blank* is like... General Discussion 19
Fill in the blank help Calculus & Beyond Homework 1
Fill in the blank competition thread. General Discussion 16