Convert Centrifuge Angular Speed/Deceleration to Rev/s2 and Revs

• Thread starter MJC8719
  • Start date
In summary, a centrifuge in a medical laboratory, with an initial angular speed of 3170 rpm, rotates with a constant angular deceleration for 16.7 s before coming to rest. The magnitude of its angular deceleration is approximately 19.8779 radians/s^2, and it completes approximately 2771.877 revolutions after being turned off.
MJC8719
A centrifuge is a common laboratory instrument that separates components of differing densities in solution. This is accomplished by spinning a sample around in a circle with a large angular speed. Suppose that after a centrifuge in a medical laboratory is turned off it continues to rotate with a constant angular deceleration for 16.7 s before coming to rest.

(a) If its initial angular speed was 3170 rpm, what is the magnitude of its angular deceleration?
rev/s2

(b) How many revolutions did the centrifuge complete after being turned off?
rev

I believe I have found the answer in radians/s^2 and radians and was wondering how to convert them to rev/s^2 and revs.

Below is my work:

(a) 3170 x 2pi/60 x 1/16.7 = -19.8779 radians/s^2

(b) (1/2)(3170 x 2pi/60) x 16.7 = 2771.877 radians

Physics news on Phys.org
There are 2pi radians in one revolution. This should be all you need to convert.

Also, note that part (a) calls for the magnitude of the angular acceleration; thus, a sign (+ or -) is not needed.

To convert from radians to revolutions, we can use the conversion factor of 1 revolution = 2pi radians. Therefore, the answer for (b) in revolutions would be 2771.877/2pi = 441.991 rev.

To convert from radians/s^2 to rev/s^2, we can use the conversion factor of 1 revolution = 2pi radians and 1 second = 1/60 minutes. Therefore, the answer for (a) in rev/s^2 would be -19.8779 x 2pi x 60 = -2375.47 rev/s^2.

1. What is the formula for converting centrifuge angular speed to rev/s2?

The formula for converting centrifuge angular speed to rev/s2 is rev/s2 = angular speed (rad/s) / 2π. This formula takes into account the fact that one revolution is equal to 2π radians.

2. How do I calculate the deceleration in rev/s2?

To calculate the deceleration in rev/s2, you can use the formula deceleration (rev/s2) = final angular speed (rad/s) - initial angular speed (rad/s) / time (s). This formula takes into account the change in angular speed over a specific time period.

3. Can I convert rev/s2 to angular acceleration?

Yes, you can convert rev/s2 to angular acceleration by multiplying the rev/s2 value by 2π. This will give you the angular acceleration in radians per second squared (rad/s2).

4. What is the relationship between rev/s2 and revolutions per minute (RPM)?

The relationship between rev/s2 and RPM is that 1 rev/s2 is equal to 60 RPM. This means that if you know the rev/s2 value, you can easily convert it to RPM by multiplying it by 60.

5. How do I convert rev/s2 to revolutions per hour (RPH)?

To convert rev/s2 to RPH, you can use the formula RPH = (rev/s2 * 3600) / 2π. This formula takes into account the fact that there are 3600 seconds in an hour and one revolution is equal to 2π radians.