Tags: contest, photo, silhouette, vote
Share this thread:
ZapperZ
Sep15-07, 07:37 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
For a contest that started out rather slow, this has turned into a terrific one. There are some amazing pictures in this contest, so it may be a difficult and close voting.

Please choose a picture that best represents our theme, which is a picture that has a silhouette of an object/person/s.

1. turbo-1

2. ZapperZ

3. Janus

4. neutrino

5. matthyaouw

6. detta

7. FredGarvin

8. alex_caps

Contest thread

Zz.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
Evo
Sep15-07, 05:23 PM
Mentor
P: 26,412
This is REALLY hard, but I have to go with Zz. The picture just has an Art Deco appeal to it.
rewebster
Sep15-07, 06:16 PM
P: 880
4. neutrino

naturalistic, aesthetic, contemplative, simple but complex areas, good composition, interesting internal to edge structure and division of spaces--good, I like it

turbo
Sep15-07, 06:18 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
VOTE PF Photo Contest - Silhouette

Had to go with neutrino. He nailed this one. Wonderful subject and composition. Nice implementation of the new camera, buddy!
Evo
Sep15-07, 07:16 PM
Mentor
Hmmmm, turbo and matthyaouw were tied for a close second for me. Turbo's was classic, and matthyaouw's keen eye caught a great picture. I do like neutrino's also for the starkness, I just wish the bird beak wasn't blurred, that ruined it for me, I would have loved the overall picture to be a bit crisper and more in focus. alex_caps is also very nice. Heck, they're all great in one way or another.
rewebster
Sep15-07, 07:49 PM
I kind of like the blurred bleak--it makes the photo 'move' / show movement to just a small degree. I can't remember the name of the photographer, but somewhere in that 1960's to 1980's period there was a artist that become fairly well known for having a 'blurring' effect to part of the photo. Funny to think about but that 'straight on' /profile period of Picasso was from a photographer that did a 'time' shot of a woman showing both slightly blurring where her face 'overlapped' perfectly.

----------------------

I like the bottom bird's 'bottom' edge/belly and how it mimics the brach's curve that it's standing on.
Math Is Hard
Sep15-07, 07:52 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,923
neutrino's picture would make a really cool mural. I love the background color.
Kurdt
Sep15-07, 08:05 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,983
I voted for Janus' but everytime i look at it, it seems more sinister

Perhaps its just me
Evo
Sep15-07, 08:53 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by rewebster View Post
I kind of like the blurred bleak--it makes the photo 'move' / show movement to just a small degree. I can't remember the name of the photographer, but somewhere in that 1960's to 1980's period there was a artist that become fairly well known for having a 'blurring' effect to part of the photo. Funny to think about but that 'straight on' /profile period of Picasso was from a photographer that did a 'time' shot of a woman showing both slightly blurring where her face 'overlapped' perfectly.

----------------------

I like the bottom bird's 'bottom' edge/belly and how it mimics the brach's curve that it's standing on.
My first husband was a photographer, and I had learning how to focus the Nikon he bought me beaten into my head so I'm a bit predjudiced. I still have nightmares about f-stops. He did our wedding pictures and forgot that he'd been doing infrared photography. I think I have the only infrared wedding pictures.
rewebster
Sep15-07, 09:16 PM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
My first husband was a photographer, and I had learning how to focus the Nikon he bought me beaten into my head so I'm a bit predjudiced. I still have nightmares about f-stops. He did our wedding pictures and forgot that he'd been doing infrared photography. I think I have the only infrared wedding pictures.
so, is there a joke in there?---'I bet "they looked HOT"'
neutrino
Sep16-07, 02:36 AM
P: 2,047
4. neutrino

naturalistic, aesthetic, contemplative, simple but complex areas, good composition, interesting internal to edge structure and division of spaces--good, I like it

Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
Had to go with neutrino. He nailed this one. Wonderful subject and composition. Nice implementation of the new camera, buddy!
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I do like neutrino's also for the starkness, I just wish the bird beak wasn't blurred, that ruined it for me, I would have loved the overall picture to be a bit crisper and more in focus. alex_caps is also very nice. Heck, they're all great in one way or another.

----------------------

Thank you all for the C&C. It was, in a way, a "random" shot. I hoped to achieve better focus the second time, but while I was busy previewing the image on the LCD, the crows flew away.
Huckleberry
Sep16-07, 03:17 AM
P: 606
This was a tough one. I had a really hard time deciding between Janus, neutrino and alex_caps. In the end I decided to go with neutrino's picture because it is simple and elegant and based entirely on the theme of the contest.

I have a soft spot for Janus' photo. That's touching.
rewebster
Sep16-07, 07:20 AM
Quote Quote by neutrino View Post

Thank you all for the C&C. It was, in a way, a "random" shot. I hoped to achieve better focus the second time, but while I was busy previewing the image on the LCD, the crows flew away.
ahhh--nothing is random (according to Einstein)

-------------------

turbo--I like 'different' cloud shots--I've seen that ripple effect in clouds, but have never seen it at three different vectors/angles before--one many times, twice once in a while, but never three
matthyaouw
Sep17-07, 06:36 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,216
FredGarvin gets my vote. There's just something really serene and relaxed about it...
FredGarvin
Sep17-07, 06:53 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
Quote Quote by matthyaouw View Post
FredGarvin gets my vote. There's just something really serene and relaxed about it...
Fishing with my BIL is anything but relaxing (jk) but it is heaven on earth up there.

I had to give Neutrino the nod. That picture reminds of a Shoji screen. Very cool picture.
ZapperZ
Sep18-07, 09:17 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
You have less than 2 days left to vote in this contest.

Zz.

Register to reply