Unravelling the Mystery of "Electric Fog"

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, there have been numerous reports of an alleged phenomenon known as the "electric fog" in the Bermuda Triangle. These reports share a common thread of a cloud or fog with electric and/or magnetic effects, but no lightning. One such report from 1904 describes a British steamer, the Mohican, being enveloped in a metallic vapor with a magnetic effect on the vessel. In a similar account in 1966, a tugboat captain experienced electrical failures and a dense fog with boiling seas. The cause of these phenomena is unclear, but theories suggest a release of frozen CO2 or a volcanic/seismic event on the sea bottom. The occurrence of St. Elmo's Fire in these reports also raises questions about the role of
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There are a number of similar reports that I've seen about an alleged phenomenon that has been called an "electric fog". One episode is described by a pilot, and another by a tug boat captain, both in the so called Bermuda Triangle. I will dig those up later.

I don't mean to say that even if accurate, all reports necessarily describe the same phenomenon, but there is definitely a common thread to the reports in that a "cloud" or "fog" is said to have electric and/or magnetic effects on the environment in some fashion, while void of lightning.

Here is an interesting report from the British steamer, the Mohican, which is allegedly taken from the original news report, from 1904. The same report can be found elsewhere.

... For that length of time the vessel was enshrouded in a strange metallic vapor, which glowed like phosphorus. The entire vessel looked as if it were afire and the sailors flitted about the deck like glowing phantoms. The cloud had a strange magnetic effect on the vessel, for the needle of the compass revolved with the speed of an electric motor and the sailors were unable to raise pieces of steel from the magnetized decks. Captain Urquhart described the thrilling experience and his story is vouched for by every man of the crew.

"It was shortly after the sun had gone,” he said, "and we were in latitude 37 degrees 16 minutes and longitude 72 degrees 48 minutes. The sea was almost as level as a parlor carpet and scarcely a breeze ruffled the water. It was slowly growing dark when the lookout saw a strange gray cloud in the southeast. At first it appeared as a speck on the horizon, but it rapidly came nearer and was soon as large as [a] balloon.” [continued]
http://www.waterufo.net/item.php?id=30

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is one account that I mentioned. There is another account similar to the other one mentioned above, right above this one at the link.

In 1966, a tugboat captain, Don Henry was on his way from Puerto Rico to Fort Lauderdale on a clear afternoon. Suddenly the compasses on his tug began to spin wildly as a strange darkness descended on them and the horizon couldn’t be seen. Water was coming in all directions, and their electrical power failed completely. A dense fog covered their tug. Luckily, their engine kept going and they moved out of the fog. Looking back, the fog was densely concentrated in a solid block, "a bank." Inside this area, the sea was boiling. Outside this area, the sea was calm.[continued]
http://books.google.com/books?id=Mf7ujOGDzZ8C&pg=PA63&lpg=PA63&dq=%22don+henry%22+tug&source=web&ots=eB0q2L-IEf&sig=t1sfGNXT-rVNiY7pq-v4-kloAdY#PPA63,M1

The bit about the engine still running without electrical power would make sense if it was a diesel engine, which one would expect.

Last edited:
The boiling sea in the latter report suggests the fog was gas coming up from the sea bottom and that some event down there was responsible for the magnetic effects.

Yes, I should have said that along with a strange fog, electrical failures were reported.

The only thing i have any knowledge of that can make the sea boil is a release of
frozen co2, clathrate, can CO2 hold an electric/magnetic field.

wolram said:
The only thing i have any knowledge of that can make the sea boil is a release of
frozen co2, clathrate, can CO2 hold an electric/magnetic field.

My suspicion, in the case of the second report, was that a vulcanic/seismic event on the sea bottom was both releasing gas and causing a large magnetic disturbance. I doubt the "fog", itself, was responsible for the electromagnetic effects.

In the first report the fog, itself, seemed to be glowing. Of course that brings the phenomenon of St. Elmo's Fire to mind, but St. Elmo's Fire is associated with common electrical storms and I think the charge is assumed to come from the voltage difference between clouds and the ship since the "Fire" is most concentrated on pointy things; the ends of spars, etc, in a normal electrostatic fashion. A gas that glows like phosphorous enveloping the whole ship is probably not straightforward St. Elmo's Fire.

The report says some thing about the compass rotating, would that not rule out a static electrical charge?

wolram said:
The report says some thing about the compass rotating, would that not rule out a static electrical charge?
As Maxwell observed, a changing electric field always gives rise to a magnetic field. So, while in the process of charging or discharging any "static" electric field is actually radiating electro-magnetic energy. A capacitor radiates a magnetic wave while charging or discharging, for example. The "glow" of St. Elmo's Fire represents a discharge of static electricity from the ship into the atmosphere, so, it wouldn't surprise me to find the ship's compass affected in cases where a ship seems to be experiencing an unusual amount of static electric buildup as when St. Elmo's Fire is present.

The Sun Kings: The Unexpected Tragedy of Richard Carrington and the Tale of How Modern Astronomy Began
Stuart Clark

First chapter relates the 1859 Coronal Mass Ejection events when the telegraph was the limits of our invovment with electricity. December 5 2003 we missed being hit by a similar solar storm. Ships at sea relate accounts of St. Elmo's fire. https://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0691126607/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-7832919-1007269#reader-link This let's you read a good bit about the 1859 event.

1. What is Electric Fog?

Electric Fog, also known as St. Elmo's Fire, is a natural phenomenon that occurs when a strong electric field is present in the atmosphere. It appears as a glowing discharge of electricity around pointed objects such as trees, ships, or aircrafts.

2. How does Electric Fog form?

Electric Fog forms when there is a large difference in electrical potential between the ground and the atmosphere. This can be caused by thunderstorms, volcanic eruptions, or even friction between air molecules. The electric field ionizes the air molecules, creating a glowing plasma discharge.

3. Is Electric Fog dangerous?

Electric Fog itself is not dangerous, as it is a natural occurrence and does not produce enough current to harm humans. However, it can be an indication of an impending thunderstorm or lightning strike, which can be dangerous.

4. How is Electric Fog studied by scientists?

Scientists use specialized equipment such as lightning detection networks and atmospheric sensors to study Electric Fog. They also conduct experiments in controlled environments to understand the physics behind its formation and behavior.

5. Can Electric Fog be harnessed as a source of energy?

While there have been some attempts to harness the energy of Electric Fog, it is not a reliable or efficient source of energy. The amount of energy produced is small and highly unpredictable, making it unsuitable for practical use.