Find Maximum Curvature of Line With Parametric Equations

In summary, the maximum curvature of the line with parametric equations x = 5cos(t) and y = 3sin(t) occurs at x = plus or minus 5. To find this, the curvature equation k = |v X a|/ v^3 is used, where v is the derivative of the position vector r, a is the derivative of v, and v is the norm of the velocity vector v. By finding the values of arctan(3/5), pi, zero, and pi/2, the maximum curvature is determined to be 5. Additionally, the integral of the square root of (25t^2 + 9) can be solved by using the change of variables t=
hotcommodity
I'm having trouble finding the point of the maximum curvature of the line with parametric equations of: x = 5cos(t), and y = 3sin(t).

I know the curvature "k" is given by the eq.:

k = |v X a|/ v^3

Where v is the derivative of the position vector r = <5cos(t), 3sin(t) > , a is the derivative of v, and "v" is the norm of the velocity vector v.

I know I first have to find x', x'', y', and y'' to get the vectors v and a, and find the norm of v and cube it.

After plugging in the values and taking the absolute value of the cross product above, I evaluated when the numerator of k' (the derivative of the curvature equation) is equal to zero. I came up with the values of arctan(3/5), pi, zero, and pi/2. The book says the the maximum curvature occurs at x = plus or minus 5. I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Edit: Additionally, is there any way to integrate the square root of " (25*t^2) + 9 " dt without using integration tables? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]k=\frac{\dot{x}\ddot{y}-\dot{y}\ddot{x}}{(\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2)^{3/2}}= \frac{15}{(9+16\sin^2t)^{3/2}},[/tex]

and then the maximum is reached when [itex]9+16\sin^2t[/itex] is minimum, which is in [itex]0,\pi,2\pi[/itex]. This makes total sence, as your curve is actually an ellipse with major semiaxis in the horizontal line. Now, what is the value of [itex]x[/itex] in such points?To do the integral simply do the change of variables [itex]t=\frac{3}{5}\tan x[/itex] so

[tex]\int \sqrt{25 t^2+9}dt=\frac{9}{5}\int\sec^3 xdx[/tex]

and then itegrate by parts taking [itex]u=\sec x,\,dv=\sec^2 x dx[/itex].

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. Once you get the equation for "k", don't you need to differentiate to find minimums and maximums?

That is a way of going, which will give you the max and the min's (namely [itex]\pi/2,3\pi/2[/itex]). What I did is finding out where the denominator is smaller, which will give the max of the curvature (since the function [itex]1/x[/itex] is decreasing).

After a differentiating the curvature with respect to t, then equation reduces to sin(t)cos(t)= 0. Obviously that can only happen if cos(t)= 0 or sin(t)= 0. If you assume cos(t)= 0, then sin(t) is 1 or -1 and putting those into the formula for curvature makes the curvature 15/5= 3. If you assume sin(t)= 0, then cos(t) is 1 or -1 and putting those into the formula for curvature makes the curvature 15/3= 5. Since 5 is the larger of those, it is the maximum curvature (3 is the minimum curvature). sin(t)= 0, cos(t)= 1 or -1 gives x= 5 or -5.
(if you got that cos(t)= 0 and so x=0, y= 3 or -3, you may have accidently used |r| rather than |v| in the formula. I did the first time I did the calculation!)

1. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a way of representing mathematical curves or surfaces using one or more independent variables, typically denoted as t. They are commonly used in physics, engineering, and computer graphics to describe the motion of objects or geometric shapes.

2. How do you find the maximum curvature of a line with parametric equations?

To find the maximum curvature of a line with parametric equations, you can use the formula k = |(d^2r/dt^2) / (|dr/dt|^3)|, where r represents the position vector and t represents the independent variable. You can then evaluate this formula at different values of t to find the maximum curvature.

3. What does the maximum curvature of a line represent?

The maximum curvature of a line represents the point on the line where the rate of change of the direction of the tangent vector is highest. It can also be thought of as the point where the line bends or curves the most.

4. How does the maximum curvature affect the shape of a line?

The maximum curvature can affect the shape of a line by determining the tightness or sharpness of the curve. A higher maximum curvature value indicates a sharper curve, while a lower maximum curvature value indicates a gentler curve.

5. What factors can affect the maximum curvature of a line?

The maximum curvature of a line can be affected by the shape and orientation of the line, as well as the values of the independent variable t. It can also be influenced by any external forces or constraints acting on the line, such as friction or gravity.