The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
  • #1,891
wolram said:
Forgive me if this clue is not good.
it is a blood sucker, not, the middle sounds like dentistry, the last is hellish.
Ah, one of the three faces is the Mona Lisa. The other two faces are in a city in Italy. The city begins with a T. One is kept in a church. Its true origin is shrouded in mystery. :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,892
honestrosewater said:
Ah, one of the three faces is the Mona Lisa. The other two faces are in a city in Italy. The city begins with a T. One is kept in a church. Its true origin is shrouded in mystery. :wink:

The Turin Shroud, then...

• #1,893
brewnog said:
The Turin Shroud, then...
Right, so what is the third face that's kept in Turin and some people think was the model for both the Mona Lisa and the Shroud of Turin?

• #1,894
:uhh: It's a self-portrait.

• #1,895
Leonardo's self-portrait in Turin?

• #1,896
hitssquad said:
Leonardo's self-portrait in Turin?
Correct! Some people think Leonardo created the Shroud of Turin and used himself as the model for it, the Mona Lisa, and (uncontroversially) his self-portrait.

So you each got one of the faces. Um, maybe you each get a turn?

• #1,897
honestrosewaterwickedbutt said:
I fell asleep and must have dreamed that i solved all three.

• #1,898
wolram said:
I fell asleep and must have dreamed that i solved all three.
Hey, leave my butt out of this or I'll send the ram of wool after you. :grumpy: :buggrin:
You have a question going, what was it
it is a blood sucker, not, the middle sounds like dentistry, the last is hellish.
Hm, I have no idea.

• #1,899
Hypoxia and aspic?

• #1,900
Where are you HRWWB?

• #1,901
Clue me man!

• #1,902

• #1,903
Hypoxia and aspic?

• #1,904
I meant a new clue! I think I'm a bit out of the loop on this one.

• #1,905
Look in wiki for hypoxia, then find a link to aspic, then what is a blood sucker,
and the sounds like dentisry thing. then the hellish bit.

• #1,906
Well I know what hypoxia and aspic are, and I have a fair idea of a blood sucker. Then I get stuck.

• #1,907
brewnog said:
Well I know what hypoxia and aspic are, and I have a fair idea of a blood sucker. Then I get stuck.

A creature that needs very little oxygen.

Last edited:
  • #1,908
It is not jelly, but close.

• #1,909
A jellyfish? I have no idea.

• #1,910
brewnog said:
A jellyfish? I have no idea.

If i gave you fithty quids, i bet you would spend it on beer.

• #1,911
Gelatin?!

• #1,912
brewnog said:
Gelatin?!

No it is a creature, that needs little oxygen, has a jelly like structure, it even
has a defensive luminescent arsenal.

• #1,913
wolram said:
No it is a creature, that needs little oxygen, has a jelly like structure, it even
has a defensive luminescent arsenal.
On this clue, I'll guess sea anemone. But I'm not sure about the other clues yet...

• #1,914
I'm guessing squid. If it's right, somebody else go. I have to leave for work now. Won't be back until after midnight.

• #1,915
Danger said:
I'm guessing squid. If it's right, somebody else go. I have to leave for work now. Won't be back until after midnight.

It is a squid but a very special one, keep going.

• #1,916
Vampyroteuthis infernalis.

And I hear it has a wicked butt. :tongue2:

• #1,917
honestrosewater said:
Vampyroteuthis infernalis.

And I hear it has a wicked butt. :tongue2:

Right on babe, you are a one :devil:

• #1,918
wolram said:
Right on babe, you are a one :devil:
Well, your clue was the dog's bollocks. :rofl: Yeah, I don't really understand that expression. But on with the show...

This lone star ring was killed by the big C.

• #1,919
honestrosewater said:
Well, your clue was the dog's bollocks. :rofl: Yeah, I don't really understand that expression. But on with the show...

This lone star ring was killed by the big C.

HMMM, something about Texas? Rose, dogs bollocks are rough english slang
meaning the best.

• #1,920
wolram said:
HMMM, something about Texas?
Spot on.

Rose, dogs bollocks are rough english slang
meaning the best.
Yeah, what I don't understand is, well, have you ever seen a dog's bollocks? :confused:

• #1,921
honestrosewater said:
Spot on.

Yeah, what I don't understand is, well, have you ever seen a dog's bollocks? :confused:

:rofl: :rofl: Every day, benji loves to lay on the sofa, with legs splayed
apart.

• #1,922
Texas, famous for horses, music?

• #1,923
This was a very expensive ring.

• #1,924
Texas has gambling, so a massive win that broke the bank?

• #1,925
The new super-collider that Congress yanked the funding on?