Register to reply

Egg Launcher!

by dudestermikey
Tags: launcher
Share this thread:
dudestermikey
Oct4-07, 06:01 AM
P: 2
A bit early for a culminating.. but here we are at the much overused "Build an Egg Launcher" project. The idea is to use surgical tubing (2ft) to launch an egg the farthest possible (the egg can crack, it doesn't matter). The only force allowed in this is the elastic force of the surgical tubing (you can stretch it out before hand). There is a maximum weight of 2.5kg.

Right now, I'm thinking along the lines of a Roman Ballista, though perhaps if the weight exceeds 2.5kg, I'll move onto just a regular crossbow..

There is, of course, the over-done slingshot that I'll resort to when all else fails. I was also trying to wrap my mind around a way to use the surgical tubing with centrifugal (or centrifical; God knows) force -- that is, to somehow wrap it around a pole, and have it spinning out.

Any ideas? I'm not looking for formulas at this point.. but perhaps just names of things I could research, or some original launching ideas.

Thanks a lot.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
andrevdh
Oct4-07, 08:30 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,454
If the egg crack before it lands chances are that it will not travel as far as it would have if it did not. So I would suggest a gentle but long acceleration. That probably implies a long elastic.
dudestermikey
Oct4-07, 03:35 PM
P: 2
The maximum surgical tubing length is 2ft. Also, the distance is recorded by where the egg first lands, which is why it doesn't matter if it bounces and rolls further, or cracks.

Register to reply