Building an Egg Launcher: Get Creative with Surgical Tubing

In summary, the conversation discusses a project to build an egg launcher using surgical tubing. The goal is to launch an egg the farthest possible using only the elastic force of the tubing. There is a maximum weight limit of 2.5kg. Ideas such as a Roman Ballista, a crossbow, and a slingshot are mentioned. The possibility of using centrifugal force by spinning the tubing around a pole is also considered. The focus is on finding creative launching methods rather than specific formulas. It is suggested to use a gentle but long acceleration to prevent the egg from cracking before it lands. The maximum length of surgical tubing allowed is 2ft and the distance is measured from where the egg first lands.
dudestermikey
A bit early for a culminating.. but here we are at the much overused "Build an Egg Launcher" project. The idea is to use surgical tubing (2ft) to launch an egg the farthest possible (the egg can crack, it doesn't matter). The only force allowed in this is the elastic force of the surgical tubing (you can stretch it out before hand). There is a maximum weight of 2.5kg.

Right now, I'm thinking along the lines of a Roman Ballista, though perhaps if the weight exceeds 2.5kg, I'll move onto just a regular crossbow..

There is, of course, the over-done slingshot that I'll resort to when all else fails. I was also trying to wrap my mind around a way to use the surgical tubing with centrifugal (or centrifical; God knows) force -- that is, to somehow wrap it around a pole, and have it spinning out.

Any ideas? I'm not looking for formulas at this point.. but perhaps just names of things I could research, or some original launching ideas.

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the egg crack before it lands chances are that it will not travel as far as it would have if it did not. So I would suggest a gentle but long acceleration. That probably implies a long elastic.

The maximum surgical tubing length is 2ft. Also, the distance is recorded by where the egg first lands, which is why it doesn't matter if it bounces and rolls further, or cracks.

1. How does a surgical tubing egg launcher work?

A surgical tubing egg launcher works by using the tension and elasticity of the surgical tubing to propel an object, in this case an egg. The surgical tubing is attached to a base or frame, and the other end is attached to a launching arm. When the arm is pulled back, it stretches the surgical tubing, storing potential energy. When the arm is released, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, propelling the egg forward.

2. What materials do I need to build an egg launcher?

To build an egg launcher, you will need surgical tubing, a base or frame, a launching arm, a trigger mechanism, and a platform to hold the egg. You may also need additional materials such as screws, glue, and tools to assemble the launcher.

3. What safety precautions should I take when building and using an egg launcher?

When building and using an egg launcher, it is important to wear safety goggles to protect your eyes from any potential flying objects. Additionally, make sure to use a secure base or frame to prevent the launcher from tipping over. It is also important to never aim the launcher at people or animals.

4. How can I make my egg launcher more powerful?

To make your egg launcher more powerful, you can increase the tension of the surgical tubing by using thicker or longer tubing. You can also adjust the angle and length of the launching arm to increase the distance the egg will travel. Additionally, using a larger platform to hold the egg can also increase the power of the launch.

5. What are some creative ways to decorate an egg launcher?

There are many creative ways to decorate an egg launcher. You can paint the base or frame in fun colors or designs. You can also add stickers or decals to the launcher. Another idea is to use colorful duct tape to cover the surgical tubing. You can also incorporate other materials such as feathers, glitter, or googly eyes to give your egg launcher a unique and fun look.