Pascal's Principle Calculations

In summary, a hydraulic press uses a small piston with cross-sectional area "a" to exert a force "f" on enclosed liquid, connected to a larger piston with cross-sectional area "A". To find the force that the larger piston can sustain without moving, the formula F = f x (A/a) is used. In the given example with piston diameters of 3.80 cm and 53.0 cm, a force of 20.0 kN on the larger piston can be balanced by a force of 102.0 N on the small piston. It is important to note that the value of "f" is not needed in the first question, but is needed in the second question to solve for the force
Collegestudent5
A piston of cross-sectional area "a" is used in a hydraulic press to exert a small force of magnitude "f" on the enclosed liquid. A connecting pipe leads to a larger piston of cross-sectional area A. (a) what force magnitude F will the larger piston sustain without moving? (b) If the piston diameters are 3.80 cm and 53.0 cm, what force magnitude on the small piston will balance a 20.0 kN force on the large piston?

A picture of the figure can be found at
http://panda.unm.edu/Courses/Price/Phys160/F33-3.jpeg

I used the formula f/a = F/A for (a). the answer I found was F = f x 195. Am i supposed to leave f in my answer. If no, how do i solve for f.

I used the same formula for (b) and got 102.

Please help me double check my answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems to be correct. In the first Q, you just have to write fA/a, I think, because the values are given only in (b).

Thanks for the help.

What is Pascal's Principle?

Pascal's Principle, also known as the principle of transmission of fluid pressure, states that a change in pressure applied to an enclosed fluid is transmitted equally to all parts of the fluid and the walls of the container.

How does Pascal's Principle apply to real-world problems?

Pascal's Principle has many applications in various fields, such as hydraulic systems, hydraulic lifts, and brakes. It is also used in everyday objects like syringes and hydraulic jacks.

What is an example of a Pascal's Principle problem?

An example of a Pascal's Principle problem would be calculating the force required to lift a car using a hydraulic jack, where the small force applied to the small piston is transmitted and multiplied to lift the heavier car on the larger piston.

What is the equation for Pascal's Principle?

The equation for Pascal's Principle is P1 = P2, where P1 is the initial pressure and P2 is the final pressure. This equation shows that the pressure applied to an enclosed fluid is equally transmitted throughout the fluid.

What are the limitations of Pascal's Principle?

While Pascal's Principle is a useful concept, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the fluid is incompressible and that there are no external forces acting on the fluid. It also does not take into account factors such as friction and viscosity, which may affect the behavior of the fluid.