Friction Problem

by MellowOne
Tags: friction, solved
Share this thread:
MellowOne
Jan12-08, 09:13 PM
P: 44
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A bicyclist can coast down a 5 hill at a constant 8.0 km/h. Assume the force of friction (air resistance) is proportional to the speed v so that Ffr = cv.

(a) Calculate the value of the constant c.
________ kg/s

(b) What is the average force that must be applied in order to descend the hill at 18 km/h? The mass of the cyclist plus bicycle is 85 kg.
________N

2. Relevant equations
Sigma F = ma
Ffr = cv

3. The attempt at a solution
First i converted my 8 km/hr into 2.22 m/s. Then i went into the parallel forces which are Ff and Fwx. The sum of their forces is equal to 0 because its acceleration is 0 so Ff is equal to Fwx and Fwx is equal to sin5 times mg which equlaed .854m. Then i set that equal to 2.22c because Ff also equal that. Now I'm stuck because I don't have mass. I tried writing out all units and canceling out so that on kg/s was left, but that didn't work out.

Any ideas?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
dynamicsolo
Jan12-08, 10:27 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,664
You correctly found that cv = mg sin 5 . Go ahead and use the mass given for the cyclist in part (b); I think it's not intended to be used there exclusively. The "resistance" coefficient (largely due to air drag) will depend on the mass of the rider and bicycle; a different rider would have a different value for c.
MellowOne
Jan12-08, 10:43 PM
When using the mass given in part b, the answer came out to be approx 1 kg/s which wasn't correct. Is there something I missed or another way to approach this problem.

dynamicsolo
Jan12-08, 11:24 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,664
Friction Problem

Quote Quote by MellowOne View Post
When using the mass given in part b, the answer came out to be approx 1 kg/s which wasn't correct. Is there something I missed or another way to approach this problem.
I used what you set up and found

c = (85 kg) (9.81 m/sec^2) (sin 5) / (2.22 m/sec) .

Did you omit something?
MellowOne
Jan13-08, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I must have forgotten something cause I did it again and I got the right answer. Thanks a lot.

Register to reply