Solve Shuffleboard Problem: Acceleration & Distance

• Thread starter Cathartics
  • Start date
In summary: I think you're overcomplicating the problem. Just use the basic kinematics formulas for constant acceleration (x=1/2at^2 + v0t + x0) to solve for the time and distance traveled in each part of the problem. Keep in mind that the initial velocity for the second part of the problem is the final velocity of the first part of the problem.
Cathartics
A shuffleboard disk is accelerated at a constant rate from rest to a speed of 4.2 m/s over a 1.4 m distance by a player using a cue. At this point the disk loses contact with the cue and slows at a constant rate of 2.7 m/s2 until it stops.

(a) How much time elapses from when the disk begins to accelerate until it stops?
(b) What total distance does the disk travel?

I don't even know where to begin on this one, Please give me any hints, concept or formula's to begin with. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cathartics said:
A shuffleboard disk is accelerated at a constant rate from rest to a speed of 4.2 m/s over a 1.4 m distance by a player using a cue. At this point the disk loses contact with the cue and slows at a constant rate of 2.7 m/s2 until it stops.

(a) How much time elapses from when the disk begins to accelerate until it stops?

Break the problem into 2 pieces. First determine how long the cue is in contact with the disk, then determine how much more time it takes for the disk to come to a stop after the cue loses contact with it.

(b) What total distance does the disk travel?

Again, break it up into 2 pieces. Determine the distance traveled while the cue is in contact with the disc, then determine the additional distance traveled after the cue loses contact.

Firstly thanks tom for that info. Here is what i did.

first i found t1 that's when it was in contact with the cue where
vo= om/s (initial velocity), vf = 4.2 m/s (final velocity) and x= total distant
using the formula x = ((vo + vf)*t) / 2 then t = .66s this is the contact time.

After it loses contact i found how long did it traveled by using
vf = 0 (final velocity) and vo = 4.2 (initial velocity) and a = 2.7 m/s^2 using the formula
x = vf^2 - (4.2)^2 / - 2.7 which would yield 6.53 m

then by using the above value i found t for the first part of the problem by formula
x = 1/2 (vf+vo) *t where x =6.53 and vo = 4.2

answer (a) = 3.11s
answer (b) = 6.53m

But when i plug in the numbers it say's that I'm doing something wrong and answers dosent match. Please tell me what went wrong am i working on with a wrong concept or am i junt punching numbers to a formula, thanks in advance..

Any help? please!

---------------

Last edited:
Final call please help help!

Sorry, I was away for a few days.

first i found t1 that's when it was in contact with the cue where
vo= om/s (initial velocity), vf = 4.2 m/s (final velocity) and x= total distant
using the formula x = ((vo + vf)*t) / 2 then t = .66s this is the contact time.

That's correct.

After it loses contact i found how long did it traveled by using
vf = 0 (final velocity) and vo = 4.2 (initial velocity) and a = 2.7 m/s^2 using the formula
x = vf^2 - (4.2)^2 / - 2.7 which would yield 6.53 m

That's the right formula, but I get 3.27m not 6.53m.

That error will propagate through the rest of your calculation.

There's one other misconception you have.

then by using the above value i found t for the first part of the problem by formula
x = 1/2 (vf+vo) *t where x =6.53 and vo = 4.2

That doesn't make any sense. You already found t for the first part of the problem: t=0.66s. Also, why would you use x for the second part of the problem to find t for the first part?

answer (a) = 3.11s
answer (b) = 6.53m

This doesn't make any sense either. You're saying that the x you found for the second part of the problem is the same as x for the entire trip of the puck from start to finish. That would imply that the puck travels a zero distance for the first part of the problem, contrary to the given info.

1. What is the relationship between acceleration and distance in shuffleboard?

The relationship between acceleration and distance in shuffleboard is that the greater the acceleration, the farther the puck will travel. As the acceleration increases, the amount of time the puck is in contact with the board also increases, resulting in a longer distance traveled.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of a shuffleboard puck?

The acceleration of a shuffleboard puck can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes for the puck to travel that distance. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. How does air resistance affect the acceleration and distance of a shuffleboard puck?

Air resistance can negatively affect the acceleration and distance of a shuffleboard puck. As the puck travels through the air, it experiences air resistance, which acts opposite to the direction of the puck's motion. This can slow down the puck's acceleration and decrease the overall distance traveled.

4. Can the surface of the shuffleboard affect the acceleration and distance of a puck?

Yes, the surface of the shuffleboard can affect the acceleration and distance of a puck. If the surface is rough or uneven, it can create more friction, resulting in a slower acceleration and shorter distance traveled. A smooth and even surface can reduce friction and allow for a faster acceleration and longer distance traveled.

5. How can you increase the acceleration and distance of a shuffleboard puck?

To increase the acceleration and distance of a shuffleboard puck, you can apply more force to the puck when it is released, use a smoother and more even surface, and reduce any factors that may create additional friction, such as debris on the board or air resistance. Additionally, adjusting the angle and direction of the puck can also affect its acceleration and distance.