Tags: depressing, happy
Share this thread:
ZapperZ
Jan21-08, 05:31 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
Today is the most depressing day of the year.

So don't do anything I wouldn't do.

:)

Zz.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
neutrino
Jan21-08, 05:46 AM
P: 2,047
All this silliness should make you laugh.
CompuChip
Jan21-08, 07:26 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,300
Actually the article got me laughing... so it can't be that bad

lisab
Jan21-08, 07:40 AM
Mentor
P: 2,974
Happy Most Depressing Day of the Year

The article states that the peak for "depression" Google searches is November. This agrees with something I learned when I lived in Alaska. Most people have heard of "cabin fever," a temporary affliction that long-timers up there sometimes get.

The interesting thing is it peaks not in the winter but in October-November. It's the anticipation of the long winter that sets people off, not the reality of it.
tribdog
Jan21-08, 08:15 AM
P: 693
Do you exchange presents or just send cards? I haven't celebrated the Most depressing day of the year before. Maybe I'll just go out for dinner, I don't like Italian food so that's probably what I should get.
ZapperZ
Jan21-08, 08:32 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
I thought one celebrates the most depressing day by having a friend tells you all your shortcoming and failures in life? This is done, of course, over a very good bottle of champaign.

:)
CompuChip
Jan21-08, 08:51 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,300
Quote Quote by ZapperZ View Post
[...] over a very good bottle of champaign.:)
It should be a very good bottle, otherwise you'd wake up with a hangover tomorrow. Which will make you late for work, get you fired / fail your exam, and give you an even more depressing day.
neutrino
Jan21-08, 09:12 AM
P: 2,047
Quote Quote by CompuChip View Post
It should be a very good bottle, otherwise you'd wake up with a hangover tomorrow. Which will make you late for work, get you fired / fail your exam, and give you an even more depressing day.
Which contradicts the statement that the previous day was the most depressing during the year. Therefore, our assumption was wrong. Of course, there's the case where this could happen on Dec 31 - Jan 1, but during those days most of the world is really crazy to be depressed.
Moonbear
Jan21-08, 09:12 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
The interesting thing is it peaks not in the winter but in October-November. It's the anticipation of the long winter that sets people off, not the reality of it.
Interesting. Though that's also when the weather (at least around here) starts to change from warm and sunny to chilly and cloudy, so maybe it's the need to adjust to the change in weather not so much the duration of exposure to it (besides, by the mid-winter holidays, you can get on a plane and go someplace warm and sunny).

Today doesn't feel very depressing to me at all. It's the first day in about 3 weeks I've gotten to really sleep in. I have to make one short trip out to do a bit of work, but since it's a university holiday, I get the rest of the day off. It's bright and sunny (though bitter cold, but that doesn't matter when I can just enjoy basking in the sunlight streaming through a window), and my houseguest for two weeks left over the weekend, so I finally have my house back to myself. I thought today was a pretty great day. It would be wonderful if this is the most depressing a day ever got this year.
lisab
Jan21-08, 12:17 PM
Mentor
P: 2,974
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
Today doesn't feel very depressing to me at all. It's the first day in about 3 weeks I've gotten to really sleep in. I have to make one short trip out to do a bit of work, but since it's a university holiday, I get the rest of the day off. It's bright and sunny (though bitter cold, but that doesn't matter when I can just enjoy basking in the sunlight streaming through a window), and my houseguest for two weeks left over the weekend, so I finally have my house back to myself. I thought today was a pretty great day. It would be wonderful if this is the most depressing a day ever got this year.
Sounds like one of those rare, perfect days, when time seems to just laze along...nice!
brewnog
Jan21-08, 04:22 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,794
And I thought it was just because (for many) it's the last day after Christmas before payday.

Oh, and that you lose a shedload of cash with the onset of American recession...
OmCheeto
Jan21-08, 05:13 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,420
And just in case there's someone not celebrating in true spirit, here's something to cheer down those invested in the market:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7199552.stm
Monday, 21 January 2008, 20:55 GMT
Global shares tumble on US fears

Investors remain worried about the state of the US economy
Global stock indexes, including the UK FTSE 100, have fallen their most since the terrorist attacks of September 11 2001 amid fears of a recession.

The FTSE 100 index tumbled 5.5% to 5,578.2, wiping 77bn ($149bn) off the value of its listed shares.

Indexes in Paris and Frankfurt slumped by about 7%, while markets in Asia, India and South America also dropped.
Someone check the paper tomorrow and see how many brokers jumped out of windows today.

Now where's my whiskey bottle?
Ivan Seeking
Jan21-08, 05:37 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
This is a very happy day because we only have 364 days of Bush left!!!
binzing
Jan21-08, 05:43 PM
P: 252
Someone check out the suicide rates tomorrow, for the 21st.

Register to reply