Riddex Plus pest control device

In summary: WarrenI had a Degu in a cage and I put one of these in the basement of my home and the little degu went real silent. I had to unplug the unit - he returned to normal.
Here is another informercial product we should discuss. The claim is when you plug this small device into any electrical outlet it repels rodents and insects/bugs. Apparently it sends a patented pulse technology through the electrical system of a house. While doing some google searching some people claim it works, but it sounds super bogus to me. What do you think?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=riddexplus

Physics news on Phys.org
Repels rodents? I could try it with my guinea pigs, but they're mostly attracted to things. You know, carrots, shiny bits, the usual.

- Warren

About ten years ago we tried a similar product. When I saw a spider making a web directly over the ultrasonic transducer, I took it as a clue that they don't really do much.

Last edited:
My in-laws have the little pulsing clickers all over their house. They still get mice. It would seem the best rodent protection is of the feisty feline variety for them.

I had something similar in my kitchen for roaches (this was a long time ago, I keep a very neat kitchen) and when I finally gave up on it serveral had nested and died within it. Perhaps the pulse needs to be tuned to more country music frequencies. Then again, I would starve and die since I would never return to the kitchen.

New from Coleman: the "Achey, Breaky Roach Repeller!" :rofl:

When we moved into this place, I noticed that I was getting very edgy, tooth-grinding feelings in the cellar, attached garage, etc. I found and unplugged several of those little noise-makers, and no more problem. I have very sensitive high-frequency hearing, and those nasty buzzing things drive me nuts. BTW, at 55+ years of age, I can easily hear the mosquito ring-tone and it sets my teeth on edge.

And no, the pest-repellants do not appear to accomplish anything. If you want to get rid of rodents, invest in bait, traps, and poisons.

turbo-1 said:
When we moved into this place, I noticed that I was getting very edgy, tooth-grinding feelings in the cellar, attached garage, etc. I found and unplugged several of those little noise-makers, and no more problem.

They just left them plugged in? Was it a large apt or something?

Greg Bernhardt said:
They just left them plugged in? Was it a large apt or something?
They are very tiny devices and the previous occupant of this house believed that they would work. They don't keep mice away, but they bugged the crap out of me until I found them all and unplugged them.

Conkers are the best spider repellant.

I can't tell you if the thing could do anything in terms of running over all the electrical wiring of your house, but rodents do use ultrasonic calls for communication. On the other hand, I've only heard of them in the context of mating, so I'm not sure if it would chase away rodents or draw them in thinking they're going to "get some." :uhh:

I suppose that while having rats is bad, having unbearable horny rats must be even worse.

- Warren

I think I have super-mice. These devices seem to have little or no affect on them and they have also (just about) mastered taking bait off traps without triggering them...

riddex

The Federal Trade Commission has prohibited the sale of riddex units. They do not work. the company has been under investigation since 2003. Everyone should research products before you buy them, regardless of what the commercial or advertisement "claims".

tuvokPinion said:
The Federal Trade Commission has prohibited the sale of riddex units. They do not work. the company has been under investigation since 2003. Everyone should research products before you buy them, regardless of what the commercial or advertisement "claims".

Strange I just saw another ad for the product a few days ago!

Have not tried Riddex BUT, I have tried several others and they are GREAT>>>>

I have a country home that was always visited by mice, I put one on each of three levels - basement, first floor and second floor and have never (ever) had a mouse since.

I passed the message on to a friend who had a rental home and the tennants were always complaining about mice. He went out and bought two - he called me and told me how they never had another complaint. I am absolutely amazed at how efficient they are for rodents.

I had a Degu in a cage and I put one of these in the basement of my home and the little degu went real silent. I had to unplug the unit - he returned to normal.

They work, they are great, they are inexpensive and they last a long - long time.

GRR said:
Have not tried Riddex BUT, I have tried several others and they are GREAT>>>>

I have a country home that was always visited by mice, I put one on each of three levels - basement, first floor and second floor and have never (ever) had a mouse since.

I passed the message on to a friend who had a rental home and the tennants were always complaining about mice. He went out and bought two - he called me and told me how they never had another complaint. I am absolutely amazed at how efficient they are for rodents.

I had a Degu in a cage and I put one of these in the basement of my home and the little degu went real silent. I had to unplug the unit - he returned to normal.

They work, they are great, they are inexpensive and they last a long - long time.

Some just emit ultrasonic tones directly from the unit, which is more likely what you got. The device described above is claiming to work through the home's electrical system, and their claims extend beyond just rodents.

If it did run through the home electric system, what sort of interference would that cause for anything and everything else plugged into that same circuit?

I agree with GRR. I bought a new two story paired home (duplex) in Colorado in 2001. I had two similar units plugged in. One upstairs and one downstairs as recommended by Riddex. It was seven years before we noticed any cobwebs. We never had any rodent problems either. I recently purchased two units from Riddex and they were delivered on time. So, I guess they are still in business. ( FTC? please) I have found my success came from how I installed them. For best possible griding, position them on opposing walls. i.e., I plugged the downstairs unit on the south wall center. The unit upstairs is plugged in on the north wall. They could be east or west too. Give it a try. They work for me. I couldn't be happier.

JJH said:
I agree with GRR. I bought a new two story paired home (duplex) in Colorado in 2001. I had two similar units plugged in. One upstairs and one downstairs as recommended by Riddex. It was seven years before we noticed any cobwebs. We never had any rodent problems either. I recently purchased two units from Riddex and they were delivered on time. So, I guess they are still in business. ( FTC? please) I have found my success came from how I installed them. For best possible griding, position them on opposing walls. i.e., I plugged the downstairs unit on the south wall center. The unit upstairs is plugged in on the north wall. They could be east or west too. Give it a try. They work for me. I couldn't be happier.

You're basing this all on not having rodents in the house? Maybe it just means your house was well constructed so they aren't getting in. I never had rodents in my previous house either, and only one in my current house. The current house, it's not much of a mystery though, since I live next door to a large field that is likely filled with little field mice. My cat takes care of cobwebs; haven't seen any since I've gotten her. :uhh:

GRR and JJH? One post each? What are the odds that they work at Riddex?
I've never heard anything good about those ultrasonic pest repellers. In fact, I think I've heard more good things about psychic pest control. If your house is shaped like a pyramid you are supposed to never have a spider problem. Scarab beetles are another story though.

tribdog said:
GRR and JJH? One post each? What are the odds that they work at Riddex?

Maybe, but they live in different countries.

We have quite a few people join to post once in PC.

There is no device either ultrasound or with uv rays that goes to the animal or insects "fear factor". If it bothers them, it will be only for a short time until they get used to it. Who says they can even hear or see it and if they do, why would it bother them? That is why it takes several devices and constant reinforcement to haze them. Even a little Jimmy Page at 3 am won't get them to move! A little 21st century snake oil. But if it is for sale it must work! Lasers work on some species of birds, depending on the structure of their eye. Dogs don't see it, but cats do and think it is a toy. Who knows about other animals. The old fashioned methods work best. Snap and pop are the operative words.

Hi there, I have read all reviews on this product & still am dumbfounded...Heres my dilema...we moved into a rental out in the country which I love completely and we have been here for over year & 1/2...I noticed our landlord had those little devices plugged into the walls in the garage...well we had no mice in the house but there had been a few in the garage we found during the winter time...so needless to say my hubby said they were bulls&$t and tossed them...(he lacks patience lol) well we did ok for the rest of the year and NOW...( this is both humiliating and comical at the same time) Those little buggers are everywhere! We are a fam of 4, two daughters, daddy and myself and we are VERY clean people...well one day I went to get a spoon and addorned around all utensils were little "gift" droppings...I litterally freaked out! I called my hubby and told him what had happened, cleaned up the mess and used another cabinet up high for my utensils, well that night my hubby came home with traditional $1.99 metal traps that now are made with a piece of plastic looking cheese on it which I find remarkably stupid, but he went and baited one with peanut butter no less (a trick from my father, and yes we didn't believe at first, I laughed like he was insane! ) and not more than 5 mins went by and we heard a loud click, bang sound...he went and checked and somehow we had a "2 fer 1" special in the drawer...he set the same one again, sat down and "CLICK< BANG another one...I could go on forever...but honest and truthfully within a 3 hour time span on one faithful old fashion snap there heads off trap...my hubby...the good soul he is with his very weak stomach... had dispossed of a total of 12 field mice! You can not imagine my shock, fear, sickening feeling of how MANY there were and of course a mixture of excitement for capturing all those little field mice during a short period of time...there was one moment that my husband set the trap in the drawer made it back to the couch and it had caught another victim! We were just sitting there in shock! OK OK now your probably wondering why I shared in such detail about this and I want to say this...
1-landlord put in baseboard heating and didn't plug the holes the pipe was shooting out of therefore that's how they were coming in, we have corn up STILL all around us and they were trying to find warmth with the colder weather approaching...
2-I did go buy some steel wool and foam for sealing up the holes and have success so far, our total body count from the start within 3 days was 23 total!
3- I did try again to use those electronic plug-ins not Riddex per say I went to Ace Hardware and bought some of theirs...no luck we had 3 more poor souls meet their maker in the Omnious drawer... after plugging them in...So I really don't know what to think about any and all products out there for getting rid of pests...also everyone says " oh I let my cat at em' and we haven't had a problem since"

Well Well Good For You! I have 3 cats that did Absolutely NOTHING! That was another mind blower...
Moral of the story is...the old way is the best way...metal snapper and a little peanut butter goes along way...I just PRAY this will be the last of them...I would like to express some thoughts to the landlord though..:mad:..especially since my two girls are ages 14 months and 4 years...the floor used to be their playground...Not anymore until I get a pressure washer and some bleach :-)

Thank you for letting me share my story Makes me feel better to know there's others out there struggling with this too, just maybe not as much as us lol

Sherry K

Ivan Seeking said:
Maybe, but they live in different countries.

We have quite a few people join to post once in PC.

tribdog was right. this is classic shilling. sign up to make the one post and never come back. check the activity.

I have a pile of these crap rigs, left by the previous owner. If anybody wants them, PM me and arrange to send me enough money to ship them. They are worthless. This place was infested by field mice the first winter we lived here. D-con and similar anti-coagulant baits work - ultrasound doesn't. As a very nasty side-effect, I was on-edge and stressed until I found and unplugged all those little boxes.

Thanks people for all your comments. You saved me a bundle of cash!

turbo-1 said:
As a very nasty side-effect, I was on-edge and stressed until I found and unplugged all those little boxes.

I hadn't seen this when you posted it. :rofl: So they work on turbo's, but not mice. Were they audible to you?

And, yes, the anticoagulant baits work best. My new house had a major mousey infestation when I bought it, and that's what the exterminator put down. A few dehydrated mousey corpses later, I have not seen hide nor hair nor poop of a mouse since. Of course, once my cat moved in with me here, I had to hunt down all the little packets of mouse baits so she wouldn't end up eating them or mice that had consumed them. I only leave them in the garage now, and will need to resort to snap traps in places inside the house that the cat can't get into, and hope for the best in areas where the cat has access (she's not a good mouser). But I think the likely entry points have been identified, so only the garage is at risk now, but I suppose I'll know for sure when fall and winter arrive and the field mice are seeking warm places to nest.

Hi friends and moderators. I am new in this blog and I just want to share my ideas about this pest control things. Thanks.

There are lots of ways to eradicate pest. There are natural ways, chemical and organic ways. Now I wonder which is more effective I need help. Please tell me which ways are effective. Please!

Moonbear said:
I hadn't seen this when you posted it. :rofl: So they work on turbo's, but not mice. Were they audible to you?
I missed this last post. Yes, I can hear them loud and clear - a nasty high-pitched buzz. After many years working around boilers, paper machines, and other noisy places, I can still easily hear the "mosquito" ring-tones, too. The ultrasonic pest repellents didn't faze the mice, but they annoyed the crap out of me.

Hmm, this is strange.. I've actually heard pretty good things about the http://www.riddex.org/" [Broken] Plus. I have a buddy who swears by them. It seems like a lot of people have an opinion in this thread, but not a lot of people have actually used them themselves. Has anyone out there actually used one?

Last edited by a moderator:

I found the TV ad for this device implausible. For it to work by sending any kind of signal over the house wiring would require the target organism to have some kind of receiver, responsive to the radiated signal. Three types of radiated signal come to mind: electric field, magnetic field, and acoustic field caused by mechanical vibration of the conductors, which could result from an AC magnetic field.

The ad claims that each unit covers one floor of a building. Clearly this has to depend on how the building is wired. If each floor has a single branch line from a common fuse or breaker box, then at least the required topology is satisfied. How many homes would conform to this? I believe most homes have at least the ground floor divided up into multiple separate lines from the central fuse/breaker box. Coverage would either be limited to a single branch circuit or else include multiple floors. This was the part of the ad that seemed to me the least plausible.

All of the wiring in my new (unfinished) home is BX (spiral sheathed) cable. I doubt any significant electric field would radiate from this wiring. Even with unshielded cable, unless the wire length is a significant fraction of a wavelength (say, > wavelength/20) the only significant electric field would be in the space between the conductors. If the cable length is 100 feet from the fuse box to the device, this corresponds to a minimum frequency of around 500 KHz. Shorter lengths would require higher frequencies. Can mice, cockroaches, etc. detect this? Also, since electric field is produced by voltage rather than current, and at 500 KHz the transformer out on the pole would present a rather high source impedance, the voltage signal would be essentially the same across every branch circuit served by the same transformer. It wouldn't matter which floor or branch circuit the unit was on. It could be even in another house served by the same transformer.

What about magnetic radiation? Since the currents in the two conductors are in opposite directions, they produce opposing magnetic fields. Magnetic radiation would be detectable only very close to the cable, such that one conductor is significantly closer to the receiver than the other conductor. Only the portion of the cable which carries current to the device would radiate any magnetic field signal. To maximize coverage, the device would therefore have to be as far as possible from the fuse/breaker box. While many organisms are sensitive to magnetic fields, I believe only their navigation is affected. I have no idea whether they can detect AC fields.

The last possibility I considered was acoustic radiation from the conductors due to the force from their magnetic fields. The conductors repel each other with a force proportional to the current squared (correct me on this, somebody, if necessary). If the device works at all in accordance with the claim that the house wiring delivers the signal to the receiving organisms, this seems to me the most likely modality. Since coverage would depend upon how far the device is, along the wiring, from the fuse/breaker panel, it would also account for some of the inconsistent results reported by various users.

I recall a childhood experience which seems to support this hypothesis. I was in the basement using my father's old, rather large, electric soldering iron. My mother was upstairs using either the vacuum cleaner or the electric mixer, I don't remember which. I could hear the electrical noise from the appliance as a sound emanating from the soldering iron! It was unmistakable because I could hear the appliance upstairs varying in speed and simultaneously hear the sound from the iron. I wasn't about to take my father's soldering iron apart to investigate (hey, it still works 50 years later), but I suspect that the heating element is coiled and the current through it was modulated by voltage noise across the power line. The impedance of the transformer outside the house would have permitted the relatively small ripple current through the appliance to produce this voltage signal. The modulated current in the heating element produced a modulated magnetic field which produced vibration, which produced the sound.

So how much sound would emanate from the house wiring? Probably not much, and it depends on the current signal. If the device injects a current signal into the power line, it must be at a voltage sufficient to pass this current through the impedance of the line at that frequency. This impedance, for high frequency sounds, is rather high if it's determined by only the transformer on the pole. But that's never the case - it depends on other equipment connected to the line. This would be another reason for inconsistent results from different users.

New to this forum, and didn't see any "edit previous post" button. I mentioned above that the power line's impedance (I meant at frequencies of a few KHz or higher) is very dependent on loads connected across the line. It occurs to me that in the recommended installation there would be more than one Riddex Plus unit connected. I wonder if each unit contains a "wave trap" which presents a very low impedance across the line at the signal frequencies. This way each unit would be loaded by all the others, ensuring as high a current signal as the design supports.

Another thought: I've heard at least two sound-generating devices made for this purpose, which had speakers and weren't designed to use the house wiring for communication with the pests. One type makes a clicking sound at long intervals. Another makes a chorus of what I'd classify as squeaking noises. Since the repulsive force between the power line conductors is proportional to current squared, it would suffice to generate a high frequency carrier and amplitude-modulate it with the sound signal. The square-law would serve as an AM demodulator (detector, to EE's and Hams). This would simplify the wave-trap design (if it has one). The ad's reference to "digital pulses" can mean a lot of things pertaining to the internals, and hopefully doesn't imply an attempt to send digital messages to the varmints!

I'm curious enough to put an oscilloscope across the line and look at the signal, but not curious enough to buy a unit to generate a signal to look at. Guess I'll wait for somebody to discard one in my direction:wink:.

Some things need to be de-invented. If this thing DOES work, denies you of that oh, so satisfying "SNAP".

yes, I'm cruel when it comes to varmints in the house

I have read the FTC ACTION against Riddex and I cannot believe the FTC is still allowing the advertising! DONT GIVE UP ON ELECTRONIC PEST CONTROL HOWEVER...I found a product called the that has NO FTC ACTIONS ad is the only product of its kind that did a 5 year University study to prove the efficacy on mice, rats, and roaches. I found this product whe researching chemical and pesticide free alternatives because my son has asthma and chemicals are a no-no, plus there are now substantial proven links of indoor pesticides to Children's Leukemia, Parkinson's disease, ADHD, and children's cognitive development.

Last edited by a moderator:
<h2>1. How does the Riddex Plus pest control device work?</h2><p>The Riddex Plus pest control device emits ultrasonic waves and electromagnetic pulses that are designed to repel pests such as rodents and insects. These waves and pulses interfere with the pests' nervous system, making it uncomfortable for them to stay in the area.</p><h2>2. Is the Riddex Plus pest control device safe for humans and pets?</h2><p>Yes, the Riddex Plus pest control device is safe for humans and pets. It does not use any harmful chemicals or poisons and works by emitting non-toxic waves and pulses. However, it is recommended to keep the device out of reach of children and pets.</p><h2>3. How long does it take for the Riddex Plus pest control device to be effective?</h2><p>The effectiveness of the Riddex Plus pest control device may vary depending on the type and severity of infestation. In some cases, it may take a few days to a few weeks for the device to show visible results. It is important to keep the device plugged in continuously for best results.</p><h2>4. Can the Riddex Plus pest control device be used in all areas of the house?</h2><p>Yes, the Riddex Plus pest control device can be used in all areas of the house. It is recommended to plug in the device in the room where the pest problem is most severe. However, for maximum coverage, it is also recommended to use multiple devices in different areas of the house.</p><h2>5. Do I need to replace the Riddex Plus pest control device?</h2><p>No, the Riddex Plus pest control device does not need to be replaced. It is designed to be a long-term solution for pest control. However, it is recommended to replace the device every 3-5 years to ensure maximum effectiveness.</p>

1. How does the Riddex Plus pest control device work?

The Riddex Plus pest control device emits ultrasonic waves and electromagnetic pulses that are designed to repel pests such as rodents and insects. These waves and pulses interfere with the pests' nervous system, making it uncomfortable for them to stay in the area.

2. Is the Riddex Plus pest control device safe for humans and pets?

Yes, the Riddex Plus pest control device is safe for humans and pets. It does not use any harmful chemicals or poisons and works by emitting non-toxic waves and pulses. However, it is recommended to keep the device out of reach of children and pets.

3. How long does it take for the Riddex Plus pest control device to be effective?

The effectiveness of the Riddex Plus pest control device may vary depending on the type and severity of infestation. In some cases, it may take a few days to a few weeks for the device to show visible results. It is important to keep the device plugged in continuously for best results.

4. Can the Riddex Plus pest control device be used in all areas of the house?

Yes, the Riddex Plus pest control device can be used in all areas of the house. It is recommended to plug in the device in the room where the pest problem is most severe. However, for maximum coverage, it is also recommended to use multiple devices in different areas of the house.

5. Do I need to replace the Riddex Plus pest control device?

No, the Riddex Plus pest control device does not need to be replaced. It is designed to be a long-term solution for pest control. However, it is recommended to replace the device every 3-5 years to ensure maximum effectiveness.