Riddex Plus pest control device

by Greg Bernhardt
Tags: control, device, pest, riddex
Share this thread:
Greg Bernhardt
Jan29-08, 02:50 PM
Admin
P: 9,562
Here is another informercial product we should discuss. The claim is when you plug this small device into any electrical outlet it repels rodents and insects/bugs. Apparently it sends a patented pulse technology through the electrical system of a house. While doing some google searching some people claim it works, but it sounds super bogus to me. What do you think?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=riddexplus
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
chroot
Jan29-08, 03:09 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
Repels rodents? I could try it with my guinea pigs, but they're mostly attracted to things. You know, carrots, shiny bits, the usual.

- Warren
Ivan Seeking
Jan29-08, 03:56 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
About ten years ago we tried a similar product. When I saw a spider making a web directly over the ultrasonic transducer, I took it as a clue that they don't really do much.

Mech_Engineer
Jan29-08, 04:31 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,241
Riddex Plus pest control device

My in-laws have the little pulsing clickers all over their house. They still get mice. It would seem the best rodent protection is of the feisty feline variety for them.
Ronnin
Jan29-08, 04:44 PM
P: 208
I had something similar in my kitchen for roaches (this was a long time ago, I keep a very neat kitchen) and when I finally gave up on it serveral had nested and died within it. Perhaps the pulse needs to be tuned to more country music frequencies. Then again, I would starve and die since I would never return to the kitchen.
russ_watters
Jan29-08, 05:25 PM
Mentor
P: 22,297
New from Coleman: the "Achey, Breaky Roach Repeller!"
turbo
Jan29-08, 06:21 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
When we moved into this place, I noticed that I was getting very edgy, tooth-grinding feelings in the cellar, attached garage, etc. I found and unplugged several of those little noise-makers, and no more problem. I have very sensitive high-frequency hearing, and those nasty buzzing things drive me nuts. BTW, at 55+ years of age, I can easily hear the mosquito ring-tone and it sets my teeth on edge.

And no, the pest-repellants do not appear to accomplish anything. If you want to get rid of rodents, invest in bait, traps, and poisons.
Greg Bernhardt
Feb2-08, 12:04 AM
Admin
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
When we moved into this place, I noticed that I was getting very edgy, tooth-grinding feelings in the cellar, attached garage, etc. I found and unplugged several of those little noise-makers, and no more problem.
They just left them plugged in? Was it a large apt or something?
turbo
Feb2-08, 02:22 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
They just left them plugged in? Was it a large apt or something?
They are very tiny devices and the previous occupant of this house believed that they would work. They don't keep mice away, but they bugged the crap out of me until I found them all and unplugged them.
wolram
Feb2-08, 03:30 AM
PF Gold
P: 3,685
Conkers are the best spider repellant.
Moonbear
Feb3-08, 08:47 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
I can't tell you if the thing could do anything in terms of running over all the electrical wiring of your house, but rodents do use ultrasonic calls for communication. On the other hand, I've only heard of them in the context of mating, so I'm not sure if it would chase away rodents or draw them in thinking they're going to "get some."
chroot
Feb4-08, 01:34 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
I suppose that while having rats is bad, having unbearable horny rats must be even worse.

- Warren
matthyaouw
Feb11-08, 02:10 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,216
I think I have super-mice. These devices seem to have little or no affect on them and they have also (just about) mastered taking bait off traps without triggering them...
tuvokPinion
May26-08, 06:28 PM
P: 1
The Federal Trade Commission has prohibited the sale of riddex units. They do not work. the company has been under investigation since 2003. Everyone should research products before you buy them, regardless of what the commercial or advertisement "claims".
Greg Bernhardt
Jun3-08, 02:42 PM
Admin
Quote Quote by tuvokPinion View Post
The Federal Trade Commission has prohibited the sale of riddex units. They do not work. the company has been under investigation since 2003. Everyone should research products before you buy them, regardless of what the commercial or advertisement "claims".
Strange I just saw another ad for the product a few days ago!
GRR
Jun28-08, 08:22 PM
Have not tried Riddex BUT, I have tried several others and they are GREAT>>>>

I have a country home that was always visited by mice, I put one on each of three levels - basement, first floor and second floor and have never (ever) had a mouse since.

I passed the message on to a friend who had a rental home and the tennants were always complaining about mice. He went out and bought two - he called me and told me how they never had another complaint. I am absolutely amazed at how efficient they are for rodents.

I had a Degu in a cage and I put one of these in the basement of my home and the little degu went real silent. I had to unplug the unit - he returned to normal.

They work, they are great, they are inexpensive and they last a long - long time.
Moonbear
Jun29-08, 03:16 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
Quote Quote by GRR View Post
Have not tried Riddex BUT, I have tried several others and they are GREAT>>>>

I have a country home that was always visited by mice, I put one on each of three levels - basement, first floor and second floor and have never (ever) had a mouse since.

I passed the message on to a friend who had a rental home and the tennants were always complaining about mice. He went out and bought two - he called me and told me how they never had another complaint. I am absolutely amazed at how efficient they are for rodents.

I had a Degu in a cage and I put one of these in the basement of my home and the little degu went real silent. I had to unplug the unit - he returned to normal.

They work, they are great, they are inexpensive and they last a long - long time.
Some just emit ultrasonic tones directly from the unit, which is more likely what you got. The device described above is claiming to work through the home's electrical system, and their claims extend beyond just rodents.

If it did run through the home electric system, what sort of interference would that cause for anything and everything else plugged into that same circuit?
JJH
Oct7-08, 02:29 PM
I agree with GRR. I bought a new two story paired home (duplex) in Colorado in 2001. I had two similar units plugged in. One upstairs and one downstairs as recommended by Riddex. It was seven years before we noticed any cobwebs. We never had any rodent problems either. I recently purchased two units from Riddex and they were delivered on time. So, I guess they are still in business. ( FTC? please) I have found my success came from how I installed them. For best possible griding, position them on opposing walls. i.e., I plugged the downstairs unit on the south wall center. The unit upstairs is plugged in on the north wall. They could be east or west too. Give it a try. They work for me. I couldn't be happier.

Register to reply