Register to reply

UFO-Electromagnetic Levitation Demonstration

Share this thread:
Unbeliever
Feb12-08, 07:14 PM
P: 22
Can anyone help me understand what's happening in this video? Is it a total bamboozle, or is there anything to it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP5JgG1-0jg
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
russ_watters
Feb12-08, 09:06 PM
Mentor
P: 22,234
It looks like normal magnetic levitation to me. Nothing particularly exciting about that.
ranger
Feb12-08, 09:21 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,685
Just search youtube for magnetic levitation and you'll get some interesting vids. Also diamagnetic levitation is also quite interesting. Ever see a floating (or flying) frog?

Math Jeans
Feb13-08, 11:02 AM
P: 340
UFO-Electromagnetic Levitation Demonstration

Quote Quote by ranger View Post
Ever see a floating (or flying) frog?
No, but I wouldn't mind it. I should check that out.
Unbeliever
Feb13-08, 12:42 PM
P: 22
Yeah, I've seen that floating frog. They used an extremely powerful magnetic field. Fascinating!
Math Jeans
Feb13-08, 12:47 PM
P: 340
Is this it?

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=HxEW11sVS8o
ranger
Feb13-08, 08:38 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,685
Yup. That'd be it. The official website is here:
http://www.hfml.ru.nl/froglev.html
TVP45
Feb15-08, 10:17 AM
P: 1,127
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
It looks like normal magnetic levitation to me. Nothing particularly exciting about that.
Well, sort of. The coil looks OK, but I can't see the stabilization. Is there something in that platform underneath? Or am I completely missing it?
MrHayman
Feb27-10, 11:05 AM
P: 14
The coil creates a alternating magnetic field around it. This induces an opposing alternating magnetic field, from eddy currents, in the alluminum plate under the coil.

You can do it with a small coil of wire plugged directly into the wall, if the coil has the right reactance. To large a coil will be too heavy. To small a coil will melt. You need the metal plate and alluminum or copper is best.

Would be interesting to calculate how intense a field you would need to get enough inductive reaction from the air or vacuume. So you could do it without the metal plate.
flatmaster
Mar6-10, 10:56 AM
P: 504
Quote Quote by MrHayman View Post
The coil creates a alternating magnetic field around it. This induces an opposing alternating magnetic field, from eddy currents, in the alluminum plate under the coil.

You can do it with a small coil of wire plugged directly into the wall, if the coil has the right reactance. To large a coil will be too heavy. To small a coil will melt. You need the metal plate and alluminum or copper is best.

Would be interesting to calculate how intense a field you would need to get enough inductive reaction from the air or vacuume. So you could do it without the metal plate.
This is the mechanism I've heard of before for this phenomenon. I'm sure the magnetic permeability of the metal plate and the AC frequency play a role. Is it just coincidence that 120 Hz is in the correct frequency range? What frequency would give you maximum efficiency?
MrHayman
Mar6-10, 11:33 AM
P: 14
It just easiest to plug it right into the wall. You wind the coil to get maximum current, without melting the coil or blowing the breaker. I would hazard a guess there is a certain frequency which would maximize the distance. There has got to be a paper somewhere that has experimented with all the variables?

You can do the opposite as well, floating an aluminum plate or bowl over top of a strong AC electromagnet.

http://www.ovalecotech.ca/ovlpics/faralev.gif

Register to reply