Register to reply

Series - Testing for Convergence / Divergence

by steelphantom
Tags: convergence, divergence, series, testing
Share this thread:
steelphantom
Feb28-08, 09:23 PM
P: 159
I have a few series which I'm having trouble proving whether they converge or diverge. I know the following tests for convergence: comparison test, ratio test, n-th term test, and root test. Here are the series and what I have tried so far:

[tex]\sum[/tex] n -1 / n2 : I'm assuming this series diverges, since it behaves like 1/n, which also diverges. I'm trying to use the comparison test to see if I can find a "smaller" series which also diverges, but coming up blank. I tried the ratio test to no avail, since it gives 1.

[tex]\sum_{n=2}^\infty[/tex] 1 / (n + (-1)n)2 : I'm really not sure where to begin with this one. The (-1)n is really throwing me off. I'm assuming this converges.

And finally,

[tex]\sum[/tex] n! / nn : I tried the ratio test, canceling out the factorial and getting the ratio of nn / (n + 1)n. This limit seems to be 1, so the ratio test doesn't really help me here. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Dick
Feb28-08, 09:51 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,235
For the first one, how about saying (n-1)/n^2>=(n/2)/n^2? Notice that doesn't work for n=1, but that's ok. You can always ignore any finite number of terms. For the second one, your series is LARGER than 1/(2n)^2. That's no good. Being larger than a convergent series doesn't tell you much. How about 1/(n/2)^2? The last one is more delicate. Do you know Stirling's formula?
jhicks
Feb28-08, 09:58 PM
P: 336
For the third one, n^n/(n+1)^n does NOT approach 1 as n becomes large.

steelphantom
Feb28-08, 10:16 PM
Series - Testing for Convergence / Divergence

Ok, thanks for the help on the first two! I noticed that my series was larger than 1/(2n)^2 right after I posted. Dumb mistake. I don't know Stirling's formula. Is there another way to go about this?

jhicks, if n^n/(n+1)^n doesn't approach 1, I can only assume it approaches a number less than 1, in which case the series would converge. How could I show this limit is less than 1?
Dick
Feb28-08, 10:22 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,235
jhicks is right. (n/(n+1))^n=1/((n+1)/n)^n=1/(1+1/n)^n. Does that look familiar?
steelphantom
Feb28-08, 10:29 PM
Ah, I see it now. Thanks a lot!

Register to reply