What Determines the Characteristics of a Wave?

• Thread starter baywax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary: Microwave technology is good at picking up signals that are very low in energy. So, when scientists tried to look at the sky using other technologies, they found that the radiation was too low in energy to see with those technologies. They used microwave technology and were able to see the radiation even though it was very low in energy.In summary, the background radiation is a wave because it is a low energy, uniform, and pervasive phenomenon that can be detected using microwave technology.
Giles said:
The only people the wave theory would benefit (if found to be true) are those interested in science purely as an avenue to understand the fundamental workings of this amazing universe.

Its still a cool theory. I really thought the whole idea behind science was to understand the fundimental working of the universe... not necessarily to make a profit from it. I know Edison was fairly motivated by bucks... but he was an entrepreneur. I have many friends in high places with regard to science, and the only profit they chase after is free dinners and hotel rooms when on speaking engagements.

In fact I've constantly prodded one very popular scientist to write a book so she can fund her own research without having to go to the NRF or Congress or even MicroSoft etc... and live more comfortably. But all she's really interested in is making it easier for children to learn and how to facilitate the parents role in that endeavor. She says... "I'm a scientist, Jim, not a goddamn marketing puke.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a lot of scientists like your friend. Unfortunately, though, the majority are reliant on the current set of principles for their livelihoods, and have a tenancy to malign anyone who comes out with a solid theory to the contrary (such as those mentioned above). The word "crackpot" and others like it are often used to dismiss anyone that deviates from the accepted paradigm. Interestingly, particularly in the case of SSW, no one is able to demonstrate the reasons “why” it’s flawed… which is probably the most telling sign that their arguments are emotive rather than rational.

Of course, this has happened throughout history to anyone who’s ideas were truly revolutionary, so it is hardly surprising. Still, you’d think we’d have learned that lesson already...

The scientific progress made during the first part of last century couldn't be compared to any other time in history. What facilitated it was the fact that the scientific community was more accepting to new ideas, and could envision the technological potential they promised.

Giles said:
The scientific progress made during the first part of last century couldn't be compared to any other time in history. What facilitated it was the fact that the scientific community was more accepting to new ideas, and could envision the technological potential they promised.

True enough, and it was also the fact that old ideas were proven blatantly wrong because of better technology and better observations. With every old theory being blown out the window, one would be willing to entertain more alternatives in the name of science. Today we may have reached a plateau of tolerance for new ideas. It may be attributable to economics and peer pressure or it may be that the criteria for proof is more detailed and much higher in caliber. Perhaps obtaining solid evidence of wave states presents a challenge, under today's scrutinizing scientific standards.

I'd like to know more about the standing wave.

robertm said:
baywax,

You might be interested in this program premiering Tuesday (5/13/08) on the science channel Joao Magueijo's Big Bang:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/João_Magueijo

Thank you robertm... I'm glad to see the theory of "faster than light" was first proposed by John Mofat, a Canuck scientist. Maybe the Science Channel program will get here sooner than expected.

OK... I've been looking around a bit into standing waves... and found this

Standing Wave
(Explanation by Superposition with the Reflected Wave)

Is this what matter would look like if we could see it as a standing wave?
(Interactive animation)

http://www.walter-fendt.de/ph14e/stwaverefl.htm

Cool (:cool:) site with lots of physics applets.

edit... there is also an applet illustrating Standing Longitudinal Waves

http://www.walter-fendt.de/ph14e/stlwaves.htm

You can change the dynamics of this demo as well.

Last edited:
Benjamin Franklin warns us to:

"Never confuse motion with action"