Gravity and mass of two objects

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the ratio of two unknown masses on a straight line with a small red particle between them. The particle does not move at a certain point, indicating that the forces are balanced. The equations F1 = G*m*m1/r1^2 and F2 = G*m*m2/r2^2 are used to find the ratio, with the hint to divide F1 by F2. The conversation also mentions that the left and right side of the line have a minimum and maximum value, with the middle being represented by 0 and 1 respectively.
AnkhUNC

Homework Statement

There are two masses of unknown weight on a straight line with a small red particle between them. At x (Measured from the center of m1) = .515 the particle does not move. What is the ratio of the two masses? i.e. m2/m1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So do I use F = G*m1*m2/r^2? Since the particle isn't moving then the forces are balanced does this mean F = 0 then?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi AnkhUNC! :smile:
AnkhUNC said:
So do I use F = G*m1*m2/r^2?

Not exactly … you use F1 = G*m*m1/r1^2 and F2 = G*m*m2/r2^2 and F1 = F2.

Hint: what is the relationship between m1/m2 and r1/r2? :smile:

On the right side the min x = .043 on the left side the max is .957. It starts out at .5 though which is in the middle so I guess <- is 0 and -> is 1.

r1/r2 = 1, they're both .5 away so .5/.5 = 1.

m2 is greater than m1 because the attraction is stronger so does m2 = .515 and m1 = .485?

So F = G*m*m1*m2?

AnkhUNC said:
On the right side the min x = .043 on the left side the max is .957. It starts out at .5 though which is in the middle so I guess <- is 0 and -> is 1.

Sorry, AnkhUNC, but I honestly have no idea what this means. :confused: :cry:
tiny-tim said:
F1 = G*m*m1/r1^2 and F2 = G*m*m2/r2^2 and F1 = F2.

Hint: divide F1 by F2. :smile:

What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards each other. It is one of the fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away.

How is the force of gravity calculated?

The force of gravity is calculated using the equation F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between their centers of mass.

What is the relationship between mass and gravity?

The relationship between mass and gravity is direct. The more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational pull. This means that objects with larger masses will have a greater force of gravity between them.

How does the distance between two objects affect their gravitational pull?

The force of gravity decreases as the distance between two objects increases. This means that the farther apart two objects are, the weaker their gravitational attraction will be. This relationship is described by the inverse square law.

Can gravity be canceled out?

No, gravity cannot be canceled out. It is a fundamental force of nature and is always present between objects with mass. However, the effects of gravity can be countered by other forces, such as the force of thrust in a rocket launching into space.